Network Monitoring

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

We have filed a complaint against our ISP due to them enforcing a "data cap" on their advertised "unlimited" date plan. We've gotten "warnings" the past two months after YEARS of never having a problem. (And, yes, the ISP is Comcast!)

What we do want to check is to make sure that ONLY our own devices are making a connection to our router. Comcast has been making Xfinity WiFI available to nearly every nook and cranny of the area and my suspicion is that they can only do this by somehow piggy-backing on existing customers' routers throughout the vicinity. If that's so, then anyone who accesses Xfinity WiFi in the neighborhood could reasonably be getting their data assigned to the paying customer's account. Is this feasible?

I have access to our Router and have checked connected devices, reset the router and checked again.

But, what I need is something that can monitor each device's data and bandwidth use.

There is a free one called, NetWorx. Is anyone familiar with this? I'm keen to be cautious about this kind of freeware.

2. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

One possibility is GlassWire:

Alternatively, having a look at the DHCP clients should show if there are any unexpected devices.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

You can use Windows resource management to see the total amount of data used and when it is over the course of a fairly good period... one billion month is very easy to see.

Take the final numbers, add them between the machines... see if the total works out to what your ISP says you are using... The only issue is that you'll want to make certain that you don't have any other devices connected and using like your mobiles... not without using their internally built in monitor for the same period... (android comes with one that is handy and easy to use.)

4. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

We actually found the problem!!! It was one of the XBOXes...my son's, actually. He and my daughter-in-law had started installing CoD-BO3 and it was taking a very long time to install. So, they pulled the disc and started playing another game.

Well, when they pulled the disc that way, it did NOT stop the installation process and, apparently, it kept "calling home" in order to find the content needed. It must have been doing this for a few days!!! When he started checking bandwidth use, that one XBOX had used over 300 GBs and was eating it up fast! But, the installation process of the game was only at 21%.

I got in touch with Comcast support and was directed to call a specific department to address the situation. Once they knew what had happened, they have issued us a free pass on up to 1000 GBs for the rest of this month.

So, the moral of this is: If you start installing a game...FINISH it! Or, if you don't, at least issue a manual stop order so that it doesn't eat up bandwidth.

AND, in addition, we also found that Windows 10 has a very good bandwidth usage app included. Just go to Network & Internet. Under the big blue circle, click on Usage Details.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yup windows 10's resource monitor is quite good for data usage.... but in previous versions of windows the performance/resource monitor is about the only option.