New CPU cooler needed...

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Cannyone, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

I'm looking to reconfigure my computers and it seems I'll need to get a new new CPU cooler. I currently am using a Zalman CNPS9700-LED to cool a Q9450, on an MSI P7N Diamond motherboard, and a Koolance Exos to cool a Q6600, on an Asus P5E motherboard. The Zalman, Q9450, MSI system is currently housed in a Cooler Master Stacker 830 case. And the Koolance, Q6600, Asus system is housed in a Cooler Master Elite (cheapo) case.

The Key is that I've decided to replace the cheapo case. Part of my reason for this is that I've installed high CFM fans (120mm) in this case to provide adequate motherboard cooling. That made that system run "loud", as in it sounds like a hovercraft when it runs.

The other "factor" that came into play is that I'm interested in the CoolIT Domino A.L.C. >> http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=691 , but it won't work with my CM Stacker 830 case. So I was interested in getting a Cooler Master 690 case. This case has nice cable management possibilities, should have some nice modding possibilities, and won't break the bank.

However, if I get that case I'll be forced to ditch the Koolance Exos. Now you may think that is a bad idea, but the Exos is rather noisy. My first question is: what should I get to replace the Exos? The best value solution seems to be something like an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. Yet I wonder if I wouldn't be better off just springing for the CoolIT unit right off the bat? I'm asking here because each of these products have been reviewed by this site, and I know that many of you have this equipment... well at least have that case, and/or that CPU Cooler.

Any Input would be appreciated!

2. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Why not get another Zalman? I'm running one of those too and i'm absolutely loving mine never caused me any trouble whatsoever. Even at full speed the Zalman's inaudible in my system (Over the other fans and 3850 lol).

You could also try looking for an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro, those are awesome for the price bracket.

3. PC_Inquisitor

PC_Inquisitor New Member

Maybe getting another Zalman... One quesion man, what temperatures are you getting wiht that Zalman and the Q9450 on idle and full load?

Thanks

4. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

The way I have the Zalman installed in the Stacker 830 case I can actually hear it at full tilt. But since I won't overclock the Q6600 CPU, I get the sense that I won't need quite that much cooling. The Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro is half the price and should provide excellent cooling at stock speeds, especially since I'll probably move that board into the Stacker 830 case, and put the SLI system into the "new" CM 690.

But if I get the CoolIT Domino A.L.C. then I'll have another orphaned CPU cooler sitting in the closet! :( Still my facination with water cooling may be a problem. I might be better off just using adequate, and reliable, air cooling. (Air cooling would be cheaper!)

5. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Sell it on ebay could get a few bucks for it

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

remember, air cooling is the least likely to fail form of cooling method

dont want to risk your hardware if you dont need to!

7. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

Hmmm.... I'm not sure. :uhoh:

Now that I come to think about it. The Yorkfield (Q9450) undoubtedly runs cooler than the Kentsfield (Q6600). I don't overclock nowdays because none of the software I use (mostly games) really suffers from a lack of performance. I guess that also means I really don't need water cooling. My guess is that by settling for an AC Freezer 7 Pro, and installing a full complement of quiet fans in the CM 690, I'll be satisfied. I'll even save myself some money that way... :)

8. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Just which EXOS are you using? I'm using an EXOS-2 cooling my 4800+ and 3870 X2. I also just also happen to be using using the CM 690 case. Now if you are using the original EXOS, I can see where it 'might' be a bit louder, but with the EXOS-2 my system is VERY quiet.

The CM 690 provides very good MB cooling in it's stock configuration. It is light years ahead of your current case in that respect, and doesn't really need a lot of extra highspeed (loud) fans to achieve that. If you are REALLY concerned you could always add an 80mm like one of these
    Newegg.com - SilenX IXP-52-14 80mm Case Fan - Case Fans
    Newegg.com - SilenX IXP-52-11 80mm Case Fan - Case Fans
    to pull heat off of the backside of the MB.

