New Laptop Time

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by cambrose, May 13, 2010.

1. cambrose

cambrose New Member

I'm getting ready to buy a laptop for law school, and am looking for some suggestions. I want a dedicated gfx card and want at least 4gb of ram, also can't go with a laptop bigger than 14". Dualcore processing is also a requirement.

I'm not looking at spending more than $1300USD.

I currently really like the HP DM3Z with the maxed processor and 4gb of ram.

If any has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.

2. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

3. cambrose

cambrose New Member

I'm looking for screens under 14"

4. Calliers

Sorry bout that, how bout Alienware's M11X??? The base model retails for around $800.00 and its got a dual core processor.

5. cambrose

cambrose New Member

I looked at the one too, but I think the HP is a better choice for the cost/performance.

6. Calliers

I once owned a dv2200 series laptop and yes, Hp's subnotebooks are well built. That DM3Z seems pretty solid but don't expect the graphics card to perform monumentally.

The Alienware has much better graphics and you can always upgrade the RAM on it. Just make sure you get the right RAM.

Edit : check to make sure you can upgrade the ram on the Alienware if you're going to get it first, I haven't been able to verify that, but if you cant, get the 4GB model above it if you can. That's the only sub 14'' gaming notebook I would recommend to anyone.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  7. cambrose

cambrose New Member

The most advanced thing I'll ever use it for will be Diablo 3, Wow: Cata, or Starcraft 2. The Alienware processor is only 1.3ghz c2d, which unnerves me. Also, the build quality is frankly a concern due to the face AW is now part of Dell.

8. Calliers

If you're going to spend money on a gaming laptop, you might as well buy one that will last you longer, in any case you never know, you might become more serious with your gaming. Also, the reports and reviews of the M11X so far seem to be pointing towards the fact it is reliable.

Maybe this guide might be of help to you:

Finding the right Laptop

--------------------------​

HH Alienware M11X Review - sorry I didn't add this sooner, it not only got a coveted gold award but also a performance award.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  9. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Here's a few things I looked for when I bought my laptop.

Go for DDR3. If you get a laptop now with DDR2 then you're going to feel like you just conned yourself; laptops come with DDR3 at an affordable price now so getting anything lower just doesn't seem all that worth it.
    Do some research on the graphics card. Intel has good performance graphics cards now but look to Nvidia and ATI. I found this website was a good help there - it helped me narrow down which graphics card I wanted to aim for for bang-for-buck and anything better in the same price-range would be fantastic, which I got.
    Be aware of the extras the laptop has. If it's got a built-in card reader and you're in this century, it's a bonus. If it's got a webcam and you don't like to strip-tease random strangers, it's not that special.
    The processor is the most arguable aspect now. You could go for AMD for the price tag, Core 2 Duo or Core i for the most modern version. At that budget, probably the Core i series for the power. If you can balance a good graphics card and 4GB DDR3 with that, you aced it.

I went with Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3 and an Nvidia 230M, 500GB HDD, DVD-RW drive and a gigabit LAN port. That was my best bang for the buck.

Calliers likes this.
  10. cambrose

cambrose New Member

I haven't found anything sub-14" with any core i procs in them. I have heard rumors that the M11x is going to go i in the near future, and I can hold out until probably 1 August to buy the thing. As far as gfx, I'll only go with a dedicated card from Nvidia or ATI.