need for speed underground 2: first impressions

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by germanjulian, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Sgt.Slug

Sgt.Slug New Member

Cool, thanks. I had thought of looking for a trainer for NFS:U2. Probably make NFS:U2 better than what I think of it now LOL! I'm considering RBR actually. How do you race BWX? Keyb or wheel or JS?

BWX, what you think of Xpand Rally compartively speaking to RBR?

2. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Well we agree on one thing then. To disagree. For me the test of a game is basically down to one thing. "does it play well" and for me it does. Of course it has faults, every game has faults, some of those faults happen to be massive faults and some happen to be minor and in the case of NFSU2 the faults I see dont detract from the game and the playability. I still feel quite a few of your comments are aimed at the realism side of this game in the fact you are unhappy with the lack of people, the civilian car quality and the fact you cant look out the side windows. To me those are so minor I never even noticed them, to you its ruining the game. Im not saying you are wrong and im right, that would be arrogant of me to assume everyone sees the same thing, which as most sane and intelligent people know isnt the case.

From reading your points above I seriously think something like Richard burns rally would be more up your street, because you seem to be in some respects very like BWX, who is in my opinion a racing freak (in a nice way), he demands realism on every level and sees faults with things I dont even see or want to see. Everyone is in this for a different reason. Me? well when I get home from working or have answered a few hundred emails and am doing some groundwork for example on my next review or article for this site I want something to wind down with. Need for Speed underground always did this for me, because it was just a fun, lighthearted and graphically pleasing game, so it worked for me. NFSU2 has done the same thing so far, but im not looking into this for a massive level of realism, just fun modding, a nice 3d engine and good playability.

Sometimes as well I think we all (me included) tend to get carried away with the graphical side of things and are so obsessed with finding flaws we cant even just see the game at all. I mean Doom3 is a total reverse of this for me. I fired the game up, found the engine totally mind blowing then after 3 hours I was so bored with the whole experience and the initial shock factor that I felt so disappointed, especially as I had just received a 6800 ultra to test it with. You see thats my point, perfect graphics dont always make a game playable. What can be defined as "playable" and fun is down to personal taste.

give it a shot for a few more days, if you arent enjoying it then get something you will !

3. Sgt.Slug

Sgt.Slug New Member

Just to be square on a few things.

Well we agree on one thing then. To disagree. For me the test of a game is basically down to one thing. "does it play well" and for me it does. Of course it has faults, every game has faults, some of those faults happen to be massive faults and some happen to be minor and in the case of NFSU2 the faults I see dont detract from the game and the playability. I still feel quite a few of your comments are aimed at the realism side of this game in the fact you are unhappy with the lack of people, the civilian car quality and the fact you cant look out the side windows. To me those are so minor I never even noticed them, to you its ruining the game. Im not saying you are wrong and im right, that would be arrogant of me to assume everyone sees the same thing, which as most sane and intelligent people know isnt the case.

Yes, these are minor things and true, does not detract from the game, they were just some examples of what I 'could' have expected to see. As I said, you are of course entitled to your opinions.

From reading your points above I seriously think something like Richard burns rally would be more up your street, because you seem to be in some respects very like BWX, who is in my opinion a racing freak (in a nice way), he demands realism on every level and sees faults with things I dont even see or want to see. Everyone is in this for a different reason. Me? well when I get home from working or have answered a few hundred emails and am doing some groundwork for example on my next review or article for this site I want something to wind down with. Need for Speed underground always did this for me, because it was just a fun, lighthearted and graphically pleasing game, so it worked for me. NFSU2 has done the same thing so far, but im not looking into this for a massive level of realism, just fun modding, a nice 3d engine and good playability.

Ya, I am a lot like you but answering phone calls, working trouble cases and answering hundreds of emails a day. I took look for enjoyment and peacefulness and quality time when I get behind my PC. Especially after the little one is in bed. But I just felt there was some HUGE things overlooked that seemed to be big things in the forums of EA when NFS:U1 was released. All seemingly ignored. Just my opinion.(take a look at my ip, hehe, trust me I'm busy enough hehehe)

Sometimes as well I think we all (me included) tend to get carried away with the graphical side of things and are so obsessed with finding flaws we cant even just see the game at all. I mean Doom3 is a total reverse of this for me. I fired the game up, found the engine totally mind blowing then after 3 hours I was so bored with the whole experience and the initial shock factor that I felt so disappointed, especially as I had just received a 6800 ultra to test it with. You see thats my point, perfect graphics dont always make a game playable. What can be defined as "playable" and fun is down to personal taste.

give it a shot for a few more days, if you arent enjoying it then get something you will !

