n00bie builder made a booboo...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Bellator, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Bellator

Bellator New Member

Being the genius that I am, I managed to slam a flathead scredriver into my mobo PCB while installing the athlon 64 heatsink. I was using the flathead to lower the second retaining clip on the heatsink and the bloody thing slipped right into my spankin new K8V SE Deluxe :(

I inspected it closely and i can see a silver nick maybe half the size of this period .

Sadly the nick seems to be right next to some board circuitry, although i cant tell if it hit it.. too small.

You guys think it's a strong possibility i ruined my mobo?

Gonna finish putting it together and pray to the gods that it will end up being ok. What kind of problems would be dead giveaways my mobo is shot? System lockups? anything else? Could I still have my system run fine but just suffer performance drops?

Gotta love being a first time builder :duh:

Tanx as always guys

2. Sourcer_2002

Sourcer_2002 BANNED

If you can boot and install windows and drivers fine you should be in the all clear...if you are lucky you didnt cut a trace on the board and the board will still function

3. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

also if you hear any beeps from the speaker count how many.then refer to the manual that will tell you the possible problem.appart form that should be fine.and if so your very lucky.

4. Bellator

Bellator New Member

so it's the kind of thing where it will either work or it wont? Not something where I may suffer reduced performance and not be sure if anything's wrong?

5. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

most definitely.but all pc hardware is very sensitive.once you boot up,and if you see the boot screen see if you can enter your bios setup.... if so yes it's fine.

if not just rma the board,if it's that small you never know it might be missed on inspection.

6. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Yeah test it and if it works, lucky and if not, rma it :)

I did the same thing last week, was in a rush to finish my parents computer, so now i have to RMA the card :oops:

Stuuuuuupiiiiiid :D

7. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Just luck - and a bit dishonest to RMA if YOU broke it.

Might have got away with it, if you're lucky, it's only the coating that's scraped - I used to do my own PCB's, and if you wanted to cut a track, you had to try pretty hard, but they were a lot thicker

8. MythicaL

MythicaL I like computers.

Return Materials Authorization? :rolleyes:

9. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

:)

I would go with Return Merchandise Authorization :)

10. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

I don't think it'll be a problem, I'd return it if is, it's nothing to a company they return to the manufacturer who'll be pumping them out at a fraction of the cost. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to break a trace.

If you but a decent heatsink they usually come with those thumb clips so you don't need a screw driver to yank it down, or better still mine from Zalman screws on via a bracket on the back of the mobo, scary to fit but a lot less chance of damage from too much force.

craig5320