Need graphics card Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'General Graphics Cards Discussion' started by jlocasto42, Feb 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

The chip on the 6670 is a bit over 20% stronger than the one in the 5670 (480 vs 400 stream processors, a wee bit higher clock and a slightly tweaked architecture).

The thing to pay attention to with both, though, is the type of memory. Both 5670s and 6670s come with either GDDR5 or GDDR3 memory. Those with GDDR5 have twice the memory bandwidth of those with GDDR3, and the prices aren't too different, so they are preferred.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

if you don't mind.. pull your side panel off your computer and read the power supply label.. if you can post a picture .... see we can see what the 12v amperage rating is...

Considering hp.... i wouldn't be surprised if it's just a single 12v with a rating of 14 or 16amps which is about 168-192 watts of total output.

Most power supplies are rated by their total output across all voltages.. this is 12v/5v/3.3v.... and manufacturers LOVE to boost their wattage rating by factoring in stupidly high 5v/3.3v rating like it is going to matter. Ignoring the important one being 12v.

Knowing your psu's capabilities is important.

if you can see if it has a something like this. to know if your psu even has a pci-ex 16x connector.... will help also.

[​IMG]

3. jlocasto42

jlocasto42 New Member

I'll look for the specs on the PSU but i know i don't have that connector on it. That was why I wanted to upgrade it. I'll take a pic and upload it tomorrow

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Tomorrow, tomorrow, you said it would be tomorrow.... :sleep:

5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Your motherboard will support any modern graphics card. In order to make a recommendation, however, we need a little more information, so you should start a new thread in which you tell us:

• Your other specs (RAM, Processor)
    • Your exact PSU model
    • The resolution that you play at (e.g. 1440*900, 1920*1080)
    • What games you play
    • What graphics card you have now
    • Why you are upgrading
    • Your ideal budget for the upgrade
    • Your maximum budget for the upgrade

6. cctaylor88

cctaylor88 New Member

Very legit, keep us posted

7. relishape

relishape New Member

Hi, I just hope I could help about this. Anyway, I am not really that knowledgeable about graphic cards but upon reading from a source. I have known that both Nvidia and ATI are the most recent updated when it comes to graphic cards. Nvidia goes for superb optimization over a trial and error method used by application program. It can do much more. ATi's cards look great on paper, but in practice they fall short of their specs. It is up to you to choose according to your purpose.

8. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

I will close this thread.

The reason being is that this thread were created by the Opening user in 2012 and the last post were in feb 2013.. I would expect that the OP has sorted out his/her graphics cards so this makes the last post a little pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.