New CCC Poll

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by The_Neon_Cowboy, Sep 13, 2004.

?

Do you use the new ATI "CCC" or old Control Panel?

1. Yes, I installed it and I use it.

52 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. No, I uninstalled it and use the old Control Panel insted

61 vote(s)
    39.9%
  3. Havent installed it because of all the negative feedback

28 vote(s)
    18.3%
  4. Havent installed it , it uses .NET , Barf

12 vote(s)
    7.8%
  1. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

i honestly think this should have been released as a release candidit, that way those people bashing wont bash as bad as they are. i mean it was beta tested by a few people but no where near the millions of people on first release, often people were and are still haveing problems with it not running, or major bugs.

i feel the least of the worries are from it using .net or it being to big, or hogging memory (btw it doesnt hog memory at all, hell firefox hogs more memory than anything and i still use it, so do many others, and when firefox is hogging my memory my ati processes lower. but by no means do they get big in the first place.... i seen it at 37mb ONCE, only ONCE, it may rise now and then to around 20 now and then, but mostly when their isnt much memory being taken up...

basically a handy thing would be to run the control panel then close it, then run something that consumes a large majority of your memory, then let it idle for a while and close it. should make ur ati process smaller, tho thats just theory).

anyways, i use these drivers, i know they are being made to improve with every release, and thats one reason why RC should have been named. its not beta, tho enough people will try it out to smooth out the bugs which ati is doing the same thing, and less harsh feedback would have been given.

2. ronnn

ronnn New Member

Grew on me also. Works fine just like every driver update. Must be my computer is stable or something, because ATI drivers and such just work. :cool:

3. Rayder

Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

This is close enough to my reasoning to be quoted. Slow and clunky is the way I put it. Maybe when I upgrade to 1gig of RAM it will be worth it. Maybe when some special functionality gets added that won't exist in the old CP, then I'll switch to it. When ATI makes it where the old CP is no longer available or is missing too many special settings compared to CCC, I'll change to it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate the new CCC, I just don't see it as viable yet. After a few more refinements, it will be up to snuff and truly ready for public consumption.

4. ToxicDragon

ToxicDragon New Member

I'm curious as to what assumptions you are going to draw from small polls
    on english speaking forums . Remember ATI markets products in many countries .Many people speak no english but still have ATI products. Please give some thought before quoting figures.

Currently this poll shows 46% not using CCC , At Rage3D currently 73% not use CCC . If trend continues there is only 1 conclusion to draw .

:sigh:

5. LeanWolf

LeanWolf alpha male

i think you meant 46% using, at this post i get 43% using, that's 57% NOT using. ;)

6. classic_leon

classic_leon Well-Known Member

i can't get refresh rate 100HZ. 85Hz is the maximum.

7. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Same here...

8. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

The new ccc enabled features hat would be pacetakeing (many mounths) or even impossable with the "classic" control panel.

.Net is part of microsoft slated furture get used to it or use linux and mac (but of couse it can be ported to linux so better go mac to be safe)

The another thing Never say never :D , so i guess new fetures that you will want to use and "better performace" that in store is nothing you want?

I will but i'm just needing a basis for compairso before i start rattleing off what would be considerd as nonsence... I can say the poll is progressing as I assumed it would..

9. wk357mag

wk357mag Banned

Buggy, Bloated, Ram Sucking, CPU Hogging, Kiddie Crap!!

In my view point the only person that will benefit (maybe) is a Kid getting his first computer and installing an ATI card for the first time. But after a month of playing games, he will release that the "Mini Game" in the control panel isnt a real representation of what his *REAL* games will look like and in the end he will just have to figure out how he wants it set anyway.

The old CP does what we need, with out the NEW flair, but frankly, I would rather have more game fixxes and performance by taking the time AWAY from building this *Kiddie CP*, and re-investing it on game/bug fixxes and the better performance that comes with mature drivers.

Just my opinion here.

10. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Not from where i sit it isn't

The CCC has all the features of the old control panel, if you took the time to actually check out the product you should know that.

