Nero Vista DirectX 9.0c

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Iria, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Iria

Iria New Member

Yes, Iria is emerging from the black hole of the News Forum :lol:

I installed Vista (finally) on my Dell Inspiron XPS M1710. Besides the fact that after running it and playing with hacks, etc. it's become obvious to me that that since very little hack-wise (registry edits, etc.) seems to have changed, this isn't the radical OS change Microsoft keeps pumping.

That said, it's a pain to reinstall all the apps ... but ... trying to install Nero 7.8.5.0 (which says it's Vista compatible) it wants to install DirectX 9.0c. Now, Nero Support says:

"There are some special files in our DirectX 9.0c version Nero 7 needs. Because of that you have to install our DirectX 9.0c version. Nevertheless this won´t downgrade your current DirectX 10 version."

Naturally I don't want to hose my Vista DirectX 10 with this install. Anyone know if these guys are blowing hot air or what?

2. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

No, they aren't blowing hot air. There should be a Direct X 9.0c update for April that you can apply. I've done both the Feb and April update without any ill effects on my Vista 64 Ultimate install.

3. Iria

Iria New Member

So, rather than using the DirectX 9.0c included in Nero I should install the latest redistributable (as in the one posted in the News forum)?

4. clicker666

clicker666 New Member

I don't see why you couldn't install both. I don't recall having to install 9.0c when I installed Nero on this machine though.

5. Iria

Iria New Member

Now, I'm confused. Above you say you didn't have to install 9.0c, but a couple of msgs above that you say:

6. Golbeze

Golbeze New Member

I think he means that Nero never asked him to install their version of DX9, but he has installed the latest redistributables from MS. Basically, before you try installing Nero install the latest redistributable first, then install Nero and see if it still asks you you install their DX9. It's likely that they're just simply using a later version of the redistibutable than what comes with Vista.

7. dipstick

dipstick New Member

You can't install an older version of DX. Every time you run the installer it will only update older files; if they are newer or the same, it wont do anything.
    Having said that, it's a good idea to stay up to date with the latest versions. The latest April release works fine on Vista and so will future releases. Check out the sys requirements at MS;)

8. Iria

Iria New Member

Yah, so here's what gets me. If it doesn't install anything, it should still say DirectX 10 to any program that asks. Shouldn't Nero still be ticked off (i.e., fail to install) cuz I don't have 9.0c?

9. Golbeze

Golbeze New Member

Actually, Vista has both DirectX 9 (which I think is actually called 9.0L, correct me if I'm wrong) and 10, so programs that look will actually find whatever they're programmed to look for. Installing the latest DX9 redistributable will update the DX9 on Vista, while leaving DX10 alone. Nero is simply asking to install a later redistributable than what comes with Vista. Programs will still see Vista's 9.0L as 9.0c. At least, that's the way I understand it, anyone feel free to correct me.

10. Iria

Iria New Member

Huh. That I had never heard of. But a little searching, and it looks like you're right. Thanks for the info.

11. mike2h

mike2h New Member

how is that vers of nero working for u iria?
    ive been using 6614 ever since.. well it came out. works great with what i do with it. but since im upgrading my wifes comp to vista(& mine down the road) i have to buy/obtain the newer vers of nero.

12. Iria

Iria New Member

I'll tell yah, the early versions of 7 were a pain, but the latest ones, I've had no issue with. I haven't yet reinstalled it since I upgraded to Vista; I plan to do that this weekend.

13. Golbeze

Golbeze New Member

Sure, no problem. :)

14. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy New Member

Has anyone else had the "another program is busy" error when starting a new burn project in Nero? I'm using the latest version and if I click "switch to" it opens the Windows Start button. I have to click 'retry' or ignore several times before the message goes away and it lets me continue with Nero, even though no other programs are running at the time...