Also, if you are using the EXOS-2 or better, it is more than capable of cooling your CPU and GPU. WCing the GPU makes a tremendous difference in internal case temperature in most cases since almost all of the video cards pull cold air from outside the case and dump the hot aid inside. WCing the GPU eliminates that and a much cooler MB is the result. Even with the 3870 X2 which does exhaust to the outside, there was a significant decrease in internal temps when I added the Koolance cooler to it.

Unless you are running the original EXOS, I'd reconsider 'dumping' the EXOS.

Chris, I've been water cooling since shortly after Koolance released the original EXOS in 2002. I run my system(s) 24/7/365. I have NEVER had a leak of any sort. A properly setup WC system using well designed components is as reliable as any aircooled system, and actually requires less maintance. Even then, if someone is really paranoid about leaks, there are coolants available that are non-conductive to address that issue.

Unless you are talking about some of the 'frankensystem' WC solutions put together by people that 'think' they are some sort of WC guru, the 'reliability' argument is a myth.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  9. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

well... theres always the possibility of a pump failing on a heavily OCed system, even Laing pumps are seen to fail sometimes and unlike an air cooler, when a watercooling unit is down, there is hardly any heat capacitance in the block.

the thing about most "non-conductive" coolants is that they resemble distilled water in which if even the slightest amount of salt or any other mineral is in the water, it throws the non-conductive property of the coolant out the window...

sad thing is that you can't really tell how reliable a system is until it fails.

and.... my name REALLY is spelled with a "K" :D note, Kris

we really shouldn't turn this thread into a debate unless Cannyone actually is getting something out of it.

10. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

wow nice im also looking for a cooler to cool my Q6600 xD
    Maybe Asus [FONT=arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Silent Square EVO would do?
    [/SIZE][/FONT]

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Although the initial thread seems to have disappeared, someone from Yoyotech pointed out Benchmark Reviews quarterly review of CPU coolers HERE. The 2 that caught my eye were Xigmateks HDT-S1283 and HDT-S1284. The difference between them is that the 1284 has 4 heatpipes, while the 1283 has 3.

Why'd those 2 catch my eye? 2 reasons: 1) They both performed better than a lot of the more expensive ones on that list, and 2) they both cost 1/2 of what the others on that list do. I decided to grab the HDT-S1283 ($40 or so) along with the Crossbow bolt through kit ($15, and it replaces the Intel push-pin holder for a more secure design). The cooler is far better than the AC Freezer Pro 7 I usually sell ($25-30), or the Scythe's Mini Ninja ($35) which I previously had on it. All I can say is it was well worth getting.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  12. Cannyone

Cannyone New Member

Yes I like the CM 690 because it can be exceptionally cool without "loud" fans. I was going to get some Cooler Master 120mm fans for this purpose. And I do have an "Original Exos", where the 3 80mm fans are a tad noisy. This is also part of the reason why I'm concerned about the reliability of the pump in the unit. I got it in 2003 (it was the second of two I once had) and it's seen allot of use.

It's not just a matter of the pump failing. A water-cooling system, like the Koolance external units, can make other maintenance more difficult. But you are precisely correct about not not being able to "tell how reliable a system is until it fails." In this particular instance it's been fairly reliable, having lasted through 5 years of regular/heavy use. Still I don't want to risk it with my latest processors.

Thank you Sir! That is precisely the type of advice I wanted. I could pay $60+ for another CNPS-9700 but I don't want to do that atm. And since I'll be using it in a case that will be fairly well vented, I shouldn't have to worry about it not being the "absolute best" air cooler on the market.

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

BTW, do not grab the HDT-RSxxxx series (the Red Scorpion series). The differences between this and the regular S ones are that the RS series doesn't use copper heatpipes. They do perform pretty well, but the kicker is that these coolers are only $5-10 cheaper than their copper brothers.

If height is a problem you could look at their D series (HDT-Dxxxx). These are U shaped coolers. You will need the clearence for the heatsink/fan, so be aware of what's around the CPU that might get in the way.

14. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Yeah, since it's the original EXOS, your are probably making the right decision to quit using it.