Need For Speed: Shift (X360 & PS3) @ GH

Discussion in 'Reviews & Articles Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Dark Lord, you do have an almost 4 year old graphics card. Consider yourself lucky it even plays it as it does.

2. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Your ram Darklord is 1 GB is lower than minimum but other specs like dual core cpu and X1950 are ok in best cases , however the AGP interface is way slower than PCI-E.

3. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

oh no, i dont argue that my system is showing its age, but when i surpass the min requirements and am coming up on recommended, and yet cant break 20fps with everything off/low, thats a problem.

little copy/paste here...

CPU Intel Pentium 4 (or equivalent) CPU running at 3,2GHz or higher (3.4GHz for Windows Vista)///// Intel Core 2 Duo 2,5GHz or AMD 64 X2 2,0 GHz
    - my 4800 x2 is 2400mhz, well past the recommended.

Memory 1GB RAM (Vista 2GB)//// 2GB RAM (Vista 3GB)
    - 1.5gigs on win xp, half way point between the 2.

Hard Drive Space 10 GB of free space

Graphics Hardware 256 MB RAM with Pixel Shader 3 (PCI-Ex) ////512 MB RAM with Pixel Shader 3 (PCI-Ex)
    - now this is actually interesting. updated system specs state an x1800xt with 512 megs of ram, or a 7800gt with 256 megs of ram. wonder if theres a problem here with ati cards not being able ot handle this with only 256megs of ram for some reason. i dont think any one is going to argue that a 1950xt is a fair bit more powerful then the 1800s were. and if 1800s were the min requirement... well a 1950 should handle this just fine. not choke at 13fps with other cars on screen.

Sound Hardware DirectX 9.0c compliant card (DirectX 10.1 compliant if applicable)

agp/pci for the 1950s.... when benched against each other, there was negligible difference between the 2, so thats not a factor here.

4. macbiter

macbiter New Member

Time for a few upgrades ;) surprised that graphics card can run anything modern tbh. With all the games you are pirating must be some room in the budget for a few bits of hardware !

5. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

see the avatar, THAT eats all the spare cash.

and honestly, i dont upgrade because i still run 90% of the games i play maxed out 30fps+. its actually quite a rarity that i find a game i cant run, or has to be run on lowest settings.

6. Trusteft

I am sorry man but this is pointless. You have an outdated PC, with god knows what crap installed, running a pirated version of the game and you complain about performance.
    It's not even funny.

7. Stop It

Stop It HHs' Resident Kitty Lover

Bingo.

The fact is the "minimum specs" on the boxes of games always lowball the reality, and in NFS:Shifts case, my FPS is comparable to Race Driver: Grid, while looking better, so I think Slightly Mad Studios have done a great job here.

Anyway....

I completed the Aston Martin DB9 invitation race last night...wow.

While the car is obviously awesome, you have to respect those corners or you'll fail hard. I won the race in the end but the game just would not let up, a severely punishing race but very satisfying in the end. In all honesty, that sort of experience is what earns its asking price in my view; full on, hard racing, good stuff.

8. Trusteft

Is it possible to finish the game/career with one car or are you forced to change car? Like how Grid is.

9. Stop It

You can upgrade your car of your choice to Tier 4 spec, but higher tier cars are not allowed to race in lower tier races.

Anyway, with the amount of cars to try in the game it's be a crime to stick with one through the entire career. :)

10. Trusteft

4 out of?

I disagree. For example in my current most favourite racing series, PGR, I prefer to get a single car and go through the game with it. (where appropriate).

11. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

I understand this view, but part of the whole appeal of Need For Speed Shift is that you have your own garage with cars you have bought, and modded in various ways. Then you can also get to enter manufacturer specific races so you get to try their cars against equally footed computer AI players.

There really is a best of all worlds in this game. You aren't forced to change car, you aren't even forced to play specific races. I for instance have a fully pimped out porsche right now but im playing about with other cars.

Lets be honest, its a dream position really to be playing with all these 'virtual' dream cars and the game looks wicked on a big plasma screen at 1080p.

