My x-fi card suddenly stopped working - please help!

Discussion in 'PAX Drivers' started by Trolly, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Trolly

Trolly New Member

Hi all.

I purchased a second-hand Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer PCI sound card that uses the OEM "SB0770" chip.

I did a thorough removal of my dreaful VIA onoard sound chip drivers, including manaually searching through the entire Windows registry. I then rebooted and disabled the VIA chip from the BIOS until finally placing my new sound card in a free PCI slot. Windows recognized the new sound card and after cancelling Windows automatic driver installation, I installed the official "SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_18_0015" downloaded from Creatives official website. This particular package installed just fine, and I was happy with the new, improved sound in my games music and movies.

Then this morning upon turning on my PC I recieved a messege when I tried to launch the Creative Console that said something like "No Sound...the current audio device is not supported by the application"

...i tried rebooting twice but that didn't help.
    I checked Device Manager and there were no problems whatsoever with the Sound Card. I then decided to reinstall the drivers and that finally worked.

So my question is, why did this happen? I didn't do anything with my PC the last night that could of caused this.. it was just completely random. WHy??

And also just which PAX suite should I use for this card? I am completely lost at the layout of this forum.

My specs are....

Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer (USING THE SB0770 OEM CHIP!!)
    Windows 7 64-bit

Thanks all!

2. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

You might be better off asking these questions on the Creative forums. There are some knowledgeable types there - Jmaguire springs to mind.

3. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Hi did you try new release drivers windows 7 v1.20? :p or XPvista v1.00 release?

4. RobZ

RobZ New Member

Hello!

Trolly, do you have an NVIDIA graphic card maybe?
    I have the X-Fi Gamer for 2 years now. The same thing started to happen to me recently, as well. The sound just disapeared after restart, or there was a usb unplug sound occasionally, and all the settings in volume mixer were reset to their default values.
    When the sound dissapeared, in playback devices I had only the SPDIF out (I don't use it), the Speakers vanished. After reinstall everything worked for some time.

At the beginning this happened once every 3-4 days, but later I was loosing the sound few times a day.
    After weeks of research and a couple of windows reinstall I finally found out that it was caused by NVIDIA drivers. It is the latest 260.99 whql. Then I went back to 260.63 beta, and there is no problem with the sound for 10 days now.

My specs:
    AMD Phenom II 955 BE
    Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3
    4GB DDR3
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX460
    Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

Regards, and sorry of my English.

5. Robert McClelland

Did you check gigabyte website for month new drivers and bios updated?

6. RobZ

RobZ New Member

Yes, the drivers are the latest, and I updated the bios when I bought the motherboard.
    Forgot to mention that I bought this motherboard, cpu and ram in September, but I used the X-Fi gamer for 2 years with my old config, too. And it was working ok in the new system, as well, until a month or month and a half ago. But as I already wrote there is no problem for 10 days now, so I deeply belive it was a conflict with the newest NVIDIA drivers wich was released on 25th october.

7. Robert McClelland

You may want contact nvidia about the issue. You try win 7 1.20 set right? Did you updated your suite software? With master suite v1.70? You may have reinstalled with new driver set.

8. steves6403

steves6403 Active Member

Or maybe creative has found another system of control through nvidia drivers.

i wouldnt put it passed them .They can be sneaky little basturds (doctor evil laugh}:evil:

9. RobZ

RobZ New Member

Before i contact nvidia I would try their new driver which is comming out on monday. Also, would like to hear a word from the starter of the thread if he uses nvidia or not and which driver version does he use.
    I tried today the V1.20, but I have sound quality issues with it. Already posted in the driver discussion section. Didn't tried the problematic nvidia driver with it because I'm sick of reinstalling the drivers anymore. Now i'm using the 1.10 again.
    But when the problem started I was using the official creative drivers and the console launcher. Later I was looking for moded drivers to see if that would solve the problem and then I found this forum. So I installed the PAX driver V1.10 and Master suite 1.70, but that didn't solve the issue. At least I got a better sound quality. :)