Need to setup 3 computers on wireless router

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by tek, Dec 27, 2003.

1. tek

tek New Member

My buddy has three computers.... and they're pretty far away from each other so he needs a router that will hook up all these three computers to one DSL connection.

I dont know much... actually I dont know SHIT about networking/routers, etc.... so I'm asking for your help.

What do I need to do this? I was thinking this router here
    Linksys Wireless G 54Mbps Cable/DSL Router, Model WRT54G

Is he going to need any other parts? I'm thinking he's gonna need three wireless cards for each computer :confused: - by the way one of the computers is a laptop.

Thanks for your help guys, much appreciated.

2. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Netgear or Linksys is good..but so is D-Link. Just remember wireless can be very finicky about obstructions. What I would suggest is setting up the laptop first then moving it around to the other two areas to see how strong the signal will be. You should be able to tell then if he also needs a repeater too. I would suggest you setup the WEP too of course. BTW, what OS's are on these computers?

P.S. If this person has 2.4GHz phones be ready for a battle of channel wars..but if you need any help with that post back. It also must be said at least one computer should be "able" to be hard wired to the router.

3. tek

tek New Member

Yes I will make sure one computer is hard-wired to the router.
    Can I ask you a stupid question... what is WEP? :hmm:
    The OS's will most likely be Windows XP, if not only of one them will be Windows ME, they dont have to be networked to share files and shit... all they need to share an internet connection.

And am I going to have to get one of those wireless card thingies for one of the computers (since one computer is gonna be hard-wired, and the laptop probably already has it intergrated)?

Thanks necrosis.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

How old is the house... this will tell you if a wireless setup will even work...... Spacially with led paint on the walls ;)...... Distance.. that should be stated on the box.. but i'd say take 25% of that away to get a better estimate....... floursesnt lights have away with screwing around with some routers to....

BTW... i perfer D-Link

They work right out of the box usually...

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Whatever you get, stay away from SMC Wireless. It might be OK, but, my brother-in-law has one and it was working fine until his ISP did something that disabled the network access to the Internet until his purchased separate leases for each computer.

I lean toward D-Link for my networking.

6. eyeguy616

eyeguy616 ZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

I just got some wireless networking gear (Uniden stuff since it was dirt cheap at outpost.com, see my thread here for details and problems). They worked right out of the box to give my laptop and other computer wireless net access, even with WEP (wired equivalent privacy), but I can't seem to get them to "see" each other and with WEP enabled the connections are dropped/resetup every 20 to 30 minutes.
    It's driving me crazy just trying to get them to see each other! >_< My thread describes everything I've done so far, but nothing seems to work....

~eyeguy616

7. Necrosis

Tek...

Networking with wireless is just about the same as a regular network just you have to setup the same perimeters such ass.

Preamble Type
    Transfer Rate
    SSID Broadcast (Radio)
    Channel #

When you setup the network these will make a bit more sense. Now on older OS's you will most likely use the default config. program that comes with the card. However, you can make windows do all the hardwork too..however you have to dig to find the above perimeters. It's not as bad as it seems you and you may have to do some experimenting to strengthen the signal.

Here is a site that will help you generate a WEP http://www.warewolflabs.com/portfolio/programming/wepskg/wepskg.html

8. Necrosis

Eyeguy...

Do you have any 2.4GHz phone around if so try turning them off to see if this helps with your problem. It seems sometimes the the encryption for 2.4GHz phones can fake out a wireless network. Speaking of which I have a 2.4GHz Uniden phone that makes my network go crazy if I place it between my repeater & laptop. I also advise you to make sure Windows isn't set to "save power" on your wireless cards as well.

9. eyeguy616

eyeguy616 ZZzzzzzzzzzz...........

Well I use a 900 mhz phone, so no problem there. Keep in mind that it was happening when WEP (64-bit) was enabled. I've since disabled WEP and have not had any dropped/resetup connections since (I will look into more potential causes for drops like the microwave, and have now disabled the auto power save).
    I realize that it should be quite simple to get two computers to see each other on the network and have succeeded in doing so in the past over a hub, but doing the same setup with the wireless network and router just didn't work. I'd like to avoid reinstalling windows to get those settings back to square one, but it doesn't seem like I have too many options.
    Any of y'all know of a program or script or something that can auto-set a bunch of these network settings? I've tried many things and it's like pulling teeth without novocaine or hard liquor! :(

~eyeguy616