My P4 3.0 just died...

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Asmoday, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Falstaff

Falstaff Old Codger

oh my god.....I never considered that...cpu's are so precious, this might sound odd, but I have all of mine from the first 286 and up from all my own machines, I keep them in a little box for safekeeping for who knows what purpose, wow....a dead chip
    I should write a eulogy for the smoked P4, seems only fitting

2. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Ouch! But that would be my first thought also. Seems Cart didn't follow my recommendations in the other thread like keeping the cpu at 100% load, 100% of the time. This is the most important thing to do next to covering everything with lots and lots of dielectric grease. Should be able to RMA if still under warranty though, Intel will just send out a replacement without checking the cpu.

3. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

The thing is..the cpu was working fine the night before, it was when i turned the computer on the day after...it just wouldn't start... :(

4. dipstick

dipstick New Member

Try leaving it out in open air for a day or two, maybe condensation built up under the heatspreader. When I removed the heatspreader from my A64 I noticed it wasn't sealed all the way around, which got me a little nervous. Maybe the P4 is the same?

5. No_Style

No_Style Styleless Wonder

Sorry for your loss dude.

I hope Kakarot is right and your CPU gets a second wind

6. WildChild

WildChild I'm Still Watching

That sucks BIGTIME, sorry for your loss, damn we sound like someone died in this thread...lol, you'll be back up and running again, at least your not at a total loss without a system to have access to things, could be worse, the whole thing could've gone up in flames.

7. merlinxi

merlinxi The Paranoid Cook

This is why overclocking is a bad idea.

This is why I NEVER overclock. I have seen many people overclocking their Pentiums and video cards, so they get a whole 1000 more benchmark test in the 3dMark, or 10 more FPS in this game. It's not a big deal, yeah 20 fps to 30 can be seen by the naked eye, but that tells me, Get a new Video card! I see people with there ultimate water cooling systems 6 hard drives in there system everything overclocked to the max. Water cooling pipes everywhere, (which give almost no more cooling then 10 degrees at max which is NOTHING in my eyes. I actually tested a theory which my friend and I tried. We dipped our WHOLE entire system (no floopy or cd-rom drivers), in Cooking oil. Since it is non-conductive everything worked fine and the fans made a nice bubble like air effect in the oil. Whils this is totally in the cooking oil, if there is a way you can keep the oil cold, this would probably be the ultimate cooling. Instead of wasting hundreds of dollars on over priced water cooling systems. Come on, $200 for 2 degrees less in MOST cases I have seen. Unless you can afford an Air conditioning unit hooked up to the pipes it is not worth it. BUT I say to myself, instead of wasting MONEY on overclocking cooling equipment, you mine as well by the real THING! A chip is made to do, what it does. It's like putting 1200 tons on a 1000 ton max bridge, yeah it may handle it, but not for long, and eventually collapse. I am really sorry to hear about your Pentium Cartman, at least you can get your anger out online, I would be pissed beyong hell if that happened to me. Now the new video cards that are coming out, or that are alread out (X800 XT, PRo and the Nvidia) If you want $450 - $500 U.S. dollars to go down the drain (that's a lot of money for most people), go ahead and over clock it, there will be NO point. I always took my friends advice. There is no point to overclocking, and now I am seeing he is correct. I am a computer obsessor but they ONLY reason I would by the water cooling is for show, and if I actully had the money to waste it on. Stop overclocking! If anyone flames me or quotes me, just do a senetence since it would be a waste of room to do my whole entire message :p I would like to hear your opinions also.

Merlin

8. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

with extreme overclocking these kind of risks are accepted especially with any kind of phase when condensation can happen (1300mhz overclock at -50c isnt a "normal overclock"). ive been overclocking (moderately) for 10 years and ive lost no hardware. relax, its a hobby we enjoy it.

As for your comments on watercooling, thats nonsense. temps under load even with a NON overclocked processor will help its life span. I dont mind people commenting on first hand experience, but this is how things spread, third hand knowledge from a friend of a friend. watercooling if you know what you are doing is safe. I doubt many beginners will attempt it anyway.

9. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

Re: Sorry for your loss dude.

I highly doubt it...because, there's a little dark spot between some of the socket pins...that look dangerousley close to burn marks....sooo im afraid it dead..:(
    As i said earlier in the thread i propably will get a good hsf and stay with that for the time being....i'm considering the SP-94, you think that'll be a good choice?

10. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

Does this mean that you fastest score still counts? Saying as the CPU is no more?

Seriously though mate I am sorry for your loss. I know how you feel. When I built my current rig, I installed everything and tried to fire it up - dead 3.0c. I was gutted.

My sympathies.

11. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

I don't want the avatar any longer...considering i don't have the hardware anymore...

You can from now on consider me a retired overclocking champion ;) My belt is vacant!! :lol: ;)

btw...i removed the avatar...Go get it Logla!! ;)

12. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

has the condensation killed only the cpu or the mobo/mem etc as well.

That would be a real bummer.

13. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

I really hope that the mobo is ok...haven't checked yet...but hopefully it is...

14. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya bud,:)

15. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

Thanks Logla!! :)

16. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

Pheeewww....i just tested my Max 3 with the gf's 2.53, and thank god!! It seems to be ok...:w00t:

17. dipstick

dipstick New Member

That's great man, good to hear. But I have a question for ya. Did you pack the socket and bottom of the cpu with dielectric grease while you where running the Mach II?

18. Asmoday

Asmoday Demonic

NOpe i didn't...and you shouldn't have too either......otherwise it would be in the manual, and nventiv should have supplied it. And...your mobo's warranty is void the second you put that on...
    But i agree....if i would have put some grease on anyway, this might not have happened...:dead:

19. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

yes thats the thing nventiv dont even state to use grease when setting it up. its not supplied with the complete package either and the dealers ive spoken to dont even recommend it.

maybe thats part of the reason they went bust !

20. scobywhru

scobywhru DriverHeaven Senile Member

Hey Cartman if you ever consider doing this again you might want to consider using some Fluid XP it looks like a modified mineral oil, its none conductive and has a 3year life unlike mineral oil.

if you could make a sealed box (sealed so no moister gets to the liquid) and put your motherboard and the rest of the electronics, minus the drives, fans and PSU and then you put the MachII back on the CPU, you wouldn't even need to have any insulation around it so it could cool everything in the box, just put a pump in to circulate the water and heatsinks on everything you want to cool.

It would be very important to keep the box sealed because if they dew point is low enough and the FluidXP cool enough there could be a chance water will condense and if it sinks to the bottom of the box... but thats if the fluid XP is lighter then water and/or its soluble with water. If its not watersoluble and its heavier then water you could probably just scim the water off the top. This is an idea I have been kicking around for a while now for myself for a silent PC by day and a Monster PC by night... Only problem I have to overcome is trying to take it to a LAN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.