New ATI Catalyst 3.10 Drivers are out Please Discuss Here

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by toddsmack2k, Dec 17, 2003.

1. @/2ct!<

@/2ct!< New Member

Any1 tried these or omegas with halo, and differeneces. I keep dreaming of a magical driver that makes Halo into a good port :D

2. Aretè

Aretè New Member

Im currently waiting for them to reply, i had to fill out a form then they send a reply back to me and tell me if i can send back or not, did tihs on friday, havent heard anything yet i am guessing it is because its the weekend. We will see what happens.

For the 9700 pro only reason it hooked up to hdd is cuz thats how setup shows it has to go and whenever i unplug it from harddrive i get an error at bootup saying no power to ati card or ati card not plugged in correctly please shutdown and check power cables.

Ram running at stock speeds as they have been since i got them and the radeon card i have never had a problem before so i dont suspect that to suddenly be a problem now.

I one usb device, which is my logitech mouse.

IRQ problem was one of first things checked off on the list, uninstalled card and moved it to slot 4 when problem first occured.

I appreciate all the comments and feedback im getting, its helping me wittle down to the problem while i wait for a reply to my rma status, thank you very much.

3. BWX

BWX get out and ride

Same here with DX IW- I guess I'll be dreaming for a while.

4. ToranagaSama

ToranagaSama New Member

SmartGart AGP setting is ALWAYS Off

Hello all,

AGP Settings, Set AGP Speed is "Off"; Current AGP Speed is "Off".

Nothing I do changes this setting. My MB supports 4X, but when I set SmartGart to 4X and click apply, I get the Restart popup, click OK, the system restarts and the settins is still set to Off.

Maybe I just need to get some sleep, but what gives? Is this the way its supposed to be?

Previously, I had the prior Omega Drivers loaded 2.94. I downloaded the exe and executed. Omega 2.5.04 is listed as the driver on the Adapter Tab. I did not uninstall the 2.94 drivers, installed over them.

Could it have some to do with this (cut from Readme):

"Setting the AGP speed to off no longer results in the AGP speed still being shown as enabled to 4x in the SMARTGART tab "

Win2000 SP4
    Abit KR7AR
    AMD XP 1800
    Radeon 9700 pro
    Direct X 9.0b
    1024 x 768 76Hz
    32 bpps AA 4x AF 8x
    JFYI, I unchecked, Alternate DVI operational mode, as I have a CRT.

Any help will be appreciated, thank you in advance.

5. amat

amat New Member

i'm using Powercolor 9600XT Bravo ( default memory clock @ 680 ) . i oc my card a few times using rage3d and no problems found. i pushed until 510/680.the thing is i want to look at the card temperature with the overdrive function since it is meant for 96/98 xt. but the overdrive tab is nowhere to be found. the same thing happened when i installed cat 3.9. if you hav any solution or a clue let me know...

thanx

6. simonsays

simonsays New Member

"For the 9700 pro only reason it hooked up to hdd is cuz thats how setup shows it has to go and whenever i unplug it from harddrive i get an error at bootup saying no power to ati card or ati card not plugged in correctly please shutdown and check power cables."

OOPS!!
    I thought that you would know that WE NEVER PLUG OR UNPLUG POWER FROM A DEVICE WHEN THE PC IS RUNNING OR EVEN IN STANDBY ??
    ALLWAYS shutdown and even better remove the AC plug when doiung stuff like that.
    WHEN ITS OFF...plug it into the other line/s (like the with cdrom's if they are on a seperate line).

Personaly i have a second (stripped down old 200w AT ) psu that i use for the vidcard,lights and fans (except the cpu fan) so my master psu works stress free.
    Of course this cant be done by everyone as it requires a little more space.

Hey if you can get a RMA that would be great so that even if it doesnt work you still eliminate one of the suspects.

7. simonsays

simonsays New Member

Re: SmartGart AGP setting is ALWAYS Off

In the motherboard bios is the agp4 selected correctly ???because if it isnt thers no way in hell that you can do it in windows via settings.

I checked out your mobo specs at ABIT and noticed that its a pretty old via-kt266 board with agp 2-4.
    Now some older via boards had an issue where the AGP4 wouldnt work correctly so if you cant get it to work via bios setting or a third party patch then you may want to find the latest bios for your board and flash it.
    Also try out the latest via 4in1 drivers and even some older versions too.

