Need Help Direct Recording Dolby Digital 5.1 (Please)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SeraphicGate, Jan 20, 2012.

1. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

Hi,

I was looking over an old post I made here back in 2009 (has it been so long? :x). Anyway, I followed the instructions listed by Russ and I was able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 working. But now when I try to do it again in 2012, I am having a hard time. Using the same system, but newer software (newer Kx drivers and Reaper audio). Can't seem to recall if I need to use graphedit to link the hardware only for decoding AC3 or if that is needed for direct recording and I also can't seem to get Reaper to find the Optical audio source when using Kx WDM Driver.

Has any guide been created to assist recording Dolby Digital 5.1? :confused:

Drivers: Kx 3551a
    Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Reaper: 4.15
    OS: Windows XP Pro SP3 (does it work in Windows 7 too?)
    Connection: Optical SPDIF
    Source: Xbox 360

My old post:
    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/gener...audio-when-inputting-dolby-digital-5-1-a.html

Thanks

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Are you not getting a signal at all in Reaper or what?

Direct Recording is not complicated (no need for GraphEdit for just recording), so I wonder if it might be an issue with 3551a...

i.e.
    Main page of kxmixer:
    -- AC3 Decoding should be disabled.
    -- Enable Direct Recording from Coaxial

In Reaper, record using WDM Kernel Streaming (kX Wave 0/1).

Since you are using Windows XP, you might consider just going back to 3545b (3551a has some new bugs, and not much has been added/changed for XP users since 3545b).

Note: When I have a chance I will install 3551a and test it to see if it works for me...

BTW: I thought I should also mention that I have tested it previously with 3550 and did not have any problems.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I tested with 3551a (on XP SP3) and I did not have any problems.

One thing to note (I think it is the same in 3550) is that in Reaper, when you choose Kernel Streaming, all the kX Wave devices show up as (something like) kX 10k2 Audio (3551) Generic (no card names nor wave device names) which can make it hard to know which one to pick. In any case, the 1st one should be kX Wave 0/1.

kX Config
    Reaper config

Beyond that, I do not know...
    What exactly is not working for you?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  4. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

Hello Russ, good to see you're still here. :w00t:

I have to be at work really early the next two days so I won't really have time to mess with this again until Sunday. Anyway, the problem was Reaper was showing no input for kX 10k2 Audio (3551) Generic (all of them). However, that might have been because I had Kx set to SPDIF C (which I thought was the correct input as I am using SPDIF). I was able to get input using Kx ASIO mode, but it was a bad conversion for AC3 and Reaper also kept not letting set the recording mode to stereo...

The issue I kept having an issue with graphedit saying the devices can not communicate. So I take it if I do not need graphedit or ac3filter for direct recording? Also, does direct recording AC3 work under Windows 7 x64 (if you know)?

Thanks

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hmm, I thought you used coaxial (i.e. I assume it is for coaxial/optical), but I do not know, try it...

For recording with Reaper you do not need Graphedit (Graphedit was used for decoding using AC3Filter). If the filters will not connect in Graphedit, then you probably forget to enable one of these options in AC3Filter:
    -- SPDIF Tab:
    - Enable the "Detect SPDIF stream in PCM data" option under "SPDIF options"
    - Enable the "Check output format support" option under "DirectShow options"
    The full instructions for that were in this post.

As for the Windows 7 x64 stuff... I have no idea...

6. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

I am going to format and try this again with a clean install.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  7. SeraphicGate

SeraphicGate New Member

Thank you, Russ. Got it working now! :D

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Glad I could help :)