Need help raising a TV higher on a fixed stand

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Mr Cairo, Jun 5, 2016.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Ok so recently I managed to get a Sony Bravia 4K 50" tv and paired this with a Sony Soundbar , Through some amazing design work by Sony the soundbar actually blocks the Remote Signal receiver the only way to use the remote is to stand up and point it over the soundbar

The soundbar sits in front of the TV on the same level as the stand I cannot for the life of me figure out how this simple flaw was missed ...

what I am hoping is that someone can recommend a product along the lines of clear plastic about 2-3 inches thick about 30 inches long and 10 inches wide I can stand the TV on this and the signal should be fine

any ideas ?

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I've needed to do something similar but for a different reason. What I did was get a piece of wood shelving and place a couple of concrete bricks under it at each end. OR, you can even use some short 2x4 to cut and use for the "legs" at each end and secure them with wood screws. This is more solid and secure than anything plastic and it can be painted to your preferred color scheme.

3. Mr Cairo

Yeah I was thinking wood but hoped someone had seen some kind of prebuilt stand before I commuted to anything and of course Black is the colour of choice :)

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Wood is your cheapest solution. Even particle board, or a piece of composite wood (aka. man made wood) would be cheap. You should even be able to find a sheet pre-stained for the color you want.

Any other material and the cost spikes significantly. The most ascetically appealing would be a sheet of Plexiglas (aka. acrylic). Normally they come in clear, but you can get black, even translucent black, and mirrored. Problem is that a 2 inch thick piece at the size you want would expensive, even the clear. It could be close to $300 for a sheet the size you want (more if you get the edges polished, and the corners rounded). A 1 x 12 x 36 sheet, however, could run you $75-100. So, in this case, I would get 2 sheets of 1 inch at the size you want, and then bond them together.

5. Mr Cairo

yeah i looked into plexiglass it got expensive very quickly ... going to go with some kind of wood

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

If you want/wish for some ventilation, one of the first ones I built was made of perforated paneling. I simply built a frame out of 1x4s then added some 2x4s at each end for "legs" and it provides ample ventilation for whatever is above or below it. It comes in quarter inch thickness...which is why it needs a frame for support.

ShelfSupport.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Mr Cairo likes this.
  7. Mr Cairo

Nah ventilation not a priority the main priority is my wife cannot think its looks ugly or obtrusive ... "make it match" was the general idea

Dyre Straits likes this.
  8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

1: Sony..... why sony?.... you've already got it... but i'm always a little confused why people pick up sony.... SPECIALLY if they intend on playing pirated content on it... Cinavia is going to eat you alive.

2: "Most" people are wall mounting their tvs... i say "mose" using *"* since personally it's bullshit. Being in the business of selling tvs and along with the fact that soundbars are frankly piles of shit intended for easily convinced customers to throw money away... They really actually consider design short of cosmetic appearances that might match the series of tv they "assume" someone would buy it for.... oh it's curved and looks like this series of curved display?... awesome sauce.... to bad they don't want you to set in front of the tv.

It irks the crap out of me when they show promo and pictures of tvs and sound bars sitting in front of them.... but in reality, the sound bars rarely fit properly in that spot and make it near impossible to use the tv's basic features if the sensors are there... OR in some cases, they block the bottom portion of the screen for smaller models.. Which leads to the confusion as to why would anyone with say a 65 or larger display... bother with a sound bar.... sooo tinny and bleh... there are new tvs that still sound better and more full than majority of these things.

Anywho... most of the instructions i've come across usually suggest mounting the sound bar ABOVE the tv to the wall. That's how most people end up going with it

9. Mr Cairo

1. Originally had Samsung but both sets I tried had massive lip sync issue the Sony was offered as a replacement and upgrade and nope I dont intend to play pirated content on it so Cinavia isn't an issue

2. not sure where to start here its kind of hard not to take your almost rant of an answer a little personal, but firstly my choice of soundbar is apparently generally shit and I am an easily convinced customer fooled by aesthetics ... thing is before the soundbar I had a Phillips 5.1 surround system it was great but after redoing the living room I got tired of all the wires and speakers and the replacement soundbar i now use is fine for what I want , loud enough and the sound is quite clear enough for me

I cant think I have ever seen a soundbar mounted above a TV on a stand before not even sure how its possible

I see you let off steam quite often on here you seem to take lots of trivial thigs very personally especially when ity comes to other peoples supposed technical failings but this is the first time I have been or have felt that I am at the end of it ... sorry that my apparent lack of solid choice of TV brand and poor choice of shit tinny sounding soundbar seems to have annoyed you

I will still just probably go with a piece of wood

10. Judas

That's strange... among all the tv sets, samsung is one that tends to avoid this issue.. on top of it.. even includes a lipsync adjustment in the settings. Sony has samsung make thier tvs which aren't all the much different... basically samsung with a sony label and a few sony chips.

personal... no, not at all... there are obvious nuances to the generalization. There are practical applications for anything.... it's just that in the last couple of years.... the "in thing" is soundbars and people with beautiful systems that even have all the cables hidden away are jumping at the soundbar thinking they can get better sound from it "because they say so" totally ignoring the previous setup they have, specially when they wish to pay the least amount they can but expect 1000's of dollars worth of quality audio in return. I have to deal with it relatively constantly and i'm more stunned by the absurd demands.