As I said above : The CCC has all the features of the old control panel, if you took the time to actually check out the product you should know that.

11. wk357mag

wk357mag Banned

Well if you had actually read my post, you would know what it was like FROM WERE I SIT.

If you dont like my opinion, well thats just tuff Sh*t.

I never said it didnt have all the same features, please dont pretend like I did say that. Learn to read and while your at it, dont be such an ass when others give THEIR opinion.

My point remains "its Buggy, Bloated, Ram Sucking, CPU Hogging, Kiddie Crap" do alittle reading and you will see the many bugs, the large ram/pf useage, cpu utilization and just open your eyes and you will see its kiddie crap.

I'm guess your reason for taking offense to my post is maybe your a kiddie?

12. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

its not bloated, what gives u that impression? thats the least.
    its definatly not ram hogging at all... what gives u that impression, did u do any tests? obviously not.

CPU HOGGIN, wtf, are u stoned, gimi some too... it takes some CPU to load the panel, and some cpu on load, thats it. when idle it doesnt take any up, u must have a pentium 1.4ghz or lower (ya i hate intel). :(

it may be buggy for some people, yes, yes it is, tho its improving alot, and faster than u might think.

kiddie crap, well thats your opinion, that indeed is, the the other stuff is not fact at all and far from it. is it kiddie crap cause it has a skin? ya ok whatever ur entitiled to that.

13. RIV@NVX

RIV@NVX Freedom is a feature.

I haven't tried it as it doesn't support my 8500. Once it does, I will give it a shot.

14. Mocca

Mocca Somewhere in time

Don't like it uses .net
    Write the CCC so it's not dependant on other programmes to run, make it simple, non-bloated and cut off all the eyecandy pr0n. - Then I'll use it.
    In other words I'm perfectly happy with the current "old" CP and I'd wish ATi would pay more attention to driver optimizations than an unstabile, .net-hugging and totally bloat pr0n CCC.

Yes, I know I can just use the old CP and I will - hope it's gonna be there for a looooong time and I hope ATi will continue work on the non-pr0n CP(the standard) aswell.

.net isn't part of windows and it's really a pain to have to install it and patch it endlessly for a CCC... Like I said before - I paid enough for my ATi card that I can expect a CP that simply just works. I don't wanna be "tricked" into installing .net just because it's "more convenient" for ATi to programme in it - It is really not my concern if it's easier, less costy or whatever to programme in .net as a retail buyer. I pay for stuf that works and shouldn't have to worry about if I get less options/tweaks/optimizations if i don't install .net - it's just supposed to work, simple.

IF ATi withdraws the old CP, so that only the .net version is avail at some point, I recon ATi is gonna take care of .net support aswell ? If it's gonna be a requirement for ATi cards to have .net installed when using a controlpanel, they better start supporting it(helpdesk etc).

I don't hate .net - tbh I really don't care about .net - I just don't wanna be "forced" into installing an environment, that is not yet part of a normal windows installation.

And please stop all the nonsense talk about "if you don't like .net you better move onto linux or mac, cause it's gonna get you sooner or later..." Moving to linux or mac doesn't solve anything - they don't run the games we play, the programmes we use etc, so the statement is pretty useless.

15. MindlessOath

MindlessOath New Member

what makes it bloated? do u have proof of that? what makes .net not worth using?

its not dependent on other programs other than getting .net framework, which is a good thing to have.

ALOT of users like the new styles of the control panel, and before it was released thats what everyone wanted.

its NOT a pain to install, windowsupdate.com does it for you quick and simple also additions, if ur TO LAZY then thats where u come in being hard.

its also being developed to work more with more comp-uters will less errors, a few here and their is fine from start, but its going to be faster fixes because of .net, something that would take a lot of time with the older langauges, compaired to .net

its also a requirement for SP1 to be installed, im sure people are still compaining about that :(

.net isnot an environement its just framework for the new coding standard in MS's suit of programming lanuges, we had visualstudio 6 and now we have visualstudio .net get with the game and upgrade, we all had to do it up to version 6 before, now we go onforward.

16. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

Sorry no personal attack intended.

As for your opinion, it's irevelant weather I like it or not. As for it being tough Sh*t, perhaps you should add some fiber to your diet, with any luck that should solve you're tough problem. I am not saying it is perfect or even close to it, but when I use it it uses very little ram or CPU cycles. I'm far from being a "kiddie" but I am a Super Mod here and if you continue to throw insults may I suggest you cart your ass to the Flame Warzone for that type of thing.

17. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  18. WarFlail

WarFlail New Member

Installed it, then uninstalled it in favour of the CP

Installed it, liked it, but after rebooting, couldn't get the CCC to open. The icon was on the system tray and the desktop, but I couldn't open it. Tried .NET 1.1 and also tried the 2.0 beta, but still after rebooting, CCC doesn't seem to be recognised by Windows.

I'm probably not doing something right - I upgraded to .NET 1.1 and then to 2.0 beta after installing the CCC, so maybe I went about this the wrong way around?

All I want from my graphics device are stability and performance, in that order. Right from Catalyst 3.0 to the current 4.9, stability has been a big problem for me, as some 3D games (Air Strike II, Doom 3) simply hang/freeze/lock-up in-game while sound effects and music continue to play. So until I get the stability bit sorted out, I'm not too concerned about performance tweaks that the CCC could offer me.

-=W=-

19. wk357mag

wk357mag Banned

You say there was no personal attack intended, but just the oposite is true. I mearly stated my opinion and you jumped all over me. THIS IS A PERSONAL ATTACK!

Now I'm really not sure why your not exsperiencing the same/similair effects ALOT of others are having, but I dont care why either. The FACTS remain, on my system (for me) It was peaking at OVER 100mb ram useage. Now you may have no issue with a CONTROL PANEL making use of this much system resources, but *I* do! CPU utilisation was extreamly high, yes during loading and during changes with in the CCC, but once again, for a CONTROL PANEL to peg the CPU 100% for even a few seconds, isnt something I would call advantagous. My latest games DONT hit the CPU that hard, why would I want a CONTROL PANEL to? You dont have to comment here, Just let it be known that *I* dont want this, so I can see a little Minnie Kiddie game in the CP.

Lets also take you scream NO-BLOAT, when its over four (4) times the size of the old CP, but in your own words >> "CCC has all the features of the old control panel" <<. I personally cant understand why you dont call this BLOAT, but it is!

So my point still stands ..... "its Buggy, Bloated, Ram Sucking, CPU Hogging, Kiddie Crap"

>> I'm far from being a "kiddie" but I am a Super Mod here and if you continue to throw insults may I suggest you cart your ass to the Flame Warzone <<

So your a MOD here, yet you jump all over people for giving there opinion in a thread entitiles "NEW CCC POLL", in which it seems forum members (me) should be giving their opinion by way of vote and posting details on their exsperiences. Yet you and MindlessOaf (no-doubt appropriatly self-named) jump me, and alude to me using illegal drugs, than asking me for some. THis is rude and unproffessional of you. Lets also keep in mind of the time line here, YOU started this attack on me!

Now I realize your an ATI fan boy, but is this really the way ATI would like this run? If so, your doing a great job.

Just so you know I love ATI and have owned cards since the Rage98 days and still continue so today, But I can accept others opinions with out jumping on them for stating their personal opinion in a poll that entices them to do so.

So if this has become a fascist regimen, were our opinions are a thing of the past, than please just make the polls have ONLY a #10 ranking, and no options to posts personal comments after. Think of all the work it will save you, YOU wont have to go around and tell people that a "Buggy, Bloated, Ram Sucking, CPU Hogging" proggie isnt Buggy, Bloated, Ram Sucking, CPU Hogging!

Anyway, since your a SUPER MOD, why dont you get some manners, or at least pretend like you got them!

edited for spelling

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  20. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

wk357mag, chill out and refrain from personal insults, I wont ask again.

Guys get back onto debating about CCC without the hostility and aggression im starting to see in this thread, unacceptable behaviour for this forum.