[need info] So i'm buying a new soundcard...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by patje, Jul 13, 2005.

1. patje

patje Former Mobility Modman

I've been using the integrated sound card on my epox 8rda+ (nforce2) and so far it's been doing it's job pretty good. Now just recently a game called BF2 got installed on my computer and my standard headset and mic just didn't seem to work that well.

So after a while of looking around, I bought an Osaki 5.1 headset. It's brilliant, really by far the best buy since, my x800pro. Now, it has a mic attached and that's just the problem.

my Mainboard only has 3 connections, line in, out, and one more which i forgot, but it's the standard setup you need for 5.1 sound. Problem is i need 3 jacks to hook up 5.1 but one of them is the mic jack, so i hear anything fine, i just can't use the mic.

so let's look at the alternative's, fired up google with a query to find me a "real" soundcard.

It didn't took me long to figure out the overall supreme ownage of the creative audigy series.
    Considering it's still a soundcard i don't want to spent 250$ on a audigy 4, and I don't need those fancy control boxes, i'm fine with the audigy 2 ZS (bulk or retail)
    (btw, the audigy has an extra connection for the mic, so that solves my problem)
    Did a lot of review looking up, and the card seems ok.

But can anyone tell me, is it really that good ?

Thanks for your toughts

2. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

the audigy 2 ZS is a sweet card m8 :D

10 outta 10 for me

3. patje

well looking at ur system specs, you seem to know what is good ;)
    Thanks man

4. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'm not overjoyed with Creative Labs, but especially with the price the Audigy2 ZS is probably the best bet for anyone without some special needs. Using the YouP-PAX modded Audigy4 driver package made it even better for me.

5. patje

so you are able to install a modified driver so it acts as an audigy 4? interesting.
    You'll have to exuse my lack of knowledge on the subject. it's been a while since i've been using a "real" soundcard. Thanks for your response Mkk

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

there are quite a few options for custom drivers on Creative cards nowadays

the A2ZS is probably one of the best bets atm from the Creative stable, as you said you don't need any of the external boxes, finding a cheap bulk model (identical to the retail model) should suit you fine

7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'm sure it doesn't act fully as an Audigy4, but there are improvements. Most Audigy4 related software can supposedly be used from the Audig4 software CD/ISO, but I've gone for a clean system with none of those applications. The improvements I've noticed from using the bare driver package are more related to getting an even slightly better sound quality. And perhaps I'm simply happier from avoiding a few annoying details of the Creative software I was using before I tried this. ;)

But I guess you should try the regular Audigy2 driver/software deal first time, to see if some feature is of perticular interest. And I'm glad to lend any assistance I can to someone who does so much for others.

8. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

mkk: hardware wise the a4 and the a2zs are very similiar, the only real difference is that the a4 has different analogue out circuitry, that increases the audio quality

the 1k2 and p16v chip are still there, and as such there should be no real issue

9. patje

once again thanks for the info, i'll be rushing down the store later when i get back from work. I hope the card is in stock or... i'll have to wait lol.
    I'm just so curious how much better it will sound. I'm not an audiphile (spell?) but anyone can hear differences between good and bad. I always tought my nforce2 sound chip was pretty good. Well tonite i'll find out the difference i guess. I'll keep you guys posted of my findings.

10. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

You should notice a difference straight away. The A2 is far better than any onboard solution.

Richer more meaty, punchier sounds will come flowing over your ears.

Enjoy!

11. patje

u guys were tight, this thing is the bomb, I can't believe i spent last 2 years without decent sound lol. thanks for the help!

I do notice a few bugs here and there in creative's software. I have still need to try the other stuff out, like the modded driver etc, but so far i'm really impressed!

12. classic_leon

classic_leon Well-Known Member

We found p16v/p17v was software module. But drivers do not include them for avoiding "troubles".

13. rico01

rico01 Audio Junkie

Guys guys guys... wait until Creative has released info on any card with the new X-Fi sound processor. I'm not sure when such a card is out but I would definately wait to buy a new soundcard if the X-Fi based soundcard is near release. At least to see how good it is compared to the Audigy 2 ZS.

If you must buy a new soundcard today, then my suggestion is a bulk version of the Audigy 2ZS or, in case you want the breakout box as well, the Audigy 4.

Edit: d'oh... This is what I get from skimming posts. Ok, so you already bought a card :D

Happy you are satisfied.

I am still very very extremely curious about the X-Fi though.