NEED MODEM HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by JavaFox, Jun 7, 2002.

1. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

I hope somebody can shed some light on this.

I've encountered this problem with both Lucent and PCTel chipsets. Under WinXP, the modems install fine. You can do the diagnostics and they appear to run fine as well. But when you dial, you get a "No dial tone" error. There is nothing wrong with the connection, as replacing the modem allows me to connect. Why in the world does this happen? Anybody know of a fix? I will be eternally greatful.

2. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

I suppose I should say a bit more about the modems I'm tangling with right now. One is a Generic Lucent Winmodem, the other a PCTel HSP56 MicroModem.

Please help! :tears:

3. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

Usually when modems gives a NO DIALTONE message, when they are correctly configured and everything else seems fine, means that the modem is dammaged and has died :(
    The part that got dammaged is the tone detector or broken connection lines (the metal lines in the modem socket).
    Try using the swaping the cable positions (even if they are mislabeled) and test it, if it doesn't work again, then the tone detector is dammaged, modem died :dead:

4. JavaFox

JavaFox E Pluribus Unum

I greatly appreciate the insight, but here's the thing.

See, my brother and I both use the same El Cheapo Lucent Winmodem (yeah, yeah, scoff!) -- we both started running into the same problem. On his system, for whatever reason, it went away. I've also had it happen on two brand new modems (the exact same ones), right out of the box. So, basically, I've had it happen to four Lucents, two of which were brand new. And only one of them seems to work. The odds that the other three died or were DOA is pretty slim, I'd wager

As far as this PCTel one goes, though, I think you're right, because now I'm getting lockups when I try to connect. I haven't dealt with many PCTels, so I'm willing to wager that you are probably right about this one.

But the Lucent problem is really confusing me. ANYONE have any idea? I don't run into this problem with Conexant-based modems -- not at all.

5. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

thats because conexant makes some pretty pimpin modems :D

6. UberLord

UberLord A Legend in Underwear

Well, it may be the modem -> phone socket cable. I know for sure that USR 56k modems needed a special cable to work - which other 56k modems didn't need. Why this is I really have no idea. But its worth trying a new cable before buying a new modem - but get one rated by your modem manufacturer instead of a noname just to be on the safe side

7. alewisa

alewisa New Member

Tried setting for blind dial AT, erm, hell that long since used a modem! erm.. will come back later!

8. Jeff

Jeff Yarr... I be blind!

In WinXP, I had the same problem, but the modem is fine, works in Win2K, so I used the driver for "Generic SoftK56 Modem" and it worked fine.

(I think mine is a Conexant though...)