Network issue

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Neshi, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

Not sure if it's a hardware problem, but I certainly hope you guys can help me out.

Yesterday I was playing an online game when suddenly I lost the connection and the network indicator in the right bottom of the screen told me I did not have internet access, but was connected to the network (it's wireless). I did not know what happened but I thought it was temporary.
    In the evening my flatmate came home and I still had no internet access, yet my flatmate did; so that ruled out a problem with the router.
    When running the diagnostic tool on the network connection it told me that I had to complete the log on process by opening the webbrowser, yet by doing so there is no option of logging on, let alone that I would know the username and password. I have logged into the router itself to see if anything was abnormal, it was not.
    Even by directly connecting my laptop to the router with a ethernet cable, I do connect to the network but without internet access and it says I have to complete the log on process.

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled the wireless driver to no avail.
    I am seriously unsure what the problem is. As far as I know, there is no log on process to complete and my computer is just refusing to connect to spite me.

Any ideas?

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Assuming that there is no hardware problem, there could be a problem with DHCP. I'd check the IP address of your network adapter (open Command Prompt and type ipconfig) and maybe try to assign one to it manually.

3. Neshi

hmmm, that might be an idea. I'll give it a go when I get home later today.

4. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I get that now and then. It tends to be few and far between but still annoying. Only ever happens to me on first boot, however.

Test #1:
    Code:
    ipconfig /release && ipconfig /flushdns && ipconfig /renew
    That unassigns a DHCP address, flushes the DNS resolver then requests DHCP again. If that fails try the next one.

Test #2:
    Disable the network adapter, wait a few seconds then re-enable.

If you have restarted your PC it should supersede both of the above. It may be worth assigning yourself a static IP to see if that makes a difference.

5. Neshi

well, restarting the router and restarting the computer did not do anything.

I think it was a server outage in our street though. A friend of mine living in the same street said she lost internet around the same time, and today it just magically returned. problem solved, but good to know what to do whenever something like this happens again.