In terms of the graphics, I didn't think adding car damage was such a hard thing. I think it would have been more enjoyable playing MP to crash into your buddy and take his door off or scrape along the side and see sparks and parts fly off. I'd really hoped this was gonna be in Underground 1. Anyhow it's just a disappointment. Otherwise it's a good game even though I have absolutely no aided direction other than doing same races over and over again. Doom3, I stopped playing half way through. My opinion is the game is overrated, uses a lot of cheap graphics(low res textures scattered around) and things like painted on shadows, dumb ai, predictable storyline, unoriginal ideas like PDA, poor MP, poor physics. I was doing Doom3 with a pistol while all the enemy even at Hard AI comes right up to you.. LOL! I got bored, haven't played it since. I actually enjoyed the game for about a day and then just zero interest to play it. But I'm still holding on to it incase the interest comes back.

But ya, I'm gonna stick with NFS:U2.. glad we could have a nice conversation.. Just wanted to put in my .02 for this game as the subject was asking for.

P.S. Nah, I prefer games like NFS, not rally really but they are fun, just felt there was gonna be more in NFS:U2. Should have known better I guess. It's EA. I'm not a fan of them, though I'm playing TW2005 and thoroughly enjoying it. Cheers man..

4. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

let me know how it goes and if you do trade it in :) nice talking to you too, hope you hang around on the forums.

5. BWX

BWX get out and ride

insulting the forum owner like that will get you kicked out in a hurry! :rofl:

Anyway of course I use a wheel. Just go get RBR so I can show you how fun it really is. (of course it will be frustrating for you to lose to me all the time at first) But you'll get over it. Go get it!

6. SkyBum

SkyBum New Member

Aw man! Was seriously planning on letting my copy sit on the shelf until I get the new rig finished but after reading this thread I just gotta go load it up!!!

So much for my productivity, at least if NFSU 1 was any indication. Man that game took over my life for awhile, if I wasn't playing it I was reading or dreaming about it...

7. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

One question for those people with surround on their PC's....

I've got a SB Live 5.1, with all 5 speakers hooked up, using the newest Creative drivers. When I do my sound testing in the Creative application all speakers seem to work correctly, AC3 decoding is on, and Windows control panel indicates 5.1.

Why don't I have 5.1 in NFS? It sounded to me, reading this thread, that some of you did... Is it because my sound card is "too old" and the THX isn't backwards compatible?

Any ideas?

8. Sgt.Slug

Sgt.Slug New Member

Your quote is incorrect, I didn't say that, he did. I also didn't take it offensively either. [or I am missing something, are you forum owner? lol]

I did make a mistake in my assessment of NFS-U2. I didn't realize you just drive around and 'find' things. Didn't even see this in the manual. So far I don't mind the game and all. Pretty fun and much nicer now that I found some shops to spend money in. So I got a tonne of shops and stuff so it makes it a little more interesting, though I still can't paint my car.. lol.

9. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Don't worry about it, it was just a joke man.

See, it's funny because you said he was like me, and that would be an insult to him- that's funny because I think you telling him he's like me is an insult... to him. Get it? :w00t:

10. Sgt.Slug

Sgt.Slug New Member

Heh, you still lost me. Doesn't matter. I'm at work, so it's ok to be lost.. or is it?

11. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Yeah, that's why I said don't worry about it. it was a joke.

12. RCAS

RCAS New Member

I got the first one, guess I will have to buy this one too.

13. Sgt.Slug

Sgt.Slug New Member

no idea... but at least my post count is up.. woohoo, only 450 more for an avatar... lol.

14. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

ive had the game before day 1 but havent had time to work on it much but here is some pics of my 240sx in the works (56k warning)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. pr0digal jenius

pr0digal jenius Delete Me

I'll have picks of my 10 star Tiburon tonight ;) as well as my 3.6 star H2 and 3(?) star 3000GT