12. Trusteft

Definitely. I might get some money tomorrow which could mean buying a new game, and NFS Shift is among the contenders.

I just need to find the time to install the demo later tonight.

13. HardwareHeaven

Demo first would be a good idea - this game seems to attact two crowds. those who love it and those who hate it, no sitting on the fence.

Feel free to come back and tell me how much my taste in game sucks though, I don't mind :) just try and do it without swearing 50 times, ive sensitive ears.

14. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

I downloaded the demo form EA site , I extracted it many times and I keep geting the error "some installation files are corrupt. Please download a fresh copy and retry the installation" Damn ! I guwss I will download it again.

15. Stop It

Shift is certainly a divisive game, I'll give it that.

I love the game, but the things that I like, such as the aggressive, touring car driver like AI, the sensitive handling, the sheer challenge of the game and the prescision/aggressive driving points are the same things that make other gamers hate the game!

16. Trusteft

First impressions, not good.
    After restarting the demo, setting the graphics options, 1920x1200, 8AF,0AA, all rest high, blur off, and setting for controller the joystick (couldn't bothered to connect the gamepad) and its buttons just fine, the first thing to notice was a bad frame rate.
    Then the joystick was not responsive and had to use the keys.
    Then the frame rate was even worse while driving. My guess, about 10fps.
    BTW, whoever designed the menu should be fired, then shot, then fired again. Same for whoever decided it's a great idea to have some guy talking all the freaking time.
    Oh yeah, and one thing that I am sure (hope?) it's a demo thing only, 2 min video sequence after I quit a race, that I can't skip, is not going to make me want to buy the game any more. The third time I couldn't take it any more and killed the process.
    Anyway, I tried with 1680x1050, 0aa, trilinear filtering, blur off (btw, LOVE how blur still exists even though the options says off), and the frame rate went higher, a bit under 20...

Well, there is no way I will buy the game that's for sure.

Oh yeah, one good thing, crashes are awesome.

17. HardwareHeaven

Xbox 360 pad is flawless with it.

As for the framerate, thats very weird. I tried a 4890 with a similar setup to yours with the game and it was silky smooth at your settings. I haven't tried an X2 with it however. have you tried turning off Crossfire just to check its not a driver profile issue? Never played the demo but no video forced issues in the main game.

I have to say I tend to use Nvidia when possible at home, just because of driver issues everytime I use an ATi board with new games.

its awesome how this game is making people almost foam at the mouth ! (sorry im evil :p)

Trusteft likes this.
  18. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

Most people on forums with issues are on ATI hardware and their crappy drivers, thats the problem. People knock nvidia for "TWIMTBP" but at least when you have an nvidia card you can be sure the game will run as expected.

Thats why the 5870 has absolutely no appeal to me. they could release a card 5 times faster than nvidia and it would still suck as all the new games have issues on some level. Has been like this for years, just look at the new CCC for instance, its a disaster zone.

19. Trusteft

brutus, why don't you go and...relax. Seriously.

Zardon, I will try it.

EDIT: Zardon that fixed it. Mostly. with catalystAI off, 1680x1050 0aa,trilinear, the game was very fast etc. As it should. I increased the resolution and put some AF, and the game slowed down, not as bad as before, playable, but barely.
    Considering it is a demo and as was said there were no problems with the 4890, it probably is a demo issue and implementation of catalystAI/crossfire.
    For a year that I have this card I have no problems worth mentioning with the card or the drivers. I keep reading from time to time about people having a better driver experience with Nvidia solutions, but I have yet to see any difference between the two (I also have a 8800GTS on another PC that will be sold any day now).

The race feels good. The game reminds me of a mix between Forza and PGR, for the PC. The graphics of the world are not that good (PGR3 feels better looking), but the cars themselves look great.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  20. brutusmaximus

brutusmaximus New Member

I am very relaxed. Just making a point which you proved to be right.

People often knock the games for having the issues when its the Catalyst drivers. Obviously in other cases ancient hardware and warezed games don't help ;)