Need For Speed Underground

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Nov 20, 2003.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Anyone say "WOW"??? guys get a copy of this game if you like racing cars, awesome graphics and plays incredible !

2. Spyro124

Spyro124 New Member

It 0wnz, only thing I cant seem to figure out is how to make a screenshot of my uberl33t car, when I press the printscreen button it appears there is something happening, but I haven't found those pics yet, maybe someone knows.

3. jjmd

jjmd New Member

Thats one game i will be getting. Thanks for the heads up Zardon.

4. Nexus

Nexus -=Space Cowboy=-

after you hit print screen alt tab or exit out and edit paste in paint or another program

5. Trunks0

Trunks0 Keeping an open mind

Personally I hated it. However I don't have a joystick to play it at the momment so Iam forced to use crap digital keyboard controls(overly touchy). I did enjoy the drag racing though. The steering was a little overly simple since taping left or right makes a perfect lane switch. But other wise I think I might like the game once I get a new Joystick to enjoy it :)

6. wertret

wertret Still watching...

I've always enjoyed need for speed games without any joystick, i guess because i've never has a console :). I'll try this one, it looks pretty good..

7. HardwareHeaven

yeah keyboard is always pretty difficult and certainly not in the same class as owning a top of the line gamepad. im really digging this game though, some of the nicest graphics in a racing game ive seen. Both the 9800 pro and the quadro are running it smooth as butter at high resolutions with AA and aniso, so at least the engine has been nicely tuned. A good engine is always important in a racing game.

Plays great too, highly recommended, if only I had time to play it for a few hours !

8. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

my review: pissed pants

get the ps2 controller or xbox controller on the pc and this game will own... all i have to say

9. Ev!L-aLphA

Ev!L-aLphA | n f e c t e D

it out already?

10. Markius

Markius New Member

hey spyro...get a prog called FRAPS...great for making screen shots and vids

and i should be getting NFSU today if Game Mania (the store im getting it from) gets it today :drool:

the demo looked beyond good!! :w00t: :drool: :w00t:

11. patje

patje Former Mobility Modman

if you like fast and the furious, you're gonna luv this one!! it's been ages since there was a good driving game, but here it is and its gonna stay!

.... bam i'm already gone! ... you guys are to slow to keep up with me :D

12. krazy1

krazy1 Live from the Dungeon

Bah gonna get my steering wheel & pedals out. Works MUCH better then a gaming controler....:D

13. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

I got it. It's alot of fun. If I had any complaints at all about it, it's that there is no damage and no replay (others may also complain of a lack of in-car view, but I like bumper cam ;) ). Other than that, it's great! A heck of alot better than the last NFS (Hot Pursuit 2), that game was half-arsed on the PC. Man! Does NFSU move FAAAASSSTT!!!! And 111 races in "Underground mode" WOOT!

It's running great on my 8500 at 1280x1024 with NO AA and 16 AF. The only options I left off in the game were motion-blur and light streaks, only because I didn't care for the effect. I also backed off the road reflection a notch because it looked overdone. But nothing affected the issue listed below.

The only issue I have with NFSU is an occasional hiccup/pause during play. It will do that two or three times at the beginning of the race within about the first 20 seconds of any given race (sometimes pausing for about 1.5 seconds) and then runs smooth after that. ( :hmm: Maybe it's loading texture data? :confused: ) It doesn't seem to be related to any game settings or resolution though, it will do it even when EVERYTHING is turned to minimum. Is that a video driver issue? Does it do that on nVidia hardware? I'm currently running a severely hacked set of Omega's drivers based on the 3.9's, but with the ati3d2ag.dl_ from the 3.5 hotfix drivers and the atioglxx.dl_ from the 3.7's.....so it's not like I can hollar at ATI about it. ;)

I give it a solid 8 out of ten. 2 points off for lack of replay or any damage model, but I'm nit-picky. :)

If you love arcadey racing games (as I do), this is the one to get this year!! Freakin' ZOOOOMMM!! Me likey!

14. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

some sick hip hop/rap beats in it, love get low
    and some aight rock beats in it also! i wish there was a mp3 utility or something.... i really wanna put more rap songs in there which is sick for driving

15. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

For me, it's some slammin' speed metal that goes well with these types of games. Unfortunately, this game has none of that. I wish there was a way to add my own tunes too. At least it has a way to kill any music you don't like.

16. Gardinen

Gardinen New Member

The graphics are GREEET!!

I had some minor lags in the game. Thought to get some more, just for fun so I cranked up the Performance->Quality slider in ATI Direct3D up to High Quality.
    Though I got the exakt opposite of what I would suspect. I got better FPS and awesome graphics!!!

17. wertret

wertret Still watching...

This game kick ass! Awesome graphics but if you turn off light traces and motion blur you're missing all the good stuff. I'm running it with a 9700pro at 1024x760 2xaa 16 ansio and all the eye candy to the max: Awesome performance! Also the OST is great. I give it a 9 out of 10 :D

18. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

Awesome game! Even with my Sidewinder game pad. Wish I had the steering wheel & pedals cuz now I have 3 games that would be sweet with it:
    NFS: Underground
    Midnight Club II
    Test Drive
    and possibly GTA:VC (I tried it with my gamepad and I prefer it to the keyboard) only for driving of course. You still need mouse & keyboard for running around and shooting.

