Nero 12 BluRay Player Question

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

With my BluRay drive, I got Nero 12 with its BluRay Player. It works great so long as I play the BluRay movie on my main monitor via the AMD HD7970.

But, if I move the movie over to my LCD TV, connected to the Intel HD4000 via HDMI, I get a "cannot play this media" error.

Does the Intel HD 4000 not support playing BluRay? Or, does anyone know what I need to do to fix the error?

UPDATE:

I resolved the "cannot play this media" error by making the TV the Primary display. The Blu Ray disc now actually starts. But, what I'm getting now is a Green Screen. The menu buttons eventually show up but there's no video.

Could be:

1. HDMI Cable?
    2. TV maybe not HDCP enabled? (Toshiba fairly recent model.)
    3. Or???

UPDATE 2:

FWIW, I selected to play the Blu Ray disc on my Sony PS3 3D screen using HDMI from the HD 7970. Everything works fine so long as I'm using the HD 7970. Will attempt to use the Sony connected to the Intel HD 4000 next.

UPDATE 3:

Still get a green screen when attempting to use HDMI...and even a DVI->HDMI adapter connected to the Intel HD 4000.

As stated previously, the Menu Buttons for the video show up and can be selected via the Arrow Keys on the K/B. Just no video whatsoever...not even the Copyright notices...show up at all.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Are you able to plug the TV into your 7970? I would've thought that you would have enough ports.

3. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Seems to me the problem is the Intel HD, or the drivers for it.

I have no experience with Nero's BD player though so I can't say how that is. Have you tried PowerDVD or TotalMedia THeatre?

4. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

Sounds like a HDCP issue to me.

5. Dyre Straits

Since my Sony 3D display must use HDMI to produce 3D, that is 'taken'. I'm trying to avoid having plug/unplug devices repeatedly whenever I want to watch a BR movie. Keep in mind, I also have a 3x1 Eyefinity setup going here using 2 DVI + 1 mDP->DVI adapter. I 'may" be able to use the 2nd mDP port if I had another adapter. But, since the HD4000 came with the motherboard, I'm trying to make use of it.

The drivers are the latest available for it direct from Intel. Nero has been notified and has already responded with the steps to send in the specs and steps I've taken so far.

This well could be a HDCP problem and is at the top of my own list of suspicions. I'm finding a LOT or reports via Google of the same or similar experience with this iGP.

6. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

You can buy little toggle boxes on Ebay for very little money which have 3x HDMI inputs and 1x HDMI output. That would allow you to share the HDMI connection and not have to switch cables... or worry about the Intel GPU and HDCP weirdness. (I would take a guess that if you took out the AMD stuff and ran only on the Intel GPU it would work fine, its just the multi brand GPU parts that are acting up)

If you go down the switch route, look for this design. Its not the same brand as I use but i assume its just a case of an OEM rebranding and I have had no problems with HDCP (just switch before you power on the 2nd device).

[​IMG]

7. Dyre Straits

Thank you for that! I actually had forgotten about having an HDMI switch that was put in a drawer some time ago. The one I got has a remote, too.

Nice memory jog!!!

EDIT/UPDATE: OK, I did find the one I put away. And, it is configured the same as the one you've shown. This, though, doesn't resolve the problem I'm having. I need one that allows for a single INPUT from the HD 7970 and then multi OUTPUT to the Sony 3D and to the HDTV. So, it would need to be a reverse to what I have and the one shown.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

I can guarantee that that HD4000 working as a secondary or even tertiary adapter to playback blurays works... The only issue is that prior to STARTING bluray playback, you must move the application over to the monitor/display first.

My example I've got a 6950 as the primary card..
    I've then go 2x Nvidia adapters below, one running a display.

And then I've HAD a HD4000 enabled on this 3770k running a Panasonic projector and I've also had it attached to a Samsung LCD/LED HDTV.

Using powerdvd I can start the video playback on the 6950 and drag it across any of the displays connected to it alone.. but if I drag it onto the NVidia or HD4000, it spits out an error regarding HDCP communication error. I have to stop the sucker, Drag the window to the right screen, and then proceed to start it again.

Nero bluray player I have no clue about. I got pissed off with Nero's software shortly after nero 7/8 packages arrived quite a few years ago.

