Need For Speed: Shift (X360 & PS3) @ GH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 14, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Read The Review Here
    If you have already uttered a groan due to seeing yet another Need For Speed game then take heart because Electronic Arts have passed the development to Slighty Mad Studios (the guys behind GTR) and ‘Shift’ is all the better for the fresh perspective. I would actually go as far to say that this is the best NFS game I can remember.

2. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

Honestly I have been let down over and over by need for speed games ever since the first one. Need For Speed underground II was a surprise, but hardly lived up to my expectations. I though of that game that the handling was flawed and the choice of options wavered unrelentlessly.

3. HardwareHeaven

Then you might like this one as it is a new developer handling it.

4. RE III - Frankie

RE III - Frankie Banned

I like the open world idea, but more of a true to the real world feel. Most Wanted and Carbon were dastardly.

5. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

look like Grid , NFS games were all the same , they just replace the chick in every game. Hope this one is different.

6. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Guys seriously, do you actually 'read' the reviews before posting? This one is massively different. half of the text in the review explains why.

Read the reviews then post, not the other way around :uhoh:

7. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

My bad , I was going to read it later but you are right , just read it.

8. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Crap! Now I really need to get this, guess I better start playing som Dirt 2, has been busy with Mini Ninjas. Great reviews and excellent to see a reboot of the NFS series worked out well.

9. HardwareHeaven

I actually had a quick go on our review copy for 20 mins there before heading off. very impressed with it.

10. dagski

dagski New Member

i've treated nfs as an arcade racer til pro street... can't wait to test drive shift. :D
    a possible PC release anytime soon?

11. HardwareHeaven

The PC version is out and I have to say I am in love -- with an Xbox 360 pad the game plays brilliant (keyboard isn't wonderful). I am playing on experienced without traction control (well its low I think) and brake assist is off. It looks amazing through my 42 inch Panasonic NeoPDP plasma with 4aa at 1080p.

Absolutely love it. I am pretty good at these racing games (unlike some others).

12. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I am still confused with Gamespot score
    Hope I didn't break forum rules with this.

Anyway has someone tried it with steering wheel , I am thinking of getting one.

13. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

ali, that sentence is copy and paste from many of their reviews. I don't exactly put much faith in their reviews any more.

14. HardwareHeaven

You aren't breaking the rules. What you have to understand is that your favourite game of all time is probably hated by quite a few people. Its a very subjective marketplace ruled by opinions. Try a demo of it, best way to get your own view of it.

15. Trusteft

The reviewer obviously liked the game a lot.

I will try the demo one day, but, there are some things I don't like.
    Loss of the open world, or to be more exact, introduction of circuits. I always found them boring. From what I understand the career is similar to Codemasters' efforts. Forcing you to change cars along the way. Deeply dislike it.

I am very glad that they improved the driving mechanics and for the return of the cockpit view, it's was about time!
    It looks like a very good racing game, just not for me.

16. HardwareHeaven

Strangely enough this is exactly what I like about it - the old Need for Speed games used to be time trial runs across various sections of road and you had to avoid the cops while dealing with the cars handling and breaking your times (basic I know but it was appealing in the time). When the games went into the arcade handling 'free roam' genre it was initially rather new and exciting, but they flogged it to death and I for one was glad to see a more forza style game with much more realistic handling, car interiors and tracks. All the cars in recent NFS games handled like a go kart but you could spend ages 'dressing them up'. A little like barbie, but with cars instead of dolls.

Yeah, its certainly not for everyone. If you want an arcade handling free roaming game I would certainly avoid it.

17. Trusteft

Free roaming was a bad choice of words for me. I had in mind NFS 1. I guess I just prefer the open roads, countryside perhaps, than Forza like races, or even NFS 2fast2lamious.
    To each his own. :)

BTW, is by any chance the Toyota Supra or 911S available?

18. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

im actually kinda loorking forward to this one. the car list isnt too appealing to me though, and the sound track looks god awful.

hopefully the gameplay with make up for it though.

bluemak, no, theyrs no 911s or supra. theres a 911 gt2, gt3rsr, gt3rs and the only toyota is an 86 corolla gts

Trusteft likes this.
  19. Trusteft

thank you.

20. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

holy god... this is just god awful. ive got the pc version and ive spent the last 40 mins just trying to get past the opening lap. and no, i havnt gotten past the opening lap yet.

atleast ive gotten it to stop crashing... thats a start. next problem, the person who designed the options menu needs to be fucking fired, immediately. you have 3 options in a race, retry/resume/audio. there is no quit to main menu, there is no controller config, there is no exit game. the only way i can get out of the race is to ctrl alt del my way out, restart the entire damn game (which doesnt have an auto load feature, it wants me to select the language and player file each time) then go tweak some settings for my controller (and hope they save... anyone want to tell me why the fuck my game decided to save all the graphical settings, except switch my res from 1024 to 1600?) sit through the damn opening movie, hope my tweaks let me steer, and hope the game doesnt crash. oh ya, changing the res isnt that easy here either. there is no slider, there is no drop down menu, theres 150+ fucking preset options that you have to scroll through. 640x480 0aa, 640x480 2xaa, 640x480 4xaa... all the way upto 1600x1200 6xaa. who in the fuck approved the UI on this thing? did any one once actually try and use it?

theres a damn good reason i started torrenting games before i buy them... THIS is that damn reason. worthless piece of shit...