Need For Speed: Shift (X360 & PS3) @ GH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 14, 2009.

1. clanman

clanman New Member

I think that post is a good reason why exactly you shouldn't warez games to "test them". Quite the foul mouthed outburst too which is hardly necessary, especially from such a long standing member. :rolleyes:

I was just playing mine off the electronic arts store and you can quit out of the game with the "quit" option - even in the middle of a race, to the main menu. I had a look at the resolution settings as the game correctly set mine up to suit the monitor and hardware and I don't see any issues with it.

Great game - thanks for the review GH, love it. To those warezing games and having issues with things crashing - try to help and support the developers by purchasing it, then you won't have to worry about copying in DLL's, EXE's and other dodgy crap.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Dark Lord, do you even use a gold version? (since I assume you don't use a legal copy). If it is a beta version, then it would be unfair to reach conclusions so easily.

3. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

I bought a copy in my local game store on the basis of this review and I can't say I have had any issues either. I think darklord is missing the 'quit' option because you have to move the little onscreen menu 'down' one position to see the quit option. I had a look at the resolution option and it is a bit fiddly but I don't see any reason to get worked up about it - especially when the game correctly set my own resolution and quality settings to maintain what appears to be a 60fps rate. I added AA to my options and the frame rate dropped quite a bit.

As for the starting up 'issue' of having to select english and your profile. its simply two return key presses. I think most PC games ive played in the last few years force the end user to hit the return key anyway to skip cinematics or other misc menus.

I was around in my friends last night and he downloaded the reloaded version which involves copying over a few files to break the protection, his was working but it seemed to crash every so often.

Moral of the story is, it really is a bit silly to be bitching about crashing when you are running a pirated game. Also don't see the need to be swearing profusely on the boards either, its not like you lost 60 bucks as you basically stole it.

4. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

5. humonous

humonous New Member

Yes, I had a few issues myself. I got them sorted however - in fairness Comp Ali, I think the guys were pointing out that there really is no need to be such aggressive with foul language on the forums when in fact you are running a hacked, illegal version of a game. if you feel thats fine, then good for you.

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

No , but I think we shouldn't face flaming with flaming.

7. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

I never flamed anyone, I said its silly to be bitching about some of these 'non' issues and I explained my findings and views on the matter. Humonous didn't flame anyone either nor did clanman !

I wish you would contribute greater to threads on DH and GH rather than playing some 'mediator' role when in fact it is often not needed. You aren't a moderator, so it might be best if you contributed rather than trying to direct a thread in a way you feel is needed.

Trusteft likes this.
  8. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

lol , I never meant to behave in such way , you got me wrong. I didn't try the game or the demo so I don't have any comments on this game yet.

9. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Yes which was exactly the point I was making. Give the game a shot, if it sucks for you or crashes, then talk about it.

10. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

bluemak, its an exact dvd release iso, so yes, full retail.

when i game starts crashing inside the menu settings, and then proceeds to crash upon restarting, my temper gets damn short. petty problems or not, when it takes over 40 mins to set up a controller due to a god awful menu design, thats an major issue.

[​IMG]
    im not blind, but i really dont see a quit option anyplace in here.

11. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

I have the PC edition, am currently up to Tier 2 as a level 10 driver and I love the game to bits.

While Slightly Mad Studios have obviously had to tone down their Sim instincts a little here the game is still a Racing Wheel game, and still rewards skillful, rather than silly driving.

Anyway, the game looks great, plays great and has a better feel than Race Driver: Grid while having a much better driving model.

Also, Dark Lord, 2 things.

1: Press down, quit is below those options in the main menu.
    2: An "exact dvd release iso", what the hell does that mean?

12. Dark Lord

really? i could swear i went all the way down.

its a retail dvd image, exact copy of it.

not that any of this matters anyways. i cant get the game to run for crap. 20-25fps max with everything off. so, deleting it now.

13. Stop It

So, you pirated it?
    Get out.

14. Dark Lord

ya.. i kinda said that at teh very end of my first post on this.

15. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Chill Stop. Dark Lord isn't in violation of any site rules here however your aggressive attitude is getting there.

Just a friendly word of warning don't land yourself in the doo, it's not a nice place to be.

16. Stop It

Edit: I think we're done with this.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  17. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys can we relax a little please? Mousey, Stop It is just concerned about piracy which I respect. I dont think you needed to threaten him publically on this, even though his attitude was a little hot headed. Equally so Dark Lord hasn't broken any rules as there are no links to illegal items - even though it sounded like someone just hacked his machine and hosed his OS.

Everyone take a nice step back, count to ten and come back with a clear head.

18. Stop It

As per my response in PM, I have took a step back and am sorry if I escalated this a bit far. It's not often a day at work makes me calmer but hey, that's life!

Anyway, can we get back to discussing the game please? Anyone here have the PC edition? I would like to make a start in filling my FL for the game, I'm a precision driver, honest!!

Oh, a note to anyone who wants to try the invitational events, pick the Dodge Viper in the Viper vs Ford GT event if you value your sanity!

19. Dark Lord

i will concede to being wrong on the quit part. i could swear it wasnt there on the initial lap that decided all your settings.

the rest i stand firm on. the game was buggy, had a poor user interface, and ran very poorly even though i was well over the min requirements. everything off/low 800x600 couldnt break 20fps with other cars on screen. which is too bad, i was looking forward to this not sucking.

20. Stop It

Well, It'll annoy you to know that I run the game at 1920 x 1080, 8xAA & AF and get a silky 60fps, that said I'm sure a 4 generation old graphics card (going by your specs) may have something to do with your FPS issues.

Anyway, I will agree that the menu UI is...rubbish, in game it is fine but the main menu looks like it was designed by a 5 year old. It's a good thing the actual game does not!

As for bugs, well, apart from factual errors (Which are in the process of being fixed after being pointed out), I haven't noticed much, but I think we both know why that is.