Networking recommendations...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by azrael13302473, Jan 25, 2007.

1. azrael13302473

azrael13302473 New Member

Okay well i didnt know who to ask for suggestions so I came here I need some suggestions as to how I would setup a network for a small business. I mean I've set up networks before for lan parties (300+ computers) but never a business. What they basically want is to hook up around 100 computers, 2 servers, and 10 printers into a local network. They want the 2 servers to be reachable from the outside ( from the net) but they don't want the computers/printers to be reachable. As far as they're net connection they have a two cable lines I think, or maybe a fiber connection not sure. So what would you guys say would be good? Added security would be a definite plus also.

2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Thread's been moved from Off Topics to the appropriate forum.

3. azrael13302473

Ah sorry, totally missed the networking part after motherboards lol. Thanks

4. germanjulian

germanjulian Back in London

if you ask here and have no clue you will not be able to do it! nothing against you but its not that easy. it would take me weeks even though i have been in networking now for 9 months (acctually working full time in it).

you need a DMZ.
    hardware wise (at least) 2x firewalls, 7x switches or so, maybe 4 routers. i would recommend cisco and maybe for the DMZ (firewalls) or a VPN connection from the outside to the servers I would use Juniper products. (very good and easy to configure [still 100x harder to configure then your home firewall though]).

make sure you do it proper!!!

5. azrael13302473

Well I already actually have a few configurations set up but I was wondering what someone else might be using and compare cost/performance. As of now im looking at a price range of 2k-4k for a decent 96 port switch(alternative to use 48 port switches for about 1k less), hardware firewall/router and vpn devices from reliable namebrands (recommendations?). The thing is this is a pretty small local company so im trying to get it down to a solution that is as cheap as possible, without sacrificing too much performance/security. Now im also going to be working with a friend of mine whos had experience with business networks and cisco certified (CCIE) so hes going to be doing most of the configuration work so im not too concerned with that.

Ill also look into the juniper products, thanks for the suggestion.