New Netbooks with N470 can use 2GB of ram

Discussion in 'News Discussion' started by HardwareHeaven, Oct 26, 2009.

1. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Intel have informed their partners that after March 2010 they will be able to use more than a skimpy 1GB of ram in their netbooks. This will be made possible with the new N470, an improved Atom clocked at 1.83ghz which is due to launch in March next year.

The netbook is based on the Pine Trail-M Chipset platform and will be supplied with integrated graphics and the NM10 southbridge. The operating system Intel try to push is Linux, however manufactuers will assuredly opt for Windows based configurations - and with the 2GB of ram hopefully Windows 7 will be a viable and decent performing option.

The screen sizes will range between 7 and 10.2 inch and the batteries should be 4 cell versions, with some companies offering bulkier higher cell versions. Prices should be much in line with the Netbook market today, which as we know is competitive.

Allan Campbell: Heaven Media

2. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

Wait, I'm confused. Can't you already use 2GB of RAM in a netbook? Or is this saying that they can put the RAM into the computer stock?

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Well I had 2gb of ram in my own Asus netbook when I upgraded it months ago, but I would assume in some way this means they might ship with 2gb of ram onboard.

4. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am pretty sure my netbook can be upgraded to 2, but yeah what Z said.

Still, I don't think the amount of RAM was ever the issue with netbooks...

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Most netbooks ship with 1GB anyways, but this is an interesting situation. At first we saw netbooks being shipped with 1GB, upgradeable to 2GB, even Dells Mini 9 was, but then Dell started shipping their Mini 10 with 1GB of fixed ram, and those were not upgradeable. After that a bunch more netbooks started showing up with fixed amounts of ram, such as the MSI Wind U120. Why? You can thank Microsoft for this. From what I know this is a limitation imposed by Microsoft in order for manufacturers to use the new extended XP Home ULCPC license. Those who have an older netbook, or boxes based on an Atom will have an older XP Home license, but on these new Dell Minis and MSI Winds, they all have an XP Home ULCPC license.

Edit: That's not to say this is the norm. My Eee Box has an XP Home ULCPC license, but I can, and have upgraded my box to 2GB, and it sees it. It could be that now Intel is also imposing their own limitation now too, but I can't say for sure. It could also be that any new hardware "must" be designed with this new limitation in mind, or else Microsoft won't sell the license. That would account for older hardware being able to use the XP Home ULCPC license, but still be upgradeable, yet newer hardware that has that license isn't.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

My eee900 shipped with 1GB, but was upgradeable to 2Gb, just by popping off a cover on the bottom side.

The wife's Aspire One, however, shipped with 1GB, and to upgrade, you have to disassemble the danged thing. Even then, if I remember right, it will only see 1.5GB max.

I'll note that the eee900 has a Celeron processor, and the Aspire One has an Atom.

7. MitchRapp

MitchRapp a.k.a. pepiman

very odd
    my friend just bought a netbook and it came with 3gb (2 onboard, 1 chip)
    changed the 1gb chip to a 2gb ... now has 4gb and runs Windows 7 ... very quick

8. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Yeah, but then again you just hit it on the nose: it has a Windows 7 license.

The other thing is that it being a netbook doesn't mean it's restricted to 2GB, as it could be a non-Intel based Atom netbook. Atom based netbooks running an Intel chipset are restricted to 2GB, but with Atom based netbooks driven by the Nvidia Ion chipset, they can run up to 4GB. Same with the AMD Neo based netbooks too if I remember correctly.

Tyrsonswood likes this.