Also note that if the agp4 isnt really working you may have problems with the vidcard that NEEEDS either agp4 or 8 because all agp speeds come with a different voltage outpit setting and the older it gets the higher it goes.

Unless you are really using the raid feature of your mobo i suggest a new model with at least a kt400a chipset that has agp8 support(they are pretty cheap since even they are considered old these days) and one more plus is that your whole rig will be faster with the newer chipset.

8. ToranagaSama

ToranagaSama New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Please stop saying my board is *old*!! It was the hottest thing going when I bought it. :duh:

----

Yes, the bios settings are correct. AGP is set to 4X. Besides, it was all just find until I install the latest Omega drivers. Prior to that I had 2.94c, and Cat. 3.9, and now I've uninstalled the Omega and installed Cat. 3.10. Still the same. The following line in the readme makes me wonder, if the *fix* broke something else.

I'm going to uinstall 3.10 and re-install Omega 2.94c, which was working just fine, except for the occaisonal "hesitation" in HL2 which the 3.10 readme states as being fixed.

BTW, anyone, exactly how is the Omega "Clean Tool" supposed to work? I uinstalled thru Add/Remove, leaving the Setup files; rebooted into Safemode, clicked the Clean Tool executeable. The screen did a little blip and that was it. The readme running the Tool to click "Start". Is that the Start button? Anyway, I rebooted and Add/Removed the Omega setup files; then installed 3.10.

Not only is the StartGart AGP setting not work, but with both the Omega and the Cat, the screen has been a bit sluggish. I rebooted and check the bios settings, and now screen *seems* back to normal.

Well, last question, is there any problem installing a previous Omega version, 2.94c, over the latest Cat 3.10? Is it OK, to just remove the Control Panel and install? Or should I add/remove, use the clean tool, and add/remove the Setup files, and *then* install the old 2.94c?

Thanks again, in advance.

Oh yeah, I have the lastest bios and 4in1 drivers. Everything is uptodate as ususal. Memory is recall the whole AGP *voltage* issue. Ahhhh....my board isn't THAT old. :(

9. simonsays

simonsays New Member

Listen bro the "OLD" isnt meant to offend you.
    The point i was making is that "technologicly" speaking its a million years old compared to the latest boards/chipsets (kt333/kt400/400a/600/800/nForce/nForce2 (all these came AFTER your chipset)...see my point?
    The newer boards fully support the newer hardware that in turn support the lastest software..etc etc etc...

Also note:
    You can use the separate DriverCleaner found HERE

10. Perconte

Perconte New Member

Hello!

I've got the same Problem which ToranagaSama have got.

I can't activate the AGP, no idea why.
    In the past it never gave any problems.

My System:

Hercules ATI 9800Pro; 128MByte
    Intel Pentium 4c; 2400MHz (800MHz FSB)
    1024MByte DDR400 RAM (Dual Channel)
    ASUS P4C800, Intel 875P, 800MHz FSB

I hope someone can help me :confused:

Thank you :)

PS: Sorry about my worst english :dead:

11. Aretè

Aretè New Member

Lol i never said i unplugged anything, read it over again simon. Im not an idiot when it comes to dealing with computers i know my way around them, i was saying that there is no other way to hook up the video card cept for the way i had it, or else the comp doesnt boot up cuz i get an error message from the card. That is what i was saying, not that i was going back there and unlpugging ish while the comp was still running. I got a reply back and I am going to just RMA it, spending a straight week attemping to fix this problem is more than enough time to trouble shoot and ask questions, i wanna say thank you very much to everyone who put in their input i appreciate it. i look forward to paying it forward helping someone else out.

12. ToranagaSama

ToranagaSama New Member

simonsays, about my "old" board, I'm just joking. Thought the smileys would convey that. I appreciate your efforts greatly.

Though, the reason I get annoyed is exampled by the mis-focus upon the age of my board. Perhaps, I didn't convey accurately that everything was working fine previously.

Perconte, thank you for posting.

I haven't reverted back to the Omega 2.94c, as yet, but still plan too.

