Nero Express 6 (6.6.0.19b) Causes Windows Registry Error

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

After getting overwhelmed with recommendations of using Nero over Roxio, I decided a few weeks ago to try it out. Not long after installing it....AFTER uninstalling everything related to Roxio and cleaning up the Windows Registry....I started getting an error upon every reboot into Windows.

"A file containing Windows Registry data had to be recovered using.....alternate source" (or something to that effect.)

So, after not realizing that it's related to NERO, I finally broke down and did a clean installation of Windows XP Pro SP2 last night.

After getting all of Windows Updates and getting the motherboard/chipset drivers all updated...including the BIOS...I started installing programs.

Everything went fine right up until immediately AFTER installing NERO.

As soon as I got that error, I uninstalled NERO and the error disappeared.

Soooo....is anyone else having this problem AND, more importantly, what can be done to fix it?

I have to say that, after using NERO for a few weeks, I really DO like it. But, I'm not going to put up with Registry errors if it can't be remedied.

I Googled and even looked on NERO's website for help and couldn't find anything related to this. Otherwise, it would be no issue.

Thanks in advance!

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

When you are installing Nero, are you also installing InCD (InCD or InCD Reader), or the Nero Suite?

3. Dyre Straits

On this last attempt, using the Nero OEM that came with my Samsung WriteMaster, I chose only the Nero Suite. That includes: Nero 6; Nero Vision Express; and Nero Media Player.

InCD4 and InCD Reader were omitted.

Does that help?

4. Tipstaff

Kinda. Have you tried installing just the Nero portion? I know the OEM disc allows for it. Right now my guess is that the system is probably not liking Nero's ASPI driver, but it could be something else as that error seems familiar. Kinda odd though. I've probably installed that OEM disc a few dozen times, and I've yet to see that particular problem come up... at least not with Nero.

The Samsung drive you have, is it SATA or IDE? Is it the S162 or S182? And all your drives are running in DMA mode within Device Manager, and not PIO mode, right?

In any case, a few things pop to mind in regards to that error: bad memory (or unstable memory.. especially if you are pushing the timings on the ram), file system error on the hard drive, corrupt/locked user profile, the user you are logged in with doesn't have the proper file permissions (specifically to do with the NTUSER.DAT file), or a corrupt registry.

So, things to try (I know you know how to do this, but if anyone else is reading this it'll make more sense to them ;) ):

1) Try to do a repair of the registry using something like Registry Mechanic, RegSupreme, or TuneUp Registry Defrag. Do this after you have Nero installed. Most you will have to pay for, but I think some of them will fix things even in their trialware state.

2) Do a chkdsk or scan of your drive, either by using chkdsk /f, or right-clicking the hard drive in My Computer, Properties, Tools, Error-Checking, Check Now.

3) Do you have your anti-virus protection installed prior to installing Nero? You may want to uninstall it, as well as anything else that might be blocking registry changes, and then load Nero to see if the error still pops up.

4) If you are using aggressive timings for yor ram, try lowering them a bit. Also, if you have more than one stick, try removing all but one.

5) Double check your IDE/SATA drivers, and also that all your drives are running in DMA mode.

6) And this might sound like a stupid suggestion, but what time do you have? Seriously, what's your computers system time/date set to?

5. Dyre Straits

The following image shows the exact error message that was popping up each time I rebooted the computer.

Now, here's what I've done since my last post:

I tried installing ONLY NERO 6...none of the rest of the suite or any of the other apps.

As the installation proceeded, this image is what popped up. So, I canceled the installation, cleaned up the mess with CCleaner and rebooted.

I sighed a little with relief that the error didn't reappear. So, I got to thinking, "I have another NERO CD that came with another DVD drive I bought. I'll try that one."

So, that's what I did. AND, again, I ONLY installed NERO 6 without any other selection.

This error popped up AGAIN. BUT, this time, I decided to proceed and see what happened upon reboot.

Lo, and behold! It did NOT appear.

I've rebooted twice since then just to check it out and there is no error at all...so far....knock on wood!

The version is a little older but, who cares if it works, right?! :)

[​IMG]

6. Tipstaff

BTW, which computer is this happening on? The Intel 975, the ASUS A832R-MVP, or some other machine?

7. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

I have had older versions of Nero go wacko on newer hardware, especially the OEM versions. As Windows and system drivers are updated over time Nero always finds a way to become incompatible. I know that most people do not like Nero7 but if you take the time to configure the installer then it is one of the most stable programs of it's kind.

8. Dyre Straits

AND, mrbusa!

This has been happening on two newer motherboards: 680i chipsets both. Both motherboards have been updated to the latest BIOS and chipset drivers.

So, it could very well be some incompatibility between the older NERO versions and the newer hardware.

However, as I stated in my last post, the problem has gone away after installing an even older OEM version.

9. >GSXR<mrbusa

>GSXR<mrbusa MY BIKE vvv

Ya,
    That is what I meant by " older versions of Nero go wacko on newer hardware, especially OEM versions".

The very old OEM version that you have got to work most likely just doesn't some some line of code somewhere that the newer incompatible version does. There is no telling unless you know how to debug the program on the failing system.

After you posted this I grabbed one of the first OEM versions of Nero I ever got and it would not even finish installing. 5.5.2.3 I believe.

10. Tipstaff

Sorry for not getting back earlier. Just got off of working for a client the last 5 days straight (5 days.. or rather 60 hours, with 20 hours sleep.. total... time for bed).

Samsung is probably the only one that still ships that damn disc, even with their newest drives like the 183. It works.. most of the time, although I haven't installed in on an AMD based system, or 3rd party chipset based system yet (so far only Intel CPU/Chipset boards). However, with the 203 they've switched because the drive is 'Vista Ready', and Nero 6.6 isn't Vista Ready. I've yet to get one of the new drives, but my guess is it's either Sonic Record Now 9, or Nero 7 (7.5 to be exact). Reason being is that both have Lightscribe support, and both are Vista certified.

Dyre, you might want to download the trial version of Nero 7, and give it a try to see if you have the same problem.

11. Dyre Straits

Thanks for the suggestions.

As my system pretty much stays in a state of 'flux' due to reviews, I do need to have as little trouble as possible when installing programs and devices onto a new/fresh installation of Windows XP.

I've bought three of these DVD burners from Micro Center over the past year+ and, as anyone would rightly assume, figured that the latest CD included would be the most compatible one.

While we're on this subject: Does anyone actually use the InCD, and other apps included with the CD? On this last (successful) installation, I only installed the basic functions, not the Suite.

Cheers!

Thanks for all the feedback!

12. Tipstaff

I don't personally, but I do have clients that do. Most times they use it in conjunction with either Neros HD backup tool (which allows you to setup backup times and so fourth), or they use it with some other backup tool, either one that came with a program to do incremental backups, or something like Second Copy. Since InCD treats any blank CD int he drive as a 'virtual' hard drive, you can pretty much drag and drop anything to it as if you were copying from one drive to another. This is very useful if you are using something like Second Copy which allows you to setup times to copy information from one place to another.

Personally... it just gets in the way.