new Noise Gate plugin

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Russ, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

lol, ok, I see some settings that will cause it to act up, but so far nothing within settings that I think I would actually use for the audio at the time. I will have to keep testing, but under normal usage, I have not had any problems.

2. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

As is - its what I would call usable. I AM nit picking....

Just reporting the differences I see between this and what I have used before.

With HW gates Ive used - worste case scenario is breathing (no distortion/pops)
    (But I didnt think they had adjustable hold times either...so, Im starting to think your just allowing a lower hold time than what was 'hard wired' in units Ive used before..??)

With this - I can force a situation of pops/distortion. (with a hold of .0001 and carefull threshold settings)
    (I am convinced the distortions I was hearing were the pops in very fast succession- btw)

But, because we cant forsee ALL input signal conditions - forcing worst case scenarios quickly exposes any potential problems that *could* occur with a dynamic imput signal.

Yes - I can set this to work prperly for just about any situation, but there's room for the intermitant pops/distortion (those worst case scarios) that didnt exist in the HW units.

I'm prolly not articulating my thoughts well, and my drawing I tried making looked like a 5 year old made it so I wont even embarrass my self with it. And its late too...

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

lol, I know why it is doing that still. It is because I am using the attack counter with the release multiplier (and vice-versa), under those same conditions I mentioned previously. I guess under those paritculair conditions, I will have to swap the attack/release times completely, although that may cause other side effects as well.

In any case, it is like 4:30 am, so again, I need to get some sleep.
    I will think about it some more... and see if I can figure out what is up with the 3534f version.

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Clean guitar and TV -

Attack = .5 sec
    Release - .5 sec
    Hold = .0001

If I play with the thresholds I can cause the pops/distortion

on HW unit I can't cause those artifacts...

Again, I think its from allowing me to set such a low hold....

But I wouldnt expect this, as - the long attack & release *should* just cause a 'tremelo' effect if using the 50hz input signal you used for an example before... adjusting the thresholds *should* just change the character of the 'tremolo' effect - not cause pops...

Im not sure how else to put it.... sorry....

But - it does work MUCH better now...

5. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Oh...btw - bypassing worked fine for me...

6. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is when the ON threshold is failry high in respect to the signal level, and the OFF threshold is pretty close to ON. I will have to decide which is the better option to try and prevent that situation, but I also think I could live with it the way it is now, if the other options turn out to be worse.

That is with 3538j though, right? In any case, thanks for letting me know.

7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yes - with 3538J - bypass works fine...

8. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Its IMHO that this situation is not all that uncommon... for me anyway...

9. ReWired

ReWired New Member

10. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Russ:

Must have been some temporary problem. Bypass is working well, now.

I'll be using this plugin to mute my noise floor. It's working well for that. Just one thing, though.

Once when trying to bypass, kX Mixer crashed. Another time when trying to bypass, I got a message something to the effect that kX Debugger failed to initilize (I don't think I installed it (the kX Debugger) this time. I probably should, right?), and then kX Mixer crashed again.

I have been using the bypass on the right click menu repeatedly after the crashes. And, so far no more crashes. I will keep playing around with this plugin and report any problems.

Rewired:

Yeah, thanks for the link.

11. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

@thomasabarnes,
    A Noise Gate is generally used to remove the background noise, in-between the louder signals that you want to hear.

Take a look here.

@Maddogg6,
    I am curious as to why you use settings like that. I think more typical use, is to set the ON threshold close to the minimum signal level, and the OFF threshold somewhere below that, so that you maintain the full dynamic range of the signal (also, the higher the threshold, the more likelihood of popping/clicking or distortion, because the gate is ramped up in larger increments when it first turns on, etc.). In any case, I do need to make a correction with the stuff I mentioned previously, but other than than I think it is just a matter of using the right settings (the biggest factor (with popping/distortion), being the hold time).

One thing I was wondering about, is if maybe I am doing the attack wrong, and that maybe it should be completed regardless of the signal level. That would get rid off the problem with going almost directly from attack to release and vice-versa (but it would also increase the overall time the gate is ON, so I did not think that is right. i.e. With a slow attack rate, if you play a quick loud sound, and then nothing, the gate would be kept on while the attack finishes, as well as the hold and release times. I do not think that is right.).

I think your hardware gate, probably just uses some more advanced techniques, with look-ahead and all that stuff, and maybe automatically changes the hold time based on the other settings, etc. I don't know, I really do not know that much about it, I just threw this togther for fun, based on how I think it should work.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I am not sure what you mean by the kX Debugger?
    In any case, thanks for the update.

@ReWire,
    Please let me know if you have any problems with bypass, or anything else.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2006
  13. ReWired

ReWired New Member

no problems with bypass (from context menu) - 3534f, SB0102, WinXP SP2+.
    i am using 2 gates right now and so far bypassing works well

14. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, thanks.
    Let me know how you make out (i.e. if it works good for you, etc).

15. ReWired

ReWired New Member

so far i am testing it with noise only (input noise from low-level cheap mic, built in headphones set) - just to see if it works.
    will test it later with guitar

16. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Russ, I don't know what I mean either. If windows brings that error up again, I will quote it. LOL

Thanks for the link with the info Russ.

17. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

lol, I do not know of any kX Debugger, so I am not sure what that was about.
    Is the bypass button missing from the tweak window? or are you just doing it from the menu, so that you do not have to open the tweak window?

No problem, I had just happened across the link a few minutes earlier, and thought it had a pretty good explanation...

18. ReWired

ReWired New Member

there is NO buttons on the window:)
    only "close" and "minimize"

19. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ok, something is not right there. Are the sliders missing too?

20. ReWired

ReWired New Member

sliders are here.

but ...hm (from the first post):
    "above"? think it must be "below" in that text, isn't it?