NEW:Native AC'97 ASIO/WDM Driver (beta testers wanted)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Lex Nahumury, Dec 1, 2009.

1. StOrmCatz

StOrmCatz New Member

Indeed, after a bit of fiddling, I did notice that only 2 ASIO channels were supported. My default realtek drivers support AC3 passthrough, so I was thinking maybe I could combine the two. However, now that you have confirmed that it only supports 2 channels, and that the SPDIF is not supported, I guess I was a little ahead of myself.

You are correct, I am using a desktop.

I didn't really check that all my speakers were outputting, but there was definitely sound and that ASIO was being detected.

I am running an AMD Dual Core, so it appears it is not impossible for Intel and AMD to get a long after all. :D

2. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

Ok, I haven't been able to test the driver on a real multi proc system myself so this is good news:)
    Thanks.

3. Lex Nahumury

Update v1.005
    AC'97 ASIO Project
    - fixed ASIO wrong Input channel routing.
    - fixed ASIO wrong sample rate on some multi-channel codecs
    - fixed ASIO full-duplex sync issues on some machines
    - changed ASIO latency settings

4. Lex Nahumury

5. Lex Nahumury

Bug notification:

When an ASIO host application crashes,
    the driver may not always recover resulting in no sound system wide.
    Remedie; reboot
    (to be fixed soon)

6. Lex Nahumury

Update 1.006
    - fixed: If ASIO client crashed, driver might
    not recover causing no sound system wide.
    AC'97 ASIO Project

7. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Hi LeMury:

This is a nice project you have started. Onboard sound with native ASIO capabilities! Great!

AS you have mentioned you may be planing on starting a ASIO/WDM driver project that supports the newer Intel HD audio devices, you caught my interest. Pease keep us posted if you release such a driver for testing? It will certainly be useful for me.

Cya dear fellow. I sure miss you all and the good times we had here in this forum.

8. Lex Nahumury

Hi Thomas,

A few months ago I've completed a native ASIO/WDM driver for Intel HD Audio devices
    but it currently only supports the Realtek ALC272 codec (found on many netbooks).

However, due to the popularity of ASIO4ALL (and the widespread misconceptions about it)
    there's hardly any demand for a native ASIO/WDM driver solution so I dropped further development.
    Yeah, me too my friend,... The good old kX era:)

9. thomasabarnes

I see.

I never really got into using the ASIO4All driver. Maybe I should give it a shot.

Where I see ur native ASIO/WDM HD audio driver having a usefulness is with quick uses of my DAW software or in using standalone softsynth plug ins just for testing out patches when one has an outboard audio interface. It's really kind of irritating to me to have to power on my MOTU unit just to do something as simple as testing out patches. Having a driver such as you were develping helps to avoid that.

I have a Intel DX58SO mobo that uses a Realtek HD audio device driver. If you had released ur HD audio driver, I would have certainly tried it!

I'm yet curious to try it, so you could email the download link or driver to me at thomasabarnes at yahoo dot com if you want to.:D At least the work you put into the development will be appreciated by someone other than yourself.:w00t:

But don't feel presured my friend. I just love your work! And I kept a kX compatible soundcard just in case you make your Pro FX plug ins kX x64 driver compatible.:taste: I mean I have a MOTU UltraLite=mk3, the audio quailty and mic preamp quality exceeds that of any soundblaster card, and CueMix FX is really nice with routing flexibility, but I haven't seen any audio interface mixer software that is as powerful as the kX DSP's routing capability. Maybe RME's software is competitive, but I think you get my point.:cool:

Anyway, great to hear from you!

10. Lex Nahumury

Re: NEW:Native AC'97 ASIO/WDM Driver

Thomas,
    Your dx58so mobo has a Realtek ALC889 codec.
    Currently my HD Audio driver only supports the Realtec ALC272.

Asio4all should work just fine for your purposes.
    Don't compare it to any well written native ASIO driver though.
    It's latency performance isn't that good but probably good enough for testing your VST patches.

/Lex

11. thomasabarnes

Thanks for the info, LeMury.

OK, I'll give ASIO4All a try. But just because I love our times together in text chat, I hope to intercommunicate with you soon.:D

Cya around ole fellow.

12. robob

robob New Member

Hi,

First I would apologyse for my english, my french is better:oops:.

Are you always working on a "Intel HD ASIO/WDM Driver" and does the driver allow multi-channel output mapping (like the Asio foobar plugin) ?

I'm using a mother board with Realtek ALC889 chipset. this chipset have two spdif outputs (rear optical, onboard coaxial) and I use two external DAC (for quadraphonic output).

With Asio compatible software (like Foobar), I use ASIO4all and it works fine.

But i'm using a non-asio digital TV player : i think your driver would be a nice issue for all the non-asio software (ie iTunes).

13. Lex Nahumury

As I already mentioned here; http://www.hardwareheaven.com/audio...m-driver-beta-testers-wanted.html#post1361955,
    my HD Audio driver only supports the Realtec ALC272 and I've stopped further development.