New ATI Catalyst 3.10 Drivers are out Please Discuss Here

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by toddsmack2k, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

also screen displayed incorrectly? =P

2. Datagg

Datagg Back To ATI

My benches have remained the same, but the quality of visuals seems much crisper and cleaner than last ATI driver. Plus the entire feel seems to be more fluid. I like the drivers, good job ATI . And to all have a safe and very merry xmas..

3. Esaz666

Esaz666 BeardHeaven

3.10s are a pretty good set of drivers, the improvements seem to be more about
    compatability and smoothness, I would like to see more improvements
    in performance but ATI are not GOD ( nearly ) , another quality release.
    dont forget that we have just had the COD hotfix drivers , so really there's
    not that much change. I dont know of any other graphics card company
    that have changed a driver just to get it working with 1 game properly.

thanks ATI, well done now give me 4.0 cats!!!!!!

Dont dis ATI if a game doesent run smoothly, dis programmers making games
    which are coded for Nvidia cards and dont stick to the standards.

:D

4. Dmac43

Dmac43 New Member

Hey guys, I just uninstalled the old 3.8 drivers and installed the 3.10 drivers... for the first time I used the ATI driver uninstaller instead of Spike's driver cleaner... At this time I'm sitting at a black screen, before the screen went black, there was all sorts of corruption wherever I moved the mouse on the desktop...

Hardware is 9700 pro running AGP 8x, standard clocks
    MSI KT4VL / XP2500
    DX9.0b
    1 GB memory
    480w tru power power supply...
    Win XP Pro
    all updates and drivers installed....

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing to no avail... gonna try to go back to 3.8s

Any Ideas ?

5. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Ahh might be more in the future;)
    Testing on 1.5G Celeron 256M Ram ..
    Radeon 9800 128 np
    core= 324 .. ram=290 (stock settings)

Cats 3.9:
    3Dmark1se .. sorry I no longer use a benchmark that doesn't recognize pixel shaders:evil:
    3Dmark3 : 4286
    Aquamark : 20163

and 3.10 (3.10 dated Dec 18th 03)
    3Dmark3 : 4283
    Aquamark : 20073

Last Driver set I Dled from ATI (Dec 9 /03)
    3DMark3 : 4682
    Aquamark : 20768

Might I make a point of noting that ATI is noted for its IQ and Stability ..
    If certain issues arise concerning compatability .. Then I hope ya guys don't mind shaving a few benchy numbers off your egos ;)

Only performance matters to me :w00t:

6. simonsays

simonsays New Member

One more thing:

DONT connect the vidcard via HDD voltage (not recomended) cause if the vidcard draws too much juice it may cause problems for the HDD/s.

The agp voltage is usually were the vdimm and vcore voltages are located in an AWARD bios.

Also do this: go to the controlpanel/sound&audio/audio tab/advanced and tune the hardware acceleration down a notch or two.(this helps in games mostly when the sound is using up too many resources (like in a heavy action scene ) and the game freezes or crashes the whole rig.

If you are using a separate sound card (pci) make sure its in slot 3 or 4 to rule out irq problems.

These type of crashes sometimes result from a USB device too.

BTW what timings are you using with your ram??? not "by SPD" i hope because some mobos tend to set ram incorrectly and the ram timings if too fast will cause alot of problems.

One more question: does it crash while benchmarking???
    Try a loop (3 - 4 times ) of 3dm2k3 or 2k1 and see if it does it again.

Dont worrie well figure this sucker out.;)

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

8. mainman

mainman Mr. Nobody

Ok people im currently using Omegas 3.9 is it worth it to update to the Official 3.10???

9. @/2ct!<

@/2ct!< New Member

hey mac , what drivers were you using when you had the higher performance than either .9 or .10, a beta maybe?

10. damiandimitri

damiandimitri New Member

any one having stutter in MOHAA??
    Not sure if it is the drivers...but i didn't have it before with the hotfix ones (hotfix drivers for CoD)

11. kelticknight

kelticknight DriverHeaven Knight

question,my graphic card temp runs arounds 46-53c,tryed zalman mod to cool g-card,case temp is between 25-30c.thinking of butting on panel oppisate graphic card in a hope of cooling down card better.when l had zalman mod with fan on it ,it stayed around47-49c,odd time it went to 54c during gaming,so took it off but back stock heatsink with fan.have 7 fans[80mmx80mm]have aexhaust fan at bottom of case on lowest pci slot to get rid of heat,fan on top to bring in clod air[80mmx80mm] will the fan lm thinking of installing on panel opppisite g-card.not into cooling by water water cooling as too many problems with it,is there a exhaust kit l can get that will cool it better than the way lm thinking of cooling it.any suggestions

12. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

at the moment the 3.10 are fine for me.

just been playing max payne 2 for the last half hour and is better than 3.9 cats.other games are a little better for me.

as always drivers are different for others so the choice is down to yourself.worth a try and if you don't like them you could always revert back to the 3.9 omegas.

13. MIG-31

don't know about that for now as i have not tested with 3.10's just yet.but i have always had a small stutter no matter what driver i use,but only at the time of the auto save on mohaa.