I guess my question is.. what turns green when you try to play, JUST the video portion? Or the entire tv?

This is the latest set from intel

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22605&lang=eng

9. Dyre Straits

Pretty much exactly what I'm doing. I'm making the HD4000 display the primary display. Starting the BluRay Player on that display. Here's what I get once the menu buttons show up...

[​IMG]

If I choose to try to play, I get audio but just a solid green screen.

There is also an issue even when I play the movie via my HD 7970 that developed last night during an episode of Firefly:

At certain points during the movie, it would do the Green Screen thing. I had to stop the movie, restart it and then select the section of the movie where it started the green screen and it would play fine...until it did it again. Then I'd repeat the restart again. It seemed to me that this green screen would happen during a switch to a new scene in the movie.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  10. Judas

weird... you get the menu items showing up fine....

this is a clear problem with the video decoding process .... I would point the finger at a problem with the software... (common) cause I don't have an issue with powerdvd on the HD2500/4000's I've setup

11. Dyre Straits

But, if it's software, why do the movies play at all when I run them through the HD 7970?

12. Judas

Same reason that some games have a fit on the Radeon xxxx yet work on other brand or even a different generation of radeon xxxx... Be it a driver issue or a Game issue (software)

Nero could have messed up Intel HD4000 support. Specially considering that I play blurays fine on my HD4000 which is the exact same make/model of yours via PowerDVD just fine.

13. Dyre Straits

What version of PowerDVD are you using? I actually have an older version that came bundled with a graphics card some time ago. I just don't think it has support for BluRay. And, since it's an OEM version it likely doesn't qualify for an upgrade to a newer version.

The versions I have are XP and 6.

14. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

You can always download the latest version, you can run it in Trial for a few weeks with all functions.

15. Judas

Bluray support in powerdvd didn't show up until 7.. and you had to screw with it to make it work.

Powerdvd 8 was officially the first one that have full blown bluray capability out of the box.

You needed powerdvd 9 to get it working on windows vista/7...

At this point in the game, I only know that PowerDVD 11 with the Absalute Latest Patch will work fine. PowerDVD 12 or 13 should be fine out of the box.

16. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

To add to what Liqourice mentioned, you could also try out TotalMedia Theatre 6 which has a 15 day free trial, as well as UFUSoft Blu-ray Player (although I'm not sure how long the trial runs for).

You could also try getting BR to work with Media Player Classic or Windows Media Player. Contrary to popular belief, it does work.. just takes some meddling to get it up and running (can be a pain in the ass to set up, but imo worth it), but if I remember you'll need some sort of decryption software running in the background such as AnyDVD HD, or have the movie pre-decrypted to play.

Come to think of it, running AnyDVD HD might help here. Since it decrypts movies on the fly it might resolve the green screen issue IF it is being caused by the copy protection. If I recall it has a 21 day free trial too.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  17. Dyre Straits

I got all the requested info sent in to Nero awhile ago. Since then, I've download and started the trial for AnyDVD HD. After it scanned the disc, I actually was able to get Windows Media Player Classic to play video....but, so far, no luck getting the Subtitles to work.

However, I'm still getting the solid green screen with Nero 10. I decided to let it start the movie and then selected the options for Subtitles and the subtitles DO show up just fine...although on a solid green background.

So, since MP Classic can actually play the video, it seems there's a problem in Nero's software ... or permissions ... preventing the video from playing.

18. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's something I forgot to mention. While it does work in MPC you can usually only play the main file. That's the caveat I guess. One thing you could try is manually opening the index.bdmv, the main movie file, and see if the subtitle options are still accessible.

On another note, someone mentioned that DVDFab Media Player might be another option, but it'd mean paying for it to find out as the trial version only allows playback of Blu Ray ISOs. Paid will play disc. The reason it was mentioned is because the player decrypts movies on the fly as well as play them.

19. Dyre Straits

Got an email reply from Nero Support....

Unfortunately we have to inform you that we do have some issue at the moment with the Intel onboard grahic cards. We are already working on this problem and hope to release an update for this issue as soon as possible.

So, they are aware of the problem and working on a fix for it.

20. Judas

I thought so.....

they should release "announce" or at least LIST these damn issues on the website... so people aren't left scratching their heads