Need a new gaming rig $1000-1500

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Randy P, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Randy P

Randy P New Member

Anyone in the mood to build me a rig? I've been out of the loop for some years now. It's taking a long time to do the necessary research.
    I've read the wonderful sticky already, but I really don't know if a year has dated the tech a whole lot or not. So, I figured I would just ask the people that are more current than I am at the moment :) I need a new gaming rig. As you can see my specs are old now. Time for an upgrade, new gaming rig! This comes on the heels of the approaching Guild Wars 2 release :) Thanks in adavnce guys. You folks are the masters of your trade so in my mind your opinions are gold!

2. caqde

caqde Active Member

Hmm might want to just wait until the game is pretty much ready for release if that is what you are building the system for as Hard drive prices should drop a bit more by then (Hurray for the Thialand Flood) along with Nvidia's Kepler being released, Intel's IvyBridge, and AMD's Trinity APU. (I'm guessing from online articles that it should be released somewhere around May-July)

I'm only saying this as a lot of the newer items are a few weeks to 1-2 months from their release date. I'm not telling you to wait for say Piledriver that is to be released around Sept-December, but if you are building a system for a game that is going to be released in the same timeframe you might as well build it closer to the games release date so that your new system will last you for another year.

3. Randy P

Randy P New Member

You make a good point. However, I won't be spending much more than $1500 regardless. Do you think the newer components will be within my price range?

4. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

$1500 is an excellent start for practically any generation of tech, you should be fine.

5. Randy P

Randy P New Member

Ok I guess I'll wait until I know an exact release date for Guild Wars 2 and then I'll post again :) Nice to know my $1500 will get me a good rig though! Much thanks!

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

its slightly over your budget but this is probably the best platform you can work with atm...

[​IMG]

7. Randy P

Randy P New Member

Yep that's over my budget and the total is without taxes :D thanks though it gives me a great reference point. I'm a die hard nVidia fan. Is there an equivalent to the 7950?

8. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

nope... not yet...

9. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I agree that the system that you have is under-powered for upcoming games but a $1500 rig for an MMO? That seems a tad excessive.
    For example, my gaming PC had an Athlon x4 620 with a GTX 280 and it could max out any MMO that I came across in graphics and the GPU definitely wasn't pushed. Similarly, a colleague at work has a Q6600 with a factory overclocked GTX 260 and he plays Star Wars on high graphics.
    I'd go with a decent spec system, personally, due to the fact that a good spec will last longer but I wouldn't go quite as high as that. A 2011 setup is hard to say no to, given that it is the newest kit out there. However, by the time GW2 is out prices will have lowered in preparation (or result of) newer tech.

If, however, you play more than MMOs, I'll take it all back. Go for the GTX 570.

Kris - Why 32GB RAM for a gaming rig?

10. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

because its cheap! :D

the intel systems use a quad-channel memory setup and 8GB modules are now cost-effective. the best performance in the end will come from having 4 8GB modules loaded with 1 to each channel...

excessive now... but maybe not so much down the line...

the alternative would be to load 4 sticks of 4GB of RAM, while it actually is cheaper per GB to go with 2x4GB sets ($5 vs $7.50 a GB). i personally like going with high density modules as soon as they aren't bank breaking.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233192

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  11. caqde

caqde Active Member

That and you can use the extra memory for a Read/Write cache using programs like Fancycache or SuperCache. :) Thats why I recently upgraded to 16GB of memory. SSD's are expensive to me and Caching a HDD using a caching application helps with load times. It isn't as fast as always reading/writing from an SSD but is much faster when the files are cached looks funny on a HDD benchmark tool like HDTune :)

Back on topic if you are an Nvidia fan the definitely wait as the Kepler line of GPU's from Nvidia will start releasing by the end of the month and the whole line should be out before Guild Wars 2 is released. (6xx series -> Kepler DX11.1 cards)

12. Randy P

Randy P New Member

I have a tendency to make my rigs last a long time...lol as you can see with my current specs. So, I may as well sink some money into something that I'll squeeze 4 years out of (roughly). The new nVidia series will be really expensive. I'm not sure if that will an option with my budget. A high end Kepler will probably cost 700 dollars or more. So maybe I'll get a high end previous gen once the Keps come out.

I guess I'll play the waiting game for now :)