As long as it's sufficient for your needs that's all is required... Personally having dealt with and still dealing with wireless speakers.... IMO they are shit, avoid them at all costs... no dollar value seems to guarantee you ease of use or quality.

I don't think i've seen a soundbar of any even low quality.. that doesn't have at least 2 mounting points for wall mounting. Just pop 2 screws in the wall and tada. Depending on the size, they should land on studs... some of the crap models however seem to put a mount point is a silly location. If it's not on the wall.. it's sitting below the tv on a shelf (Which makes it audioably more difficult to hear clearly since our ears are not on our knees, which reminds me of one guy that had nice shelf speakers that were upside down on the floor, which meant the tweeters were firing at the carpet and the subwoofer as firing at ear level... which was a complete mess).

These aren't really much of a rant... or letting off steam.... it's more of just open thoughts about the circumstances/situations/other nonsense that i have to deal with... I question everyone... and that apparently pisses everyone off... because in my experience, people so sure of themselves and their decisions more often than not, end up failing.... and somehow don't learn from it, or ignore the fact that they were suggested something else only for them to do what they want.... which is fine.. if they'd learnt from it. The other factor is impulse... I find it facinating how people, specially today... specially since the babyboomers came about, are driven by impulse actions with little to no thinking things through.... attention seeking/greed/celebritizing and mimicry. "so and so has this.... it's the in thing...... etc" so they do it regardless of it actually working in unison with themselves or not, usually not....

11. Calliers

Calliers Side hustle: Mayor of Kenja Staff Member

Before this thread goes to hell in a hand basket I just want to say, Judas just needs to copulate. Lol.

12. Judas

there are no groupies on the band wagon...

13. Mr Cairo

Yup and I have been a Samsung fan for a long while but my first choices of the 6 series 4k TV's both had issues with lipsync especially when switching from one device to another say from TV input to Bluray only solution was to turn the TV on and off again to resolve it (yes I tried the menu and the sync solution but it didnt work ) , Currys gave me an upgrade and a replacement TV and the sound issue on the Sony has not occurred so I am happy enough with that

I loved my Surround system but i live ina houise with my wife and compromises have to be made she hates the wires and the stands so for the sake of compromise (in a marrige it happens ) I agreed to get rid of it the Soundbar is nowhere near as good as the 5.1 system but it is better than the built in TV sound (mainly the bass but still overall its better)

If it was a wall mounted TV I could accept a wall mounted soundbar but the whole thread was about raising a Tv on a TV stand so wall mounting the Soundbar is not an option for me , Can it be done probably yeah but is it a feasible solution for me no not at all

Ok without turning this into an argument , I think the problem is you appear have no self edit or feel that you just dont need one, so you post your reply without any thought for what has been asked in fact just to be really picky the only pertinent part of your original answer suggesting I wall mount the Soundbar is the final line. The rest of it is just you being you showing how much more you think you know and giving your opinion with no thought of politeness as in "Sony is crap Soundbars are shit etc"

I also don't tend to buy just because such and such has it to be honest I just dont earn enough to live like that but I am pretty loyal to my brands Samsung phone, Samsung Tablets, Samsung TV in my room and my sons Until last month when I had my first ever Sony tv and fair play so far its pretty good

You say that you just question everyone well no thats not the fact ...in this thread if you had managed to stay pertinant to the question you would have stuck with only the idea of wall mounting as opposed to the TV stand and you kind of got there but you had to question my choice of TV and Soundbar first

the annoying thing is most of what you say is sensible and often helpful you just dont seem to have mastered the ability to do it with consideration for others

14. Judas

Alternative solution presented..... any follow on discussions related to the topic are not to be taken as a "solution" to the issue and simply additional discussion points that can be expanded on. There really isn't anything else that can be presented without repeating unnecessarily the same points previously made, frankly i don't have a problem and would have recommended the "place tv on a substand to give clearance required" if it wasn't already suggested.

I'm a bit baffled by the "politeness"... how wasn't i polite... or rather how wasn't i considerate of others?

15. Mr Cairo

EDIT :

Nope sorry cant leave that there had to edit it all ,

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  16. Lenny13

Lenny13 New Member

Hi, need advice. Wanna buy TV wall mount for 42 inch monitor, but I don't know which system type is better.
    When searched at google it showed me these variants.
    Someone can tell me which better?

17. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Waiting for the spam reply....

IvanV likes this.