Need a new video card. . .

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Malus, May 13, 2002.

1. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

Current specs:

AMD Slot 1 K7 Thunderbird @ 850 mhz
    256 mb PC133 SDRAM @ PC100 CAS2
    Shuttle AI61 Mobo w/ AMD 751 Chipset
    Hercules 4000xt Video Card
    Philip's Rythmic Edge Sound Card

Nothing else worth mentioning. . .

Anyway, I was looking for something that is faster than my 4000xt. I don't really want to spend the money to buy a new cpu, mobo, and ram, so a new video card would be my best choice. I was thinking of getting an ATI Radeon 8500LE, but I'm open to any suggestions. I'm just not sure what would be good for a slower system like mine.

2. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

If you can wait around for a bit, then I'd get the Kyro II-SE - if you can't then get a Kyro II

Anything more powerful may be a waste with your current CPU. With a 64meg card you can expect around 20-30% of a speed increase - except in UT based games as this game is predominantly CPU limited.

Seeing as the card is really really cheap right now, you save money to get a better card when you upgrade your CPU and memory.

All of todays games are playable with Kyro II (except for Spiderman - but that may be fixed soon) so if you don't need any DirectX 8 features right now, save money!

Otherwise, your choice of an 8500LE is a wise one

3. Malus

Malus BSD SMASH!

I was thinking along the lines that I could upgrade my video card now, and after the summer when I make a good deal of cash, I could invest in a new CPU/Mobo/Ram/Case/Everything else. I figured I could just migrate a good card into my new system and put my trusty Kyro back in my current box. Anyway, I did consider the Kyro II, but I am a bit wary of it since I don't like the way the drive updates are going or the fact that it still has some issues, including not-so-great OpenGL speed (well, at least that's what I'm experiencing in JKII). The Kyro II SE would be a great card, but I doubt it will ever come out at this rate. Also, the longer it takes for that to come out, the longer it takes for drivers to come out for other Kyro based cards. Kind of sucks. I'll probably off a while on the purchase though, don't want to make a rash decision.

By the way, anyone know of any sites which feature benchmarks of newer cards running on older CPU's? I don't see many comparions using this type of situation, and I was curious if anyone has seen anything of the like.

4. IceCold

IceCold New Member

Re:

Actually, the Kyro II was quite a good budget card, with performance nearly up to the level of the GeForce2 GTS. The performance of the chip was quite high, despite lacking T&L, but in games where T&L was put to heavy usage, the Kyro II performed nearly half the performance of the even competing GeForce2 MX 400. When it came to scenes with high amounts of overdraw, the Kyro cards performed significantly better thanks to its tile rendering approach, rather than traditional vertex rendering.

Anyways, just in case anyone's wondering, the KYRO II SE will possess T&L...but try to look forward to the Kyro III.

5. IceCold

IceCold New Member

Re:

Ehh...I can't quite understand your choice of words there, but STM was already planning to announce the KYRO III a couple months back, when they attempted their withdrawal from the PC graphics market. The Kyro and Kyro II are pretty much alive, but due to poor drivers released, they haven't been able to keep up to par with NVIDIA or ATI in terms of sales. As for the Kyro I, there has been a point when many games have pushed it to its limits. But for those Kyro users, you can always think to yourself: "Oh well, it was only $60" ;)

6. IceCold

IceCold New Member

Re:

OK...back on topic. Try to stay away from the Kyro II for now; as due to the lack of even a DX7 feature will hurt its shelf life. Plus STM/PVR has had a lacking part in the driver department, I mean just look what they did to the PVR250. It is safer to take the path of the R8500LE; when you get yourself a faster CPU you'll be glad you did so.

As for benchmarks on lower-end CPU's, my R8500 has had significantly increased performance on my P3-600 machine from my previous card, the Radeon 32DDR LE.

3DMark 2001 SE 1024×768, 32-bit, HW T&L, 24-bit Z, DXT1 compressed:

P3-600 + R7200 32DDR LE: 2,040
    P3-600 + R8500: 4,045

Quite a huge improvement there.

7. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Re:

T&L is not a DirectX 7 requirement - its an optional feature
    As such, the Kyro is fully DirectX 7 hardware compliant.

8. Ryoko

Ryoko American Soldier

i would go for either the 8500le or a gf3ti200. that processor of yours can still drive faster video cards, though ;)

9. IceCold

IceCold New Member

Re:

I never said it was a requirement.