New Build not recognizing videocard

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Neshi, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

So I have spent some time building my new desktop. But now I try to start it and while the light of pc activity blinks for a second, the fans start turning but then the system turns off again.

I will spend some time taking it apart and trying to start it part for part, but if any of you can point me toward the right direction with the symptoms I've described, that would be great.

EDIT:
    never mind, noob mistake. Forgot to connect the CPU power cable....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. Neshi

I've still got a bit of an issue. So the computer is starting up great and everything works, except my videocard is not being recognised. It doesn't even show up in the device manager.
    I've checked in the BIOS and the PCI slot is enabled and all that... But whenever I change from onboard video to my video card, I get no signal to my monitor.
    The fans are turning, so it is powered...

Anyone got any ideas?

3. Jac

Jac Well-Known Member

I suppose the extra power cables are connected.

I remember having similar issues with getting my system to see the dedicated video card and use that rather than the onbiard. Cant remember what I did to resolve it. Is there a way to disable onbaord graphics? I think I just shifted the card around various slots until the system saw it.

4. Neshi

I've only got the one slot. I will try re-seating it, see if that fixes it.
    I can't install drivers because the installer will scan my system and not see the card. I have disabled on board graphics, but that doesn't do anything. Connecting the dedicated videocard, like I said, will give no signal.

If reseating it does not work, I will try it in another computer to see if it works there.
    Also, I'm trying this with a VGA connection, lacking cables for HDMI and/or DVI.

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

VGA output vs the other options shouldn't keep the system from recognizing the card.

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Failed detection of a video card will usally always initialize the onboard..... typically most all systems will disable the onboard video if a video card is detected in any fashion, so you wouldn't have anything on your screen at all otherwise.

This usually indicates a video card failure, as even without the power connected to the card, there is power being sent through the pci-ex slot to power the initial components that will provide detection and quite often will cause a stop message that prevents booting stating "Connect power to video card" with more modern cards.

I'd try a different video card, borrow one, find another somewhere and plug it in... if it starts up, you know your video card is DOA, if it doesn't you know that your PCI-EX slot on the board is toast for some reason (DOA) in which case you'll be looking to RMA/Return for replacement RIGHT away.

And JUST a fyi, it's ultra ultra rare for the slot on the board to be the problem, so i'm leaning towards a failed video card.

7. Neshi

Thanks Judas, I'll try this.

Put my card in another computer, and it gets recognised no problem. So the problem lies either with seating it, or my pci slot is fucked.

Edit:
    Well, reseated it in my own case and lo and behold. It works.
    Talk about crying wolf.

I will set up windows with drivers and shit, then ill post some pics!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

sometimes one of the pins on the slot for whatever reason doesn't quite make contact.... then again I've ran into some self builders that DIDN'T pull the piece of stick that was ontop of the slot and jammed a card in there.. you have any idea how hard it is to pry a sticker out of a slot like that without mangling the little contacts?

9. WxMan1

WxMan1 Active Member

I was going to suggest that there was an issue with onboard GFX ASIC being enabled. On some boards those can be trully ornary. Glad to see you got it sorted. Good on you mondo.

Back in the day there was an issue with a batch of P3V4X mobo where there was styrofoam granulas in the AGP and/or PCI slots necessitating some compressed air to blow the stuff out. There is no styrofoam in the packing for mobos so who knows where that came from, huh?

The TUV4X I'm running has a quirk that whenever I remove the GFX card to re-lube the cooling fan, the machine POST beep-code: long - three short, i.e., video card not found / VRAM bad. I wiggle the card laterally in the AGP slot and it ends up booting just fine.

Now that you got 'er up and running, I'd suggest you investigate BIOS for the mobo and ensure you have the latest. Highly recommended to look into as most OEM out-of-the-box BIOS are not current at all (obsoleted by as many as 3 or more revisioning). If you not familiar with doing that, the recommendation is to research BIOS updating for you board, review all posts on help forums to discern any gotchya's that people have encountered. Especially if people begin complaining the latest one is all horked and whatnot and they're rolling to the previous version.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  10. Neshi

I'll check it out, but I don't see what a new bios could offer me. Will have to look at the changes