new build...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by comp_ali, Jan 5, 2010.

1. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

My i7 Rig ...

Thanks everyone
    :)
    I am too lazy to start a new thread , anyway I have settled on those
    1 $ = 5.5 le
    Cooler Master Elite ( No PSU ) 240 le
    INTEL CORE I7 920 2.66/8M/4.8GT/S - Soket1366 1680 le
    Kingston 2GB DDR3 bus 1333MHz CL9 x2 560 le
    SAMSUNG 23.6" 2494HS 16:9/DVI+HDMI/1920:1080 1160 le

However Antec 650 earthwatts isn't available now but according to the reseller it should be available within month , on the other hand these are the available PSU at the moment

OCZ StealthXStream 600W 480 le
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W 850 le
    Hec Cougar 750 800 le
    OCZ GameXStream 850W 850 le

Should I wait for Antec or pick one of those. Also any suggestion about the choices are welcome .

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  2. Mourgolikos

Mourgolikos Active Member

Re: We want you! - win an Asus 4870 X2 Top!

Nice setup comp_ali :) I feel jealous :taste:
    Why don't you go for triple channel ram? 3x1GB would be a good amount of memory.
    I like that monitor a lot ;)

For psu i would choose PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W because of this and this reasons. Also a friend of mine has it and he is absolutely satisfied.
    It will be more than enough for your power-hungry system ;)

3. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

Look at the Thermaltake V3 as case.

Also, PC Power Power & Cooling for PSU :)

4. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W would be my choice of the ones listed

5. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

That setup is looking mighty fine... You should be alright with the PC Power one, no personal experience with it though..

6. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

C Power & Cooling Silencer 750W

that's a nice power supply go for it :)

7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I would go for more memory. 2GB is just barely good now.

I am not a big fan of OCZ PSUs.

Are those the only brands available for you?

What CM Elite exactly is it? There are a few different models. The 4870X2 is a LONG card, don't forget it.

8. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Thanks everyone , I think I will go with PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750

@ Bluemac , I mean 2x2GB RAM .
    I don't know yet what model of CM elite but The available are 332 , 333 , 334. Don't know anyone will fit but I will pick up the larger.

9. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

Yeah you'll be running that ram in dual channel tho. Just make sure you can find more of that exact same RAM later when you decide to go triple channel and buy 1 of those.

CM elite 333 and 334 can fit the 4870x2 i think, i'm not sure about the 332.

10. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Thanks I will ask the reseller about the case as well. Maybe I would go tri channel from now .

11. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

comp, your choice of X58 processor means you should buy triple channel memory... 3 x 2GB sticks. If you were to drop back to P55 (which apparently is "old tech....") then dual channel would suit.

12. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Remember, comp_ali, you'll be running one long card very soon so make sure your case can handle 10 inches. That just sounds dirty in a way. You may want to check out the NZXT Beta if it is available. A cheap case with nice features.

I agree with the PC Power & Cooling PSU. They were bought by OCZ but luckily have kept up their quality control and build quality. Too bad Tobias basses didn't do the same when Gibson bought them. :(

Finally if you can spring for a triple channel memory kit I'd go for it. Do X58 board even give the option for dual channel? If so it wouldn't really be a bad thing since the IMC is on the processor die meaning you should still pump out some good bandwidth/latency numbers.

13. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Yes , I have an X58 MSI platinum (from DH Goty Awards 2008 :D ) . I was just trying to reduce costs by picking dual channel ram for the time being but I think it will be silly considering rams are the cheapest component.
    I have read some reviews about PC Power & Cooling PSU. 750watt but it seems there are many versions of the same model (Crossfire , nvidia edition , ...etc) some of them have 2x 8pin connectors while the ordinary one has only one , I don't think this is very important but to be future proof. Also Isn't going with Modular PSU better ( take less space , replaceable cable..etc) or it will just go fine.

14. Optix

Optix Slave To Technology

Hard to say what your future upgrades after this one will be so try to future proof as much as you can so take stock of what you may like to do in the future and think about if you will ever want to run a dual card setup. It's hard to future proof PSU's because of the type of connectors but I would say go with 2x6-pin connectors. You can also stick a 6-pin to 8-pin adapter on them. It doesn't look pretty but it works.

15. crowTrobot

crowTrobot Active Member

You could get one with high amps on the 12v rail (you need it for the 4870x2 anyway). That will be as much future proofing you can do on a power supply. Attachments will change over time but it will always have +12v, 5.5v, and won't really change much in the next 2 or 3 years, and you can just buy adapters for a buck or two (like IDE to 6-pin etc), plus its easy to replace/add to those plugs all you need is a needle or something to push the hook out and something to crimp into the plug.

modular is expensive, but if you don't mind taking time and managing the cables yourself with zipties or even tape you could save that cash and put it on a better non-modular PSU.

16. Trusteft

Well...if you are going to buy a much more powerful system 2-3? years from now, the PSU that you will buy now will have lost perhaps 20% of its efficiency, especially if you use it all the time (like I do). Then there is the normal wear and tear for its insides, would you want have your then new expensive system on a PSU that might decide to stop serving you?
    I wouldn't buy a PSU on what you might need down the line, at least if we are talking about 2+ years from now. I would buy the best quality PSU I could afford, but I wouldn't spend money on features I might not use for years.

17. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Sorry to push the triple channel thing but you should really not even consider dual channel for that motherboard... triple channel will outperform dual channel marginally. I think it is worth the little extra cost!

I installed a modular PSU last night for a friend and found little use of the modularity...we used all but 1 cable, and it looked messy with so many seperate cables coming from the PSU. Also it is more expensive.

18. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

That is also my opinion with a modular PSU if you have a lot of thing hooked up to it i.e. HDD, Optical drive ... then you are likely to use all the cables anyway ...so no saving of space anyway:uhoh:

19. Trusteft

I've been there. Don't you also feel a bit like an idiot if you were the one who insisted on buying a modular one? lol.

20. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Thanks for all the replies guys . Too bad I am having final exams throughout the next 4 weeks :annoyed: . That may delay my upgrade a bit :( . Hopefully the prices don't rise up after the exams because I know I am as usual. This upgrade is probably the biggest one ever in my life .