WCPUID reports: AGP Revisions 2.0 | Disabled

The issue is with BOTH Omega 2.54 and Cat 3.10. The StartGart AGP Slider Setting just won't stay "set"., and AGP is reported to be disabled.

13. simonsays

simonsays New Member

Well Arete.
    It is quite impossible to know anyones knowledge of PCs through the forum and i as Full time tech support have a "habbit" of responding in a manner so that even a kid could understand.
    Sometimes ppl get offended but its not really my fault as i am only trying to help and like i said above i CANT know what one knows or doesnt know about hardware.
    Ive seen some eery stuff lately like ppl pulling out ram while pc is running etc. and then saying "but it dont say in the manual we cant do that"...lol..ffs it doesnt say in our TV's manual that we cant get into the bathtub with it but do we ??..see my point?

So sorry if you were offended...cause it wasnt intentional..

Great that you got a reply for the R.M.A...and i seriously hope it works out...but dont forget to keep us in thr loop so we know what happened..;)

14. simonsays

simonsays New Member

Hi friend!

Question:..does the agp8x show up in your motherboard bios settings???...if so is it selected ??

Second: have you tried a clean driver installl??? htis done by entering in "safe mode" and using DRIVERCLEANER to clean out ATI files then on reboot installing a clean set of drivers.

Stupid question:...in your display settings /SMARTGART tab what do you see??...does agp8x exsist in there??
    If you select it does it stay after reboot??

Weird thing is that we both have the same chipset and i have never encountered such problems with my 9800pro so in guessing your problem is driver related by either Display driver or chipset driver.
    Have you downloaded and installed the latest INTEL drivers??

Go HERE and select your operating system and then download the latest "inf update"

The above applies to all ppl with similar issues on any motherboard/chipset.
    Allways check out your motherboards web-page for updates or patches before asking for help that may misdirect you.
    Most motherboards/chipsets have patches especially for AGP issues so allways make sure you have the latest set.

15. ToranagaSama

ToranagaSama New Member

If, like me, you are having issues with SmartGart and the AGP settings, perhaps this will solve the problem, Omegadrive offered this reply in the Omega forum:

It worked. I went to Via, got the latest, December, 2003, drivers and whalla.

simonsays , you were INDEED correct. I had a fairly recent versions of the 4in1 drivers, so I discounted it; that was a mistake, specifically in knowing that Via is a RAPID developer of its drivers. It was a sure bet that they'd have at least one new version.

Thank you.

16. simonsays

simonsays New Member

Glad to here it worked out for you..;)

Enjoy your gaming and have a merry christmas..

17. Veky

Veky Member

When are the 3.11 drivers scheduled?

18. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

around 4-6 weeks after the previous,depends on any delays or problems that might occur.

19. zanatose

zanatose New Member

Trouble with Smart Gart

Good day all.
    I have a dilema I would like some help with.

First I'll explain a bit.

I use a program called savepart to redo my machine. (install )

For those that know nothing of it...It is a small program that works like drive Image that takes a snap shot of your hard drive and uses that image to redo your PC.
    All programs installed get copied as-well so redoing your machine brings back your favorites, e-mail and all other stuff installed .at the time you make the image

Now for my problem..
    I am running A P4 P800 ASUS motherboard and a Radeon 9500 PRO video card.
    When I redo the machine using the program I have my 8x agp setting for my video card work fine.

If I install other video drivers (newer) I can not select any agp setting.

My questions are .....
    1 has anyone else heard of this or know how to adjust this to work with new drivers?
    2 IS my AGP running at the peak setting anyway?

I am sorry if this question was already asked ........but this forum is to big to read all the questions and answers.

Please feel free to drop me a note. Thanks
    Swift out

PS I know but I have no idea where he got the drivers that work. VIA? sorry dont know it

P4P800 ASUS M/B 800 FSB
    Intel 2.8 HT FSB clocked to 3.2 gig
    512/ 3300 DDR
    80 GIG HD
    Radeon 9500 PRO
    ATI TV WONDER
    DVD\CDRW

zanatose2@msn.com:D

20. Logla

Logla Well-Known Member

I doubt we'll ever see 3.11 drivers. They are more likely to be the Catalyst 4.xx drivers as the 3 or 4 denotes the year of release.