The songs they have aren't that bad, yes there needs to be custom tracks (idk why there isn't...the other 3 games listed above do).

Oh, and I love the car customization.
    Even though I don't really have a top of the line computer, all the newest games set to max on everything and with 8xAA & level 8 AF @ 800x600 (the only resolution I play at) looks great with no pauses or slowdowns. My computer is tweaked to perfection! (I would hate to have to reinstall winxp due to all my perfect registry settings & other windows tweaks & settings...My next full format will be when longhorn comes out.)

The specs are only:
    1800MHz (2200+ AMD Athlon XP) - will be overclocked to well over 2000MHz when I get my prommie this week. Rt now running on a cheap ($20) antec heatsink which is the only one they had @ best buy so I bought it as a temp. (running at about 50°C idle/55°C load - SUxXx....but soon to be -50°C/-50°F)
    nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 8XAGP (not overclocked) 52.16 drivers
    256MB DDR PC2100 RAM (yes I know I need more)
    120GB drive + 40GB (currently not installed)

all this on my favorite motherboard (Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum - makes it sound so good....but IT IS!!! KT400 wish I had the new KT600....oh well u cant have everything) But when I bought this motherboard it was the best of the best available.
    It was made for overclocking too. Says so right on the box!
    (Smart Overclocking Options Including Adjustable CPU, DIMM and AGP Pro Voltages, Higher PCI Divider and Flexible IRQ Sharing)
    Oh im supposed to be talking about the game not my mobo...oh well this is what happens when u dont sleep :duh:
    But anyway I love this motherboard it's an overclocker's dream. And Soyo has good drivers and frequent BIOS updates.

Now about the game, I just played for a little while but even on this average system it plays just like on the best computer in the world (like i would know). The graphics are amazing (cant even imagine how much better they would look on a 9800XT.....or maybe not that much better)... anyway if u look in the 3Dsetup folder of the installation dir, you'll find 3dsetup.ini. Open that up and u'll find "TB_Button=0" change that to 1 and run 3dsetup and check the box for triple buffer...much better. Maybe there's more things u can add, who knows.

Oh, since I'm rambling on about stuff I'm wondering if any of u ppl use NO-CD cracks. I always use them for every game (after patching the game to the newest version of course- more on that later). They are so much better than having to put in the stupid CD for every game u play. This allows me to switch between games quickly without having to worry about CD's. Most NO-CD cracks and also trainers (bleh!) and other stuff related to games can be found at megagames.com in case u ppl didn't know.

Now about the patch.-> for this game EA GAMES made it so nice and simple. All u do is click the "check for update" link in the start menu group where the shortcut to the game is installed and it launches your browser. Then you get one of those nice "yes, no" security prompts. You press YES. Then all it is is a button on a white page that says check for patch (i think) u click that and it changes to "patch available" (or download patch or sumthing like that) Then u press that and after a few seconds it says update complete. How EZ is that.?!? Ok I think I'm done for today (at least for now)

In case anyone cares, I quit smoking weed. Weird, huh?!?
    I still have some and I dont know what to do wit it:D
    I quit it last week when I got the cold and my throat was sore and i was coughing, so i tried to smoke weed and i couldnt do it. I really tried..honest! Anyway, I was sick for a couple of days and didnt smoke and I figured I might as well not start up again. So far I saved about $120 just not smoking for about a week and a half. Sweet! I dont need this stupid weed! I think I will finish this weed that I have (about a dub of dro) after I beat my court case cuz I dont wanna fuck up in case they give me a drug test. Even if they dont i will feel better and more likely beat the case if im not high. Then ill finish this weed quickly and never buy more...ever. Now I said never buy more not never smoke more. There is a difference. But most likely I wont smoke that much unless ppl smoke me up (save some $) Then when I move out...:evil:

Ok now I'm really done.:dead:

EDIT: Holy shit i didnt realize the post was this long... oops!

19. HardwareHeaven

It is a fantastic game, im glad people are excited about it, best racing game ive played. the customisations alone are out of this world.

20. -={420}=-

-={420}=- New Member

That's the best part of the game. I didn't even unlock the performance customizations but just the visual ones are so cool. Let's just see it I can name some:
    rims-color and style-real companies! (black rims :drool::drool::drool:)
    paint with decals
    spoiler, bumpers, side somethings (forgot what theyre called) styles and colors
    neons !!
    hood, racing, 3-hole, etc.
    tinted windows
    decals on windows & body
    whoooo.. so much morei dont even remember
    and i just played for 2 minutes.
    I cant even imagine the performance updates..
    all i know are the categories, heres some:
    NOS !!!!
    brakes, tires, exhaust, engine, .... so much more ...
    gotta start unlocking them
    so far with no performance updates i made a custom car that i love:
    its the mazda rx-7 all black, black rims, green neon, black spoiler, black tinted windows, snyper style bumpers and side thingies, speed hood...so nice....would be nice if i had a screenshot... hold on ill see if it can be done....

Last edited: Nov 21, 2003