New hard drive in Playstation 3 but it will not format?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by HardwareHeaven, Jun 28, 2008.

1. MamaChaos

MamaChaos New Member

ok so i ordered the new lense and replaced it and did another reformat and still the damn thing will not read discs what am i doing wrong????? do i neeed to just trash this one and buy a new one?

2. Spider-Nedd

Spider-Nedd New Member

Hi there, new on here, but found this thread to be very helpful... Of sorts. I have tried upgrading my ps3 hd but so far to very little avail. So swapped my original 80gb for a 320gb it was Sata and all that. Got to the next step, which was telling me I needed to get system update 4.40 so I downloaded that, put it in the correct files, PS3 - UPDATE - it seemed to update fine and that's where I'm at as now it seems to not be working. It just says on screen no signal found like when you don't have a hdmi cable or video cable plugged in. I've tried both types of cable and I'm now at a loss. If anyone has any help or ideas to offer I'm in need of them. Thank you.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It's possible that the video needs to be reset. Most times when you first boot up the PS3 from a factory reset (which in this case it technically is doing) it can default to composite video, and if you have your PS3 hooked up using HDMI it may not output video. So, 2 suggestions:

1) do a video safe mode boot of the PS3. To do that, turn off the PS3, hold down the power button until you hear 2 beeps (usually 5 seconds) which includes the beep when it powers on, and a second beep after that, then release the power button. This will reset the video, but just at note about this: sometimes it will reset it so it detects the cable connected, and it can get confused if you have more than one cable hooked up, so be sure to disconnect all video cable EXCEPT the one you want, be it HDMI or the default Sony connector (which would be the composite or component cable). On the flip side it can also force a reset that may only show video to the cable hooked up via the Sony connector (composite/component), meaning the HDMI cable won't work until you reboot the PS3 for a 2nd time.

or

2) hook up your PS3 using the standard cables the unit came with, that being the composite ones (yellow for video, red/white for audio), or the component ones (red, blue, green for video, red/white for audio).

Another suggestion would be to see if you can get into the service menu. To do this, power the PS3 off, hook up your PS3 controller to the PS3 using the USB charging cable, then hold down the power button like before until it powers off. Press and hold the power button again until you hear 2 consecutive beeps, the let go the power button (that means in total you should hear 3 beeps: the power on beep, then 2 quick beeps). If it works it will tell you to hit the PS button on the controller, go black for a few seconds, and then pop up the service menu. From the service menu you can pretty much do anything to the PS3, such restoring the OS and file system, and so fourth, plus redo the System Update.

4. Spider-Nedd

Spider-Nedd New Member

Thanks for the tips, however I've tried them both and it still won't find a signal to the tv, the ps turns on fine but it just won't find a signal. As I say it all seemed to be fine until the update 4.40 finished updating and then the problems hit. I've even tried using a different hdmi cable thinking that might be the issue. But still to no avail.

5. Erroneus

Erroneus Get off my lawn!

Did you try using the analog cable, which is included with a PS3? Maybe the HDMI port has a problem.

Also make sure you try another HDMI port on your TV.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

If it still doesn't work with the new drive, put the old one back just to make sure the system still works. If it does, start the upgrade again from the installation of the new drive.

What you want to do first is hook the new drive up to your computer, and delete any partitions you find on it. Essentially you want the drive as "clean" as it was when you first got it. Then once you install it into the PS3 it should ask to format it again, and you start the procedure from that point on. Also, as a precaution, I would re-download the 4.40 update (just in case it's corrupt/damaged), and if possible, put it onto a different USB flash drive.. or maybe format the USB flash drive you previously used (best to use a FAT32 formatting tools such as MiniAide Fat32 Formatter Home Edition, Fat32Formatter, or FAT32 Format). You might even be able (although I can't be 100% sure on this) to use the external hard drive that you used to backup your PS3.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
  7. Spider-Nedd

Spider-Nedd New Member

That seems to have worked, thanks for the help. Much appreciated!