14. damiandimitri

damiandimitri New Member

ty for replying johnybravo

i will play wit the settings a bit more

15. MIG-31

thats ok m8.

we are all here to help you out as best as we can.

this ia a great forum here we all have respect for others and pride ourselves in the same in return.

16. Shadow Lady

Shadow Lady Avril Fan

not incorrect, 9600/9800 xt have temp sensors, so they both should be using overdrive without problems

17. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

Ahh then I stand corrected .. don't own one here .. YET lol:D
    Just didn't want to see a brother get frustrated for no reason;)

18. Crash Override

Crash Override Banned

First of all no one should touch running or unrunning hardware directly on the PCB like that. Sweating or not your body secretes oils that are highly conductive. Especially when the epidermal layers warm up.

Second you arent stealing any more voltage from the HD by using the FPC thats on the same line than if you were using an FPC thats on a different line. They all pull from the same power well ;)

Also with a decent CPU (anything above 1.5GHz) the sound shouldnt make any difference really unless its onboard in which case the sound will be a fairly consistent hit on the FPS not a jumping one.

Using "By SPD" settings pull the settings directly from the RAM. Those are the speeds that the manufacturer lists on its site that its supposed to run at. So that wouldnt cause an issue unless the memory is being overclocked.

Also I have never seen a standard USB device cause a crash in game. Most mice are usb. Lots of keyboards are USB. I have seen people that run external HD's, webcams, USB Cable Modems, mice, keyboards, and more on a system that is hosting a Neverwinter Nights session. All without a crash or restart for weeks or months at a time.

Arete have you tried seeing if you could RMA the card and get a new one? It could simple be that you have one that has issues and a new card is needed. I've seen it happen before.

19. deekey777

deekey777 Grünschnabel

Correct, but not with my Powercolor 9600 XT Ultra (http://www.power-color.com/r96a-c3t.htm) and I have no idea, why.

@amat: Did you try to overclock your 9600 XT(eg with Rage3D)? What is your best and stable result?

20. simonsays

simonsays New Member

"Using "By SPD" settings pull the settings directly from the RAM. Those are the speeds that the manufacturer lists on its site that its supposed to run at. So that wouldnt cause an issue unless the memory is being overclocked."

Sorry to have to correct you Crash but.
    Since i build alot of systems (part of my job) I have seen this problem...ALOT.
    Cause?...usually the bios fault and usually the "incorrect" settings are too fast for the ram causing instabilty.
    Example not more than 3 days ago on a intel gbf-865 mobo the ram was 2 sticks of Geil GD with factory timing recomendation(on a sticker on the ram) of 2.5-7-3-3 and the mobo "by spd" had set it to cas2 6-3-3 resulting in the ram not even booting up most of the time.
    ......................................................................................................................................

"Also with a decent CPU (anything above 1.5GHz) the sound shouldnt make any difference really unless its onboard in which case the sound will be a fairly consistent hit on the FPS not a jumping one"

The above is also questionable:
    In most forums we read that its NOT recomended to share the same line with the HDDs mtsly because in peak power draw of the card we have more unstable systems when the vidcard and HDD share the line and the problem goes away when they are seperated.......go figure.

........................................................................................................................................

"Also I have never seen a standard USB device cause a crash in game. Most mice are usb. Lots of keyboards are USB. I have seen people that run external HD's, webcams, USB Cable Modems, mice, keyboards, and more on a system that is hosting a Neverwinter Nights session. All without a crash or restart for weeks or months at a time"

Dude come on !!

I have a usb2 hdd (external) that does it all the time (usually some kind of time out) and i get a bsod.

USB is a very unstable connection (USB2 is alot worse) and i dont only mean standard input devices like mice and keys (though the logitechs have been responsible for a few crashes themselves).

Plus you are talking about YOUR system that is tweaked and sorta bug-free...but the majority of unexpirienced users have alot of problems where hardware is conserned.
    ...........................................................................................................................................

"First of all no one should touch running or unrunning hardware directly on the PCB like that. Sweating or not your body secretes oils that are highly conductive. Especially when the epidermal layers warm up."

On this i totaly agree but in all seriousness.....who follows the rules these days??
    I dont think that there is a 10% in the whole world that handles electronic components as they should be.
    And most of us hardware guys actually use our finger here and there to get a feel of the situation(exmpl. feeling heatsinks on ram/cpu/nb etc.)

Furthermore about the sound card suggestion that i wrote:
    The reduction of hardware support in audio settings DOES help and ive seen it in many situations (not mine alone but in dozens of others ive read about too).

It could be a sharing conflict,driver problem (soundcard) etc. who knows?...but it worked.

In my expirience over the years i found one thing to be true and that is that there are NO absolutes concerning hardware and you can never be sure about a solution even if in THEORY it says so.
    If all we depended on was theory my friend ...we would still be in the dark ages or even worse..afraid to travel the ocean in fear of falling off the edge of the world..hehe.

Damn dude ..that wasted my buzz..now i gotta go make me another drink

:p