Need beta testers...

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Omegadrive, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

I'm releasing an updated driver tonigh, but need beta testers with the following problems:

* Could not install the 2.4.74 drivers normally, it says your card is not supported.

* Have a game problem with the Omega drivers but it works fine with the normal Cat 3.6.

* Someone with a Medion 9600 TX card.

Here is the link for the test set (14.5MB):
    http://downloads.driverheaven.net/omega/rad_w2kxp_omega_2474a.exe

If they work correctly I'll make them official.

Let me know what happens ;)

2. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

hummmm, I don't have any opengl extension based games installed at the moment but would be willing to install a couple Q3 based games and give them a run through if you think it will be any help

PS: I don't have HL or CS

3. HawK

HawK Banned

Gonne try them now
    do you want me to uninstall the previous omega's (2.4.74) to test if the "could not install" works now?

4. Omegadrive

Yes please, if you can, completely uninstall all previous drivers and use driver cleaner.

5. HawK

HawK Banned

So all done :)
    did do a full uninstall, after restart installed the new omega 24.74a, no problems
    restarted, needed to install again via HWWizard did not need a restart, no problems
    did need to install the monitor i'm using
    ran Village mark d3d... no problems
    ran Village mark ogl .. no problems
    ran HL (ogl) & SSam2 (ogl) no problem

my System:
    MoBo = Shuttle AK32a
    PSU = Q-tec 550 watt
    Via drivers: 448 (Hyperion)
    mem = 2x 256mb_cl2.5 Hyund. DDR266mhz
    Cpu = Amd Athlon 1600xp+
    HD = Seagate Barracuda ATA-IV 80Gb
    WD- 800JB 80Gb
    Vid = Ati9700 driver: 24.74a (Omega) Secondary disabled
    OS = W2000 sp4 DX9b
    Sound = Hercules FortissimoIII 7.1

6. BuddMan

BuddMan New Member

I see the new tweak tool. What does it do that the ATI control panel doesn't do? Should we mess with the settings or will that affect the tweaks you put in your drivers? Also see the nice option for triple buffering in OpenGL, that's a big plus. I see where you got the tool from, but is there an English version of it?

Anyway, I can definately see an improvement in OpenGL. I only tried Jedi Outcast but it runs much smoother than before. I think the triple buffering feature helped with that. Installation of the driver was painless and I did not encounter any problems. This was after uninstalling the previous driver install and then running driver cleaner in safe mode. BF1942 works without probs. C and C Generals works as well. Have not tried NWNs nor anything else as I don't have time right now, but so far so good. Now if only ATI will enable DDC support again so I can use NaviSet with my CRT....

7. Omegadrive

BuddMan, I'll be releasing the info regarding the tool and it's purpose when the final release is done ;)
    Does it shows in another language for you? Strange, I included the english file with it... I'll investigate that...

8. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Soon you get English file fix I try them ;) I don't like the driver cleaning because get rid of defult xp driver for unstalling the currect drivers which you need to installed the new drivers with. What kinda new tweak you have with that new beta set?

9. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

So far so good Omega...

10. cOoLeRgUy

cOoLeRgUy New Member

hey omega, been waiting to finally catch you :) .. anyhow.. about your 9800 hack.. (don't worry this isn't one of those lame "i'm-new-to-omega's-drivers-and-this-question-has-been-answered-several-times-and-does-this-hack-really-change my-video-card-to-a-9800-pro-:eek:" questions)

.. if you go to Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter:
    The Rivatuner (Version 2.0 Release Candidate 12.4) 9700->9800 software mod patches the 9700 to Chip Type: RADEON 9800 AGP Chip type (0x4e45)
    The Omegas 9700->9800 software mod patches the 9700 to Chip Type: RADEON 9800 AGP Chip type (0x4e44)

I'm just wondering if this has any effect on performance. Would it perform better to have a later chip type?

11. Omegadrive

That's only the chipset ID, it doesn't make any difference as far as I know.

12. BWX

BWX get out and ride

I guess I should have downloaded them before- The link doesn't seem t be working now.

13. Lock

Lock New Member

* Someone with a Medion 9600 TX card

I used to work for the company for a number of years tho i don't have one of these cards, if I remember right the .inf file for the card is customised and they use a Medion printed PCB, usually Gigabyte

Let me know what u need and i'll see what i can do, sadly can't get stock,

14. HENNESSY

HENNESSY New Member

I tried them on the Medion card and they work

15. Neogenic

Neogenic New Member

Omegadrive, will the new version for Win9x have the 9500/9700>9800 Hack?

16. BuddMan

BuddMan New Member

Omega, all of the settings are in English, but I can't read the about info, it's all in German. Probably the tool and not your fault. Everything is working fine though, CS is playing like a champ, so is UT2003. BTW I have an AIW 9700 and am using the hacked version of the drivers.

17. Speed316

Speed316 New Member

Unfortunately your Drivers have never been able to install on my system. I always run into the following error:

" This Display Driver is not Compatible with the display adapter(s) installed in your system "

There have only ever been 2 Catalyst sets which have installed normally on my system, these being Cat 2.4 and Cat 3.6.

For every other driver set I had to install them via the control panel/system/Hardware/Device Manager.

Here's some of my system Specs which may be useful:-

P4 1.9
    512mb PC2100
    Gigabyte Maya II Radeon 9700 Pro
    Mobo - ASUS P4B266-LA
    (It's a HP computer )

18. plehto

plehto New Member

I had the same problem, but it disappeared when i flashed my graphics card with the original bios, so that it would recognize as 9500pro/9700. Installing hacked drivers for 9700 pro or never is a disaster ;)

19. DaWizeGuy

DaWizeGuy New Member

Ok, I've installed the drivers and so far they work perfect :D

Direct3D games tested:

1. Tomb Raider Angel of Darkness: Playing at 1024x768x32 with 4x FSAA. All details maxed out (32 bit textures, shadows etc.) I get a consistent 40-60 FPS which is faster than the Catalyst 3.6.

2. NOLF 2. No visual artifacts. I'm playing at 1600x1200x32 with 4x FSAA and 8x AF. Getting 40+ FPS.

OpenGL games tested.

1. Jedi Knight 2. Playing at 1600x1200x32 with 4x FSAA and 16x AF. Getting 100+ FPS most of the time, dropping to 50-80 FPS during heavy gunfights. Faster than the Catalyst 3.6 drivers.

2. Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (don't ask me how I got it). Playing at 1024x768x32 no FSAA or AF. Getting 40+ FPS most of the time, all detail maxed out.

I'll test Morrowind and a couiple of other OpenGL games and report back later.

System:

Asus P4P800. Bios 1008.
    Intel Pentium4 2.53@3.02 GHz (158 MHz FSB QDR)
    2*256 MB Samsung DDR400 CL3
    Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro 128 mb (not OC'ed)
    SB Audigy2 Platinum

20. Omegadrive

That is normal, only the "about" is in German, but what I wanted to know was if the settings where in english, and at least they are, thanks for the info.

Speed316, that's strange since this time I used the pure Cat 3.6 installation file, so they should install now.

To Everyone, seems that this is "the" release, I'll be posting it now as official.

Many thanks to all of you who participated!

This thread is now closed! Expect the official release thread...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.