new Noise Gate plugin

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Russ, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know what you mean. I read about it when reading about noise gates, as some use a side chain input for that (as well as for other purposes).

2. Lex Nahumury

Lex Nahumury DH Senior Member

Yep, side chain.
    Shouldn't be to hard to make.

3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I updated the 3538j version to 1.3.
    The code is completely re-written. It is similair to the previous versions except I modifed it such that when it is in release, if the level increases (above the off threshold, before the gate goes off), it goes into attack from the current level. This should stop the distortion, and the click associated with that. It should work better than the previous versions, but there will still be clicking if the hold time is set too low, in conjunction with some of the other settings (i.e. if the gate goes on/off rapidly).

BTW: It includes the stereo-linked version again as well.

4. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Not a single glitch - me thinks you have 100% now. Good work.

5. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Thanks for trying it out again.
    Next I will see about optimizing it a bit. Not so much the number of instructions, as I find that I run out of gpr resources, way before I run out of instruction resources, so I may actually increase the number of instructions a little, to free up some gprs.

6. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

No problem - just let me know and I'll run em through their paces. ;)

7. SUN

SUN New Member

Hi Lex,
    hi Russ,

@Lex: this "ducker" is the reason why i asked you in the past 4 the APS Compressor+ 4 the 3538f driver!

This trick with the side chain is a real good auto-talk-function!!!

Please don't forget your idea 4 this little Thingy!!! Hope you have the time 2 make this real... ;-)

SUN

8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Added 3538k version. Links in first post of this thread.

-Russ

9. totya

totya New Member

Hi, download link available? Here kX Stuff I dont see this plugin.

10. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Hmm, did you scroll down?
    It is there (listed as N-Gate v1.3).

Note: It may not be compatible with 3551 (and currently is only available for 32 bit version of kX), I have not had a chance to test anything with 3551.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  11. totya

totya New Member

Hi, thx for answer, my eyes is... thanx. I try, this plugin works with 3551 on win64, with Audigy 2 Value card, with x86 version mixer. The problem the settings... I want noise gate of microphone, what is the recommended values of attack/hold/release?

VolXt plugin works too. LMVol absolutly not work, freeze mixer x86, and recover possible only from mixer x64 (because not load x86 plugin).

12. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting me know that it works with 3551 (and for info about the other plugins (regarding LMVol, I do not know if it is even compatible with Vista/7 (i.e. I do not know if kX provides the necessary functionality in those OS's), so it could be that, or it could be related to 3551)).

As for the Noise Gate settings, it is hard to say, I have never used it myself with a MIC, and I would think it would depend somewhat on the properties of the MIC, and what you are recording (i.e. drums -vs- vocals, etc). You best bet is to probably do an internet search for common starting settings for what you are using it for, and then tweak it as necessary until you find a reliable setting, etc (maybe some other kX users (that do MIC recording, etc) can offer some suggestions).

BTW: You might also try the Dynamics Processor.

13. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

BTW: So 3551 64 bit includes both 32 bit and 64 bit mixer and DSP, etc?
    (If so,) Thats interesting. I wonder how that works....

Note: In such cases (i.e. mixer hanging or crashing because of bad plugin), you should be able to edit the registry to remove a plugin that is causing a problem, or tell kxmixer to use a different config file when starting up, etc. (i.e. kxmixer --shell --load-settings <config file>). You could also delete (or move) the plugin, and kxmixer should start (and maybe give error that it could not find the plugin, etc, but continue working, etc).

14. totya

totya New Member

Hi, thank you for your all answers! I use dynamics processor already, with built-in preset. Good idea built-in preset of Noise Gate plugin too, I think :) Okay, I know, I search preset...

My english is poor, but...
    After install 3551 I get these:
    Program Files\kX Project (64 bit version)
    Program Files (x86)\kX Project (32bit version)
    This is two different application.
    In "Program Files" directory, all files length is higher than files in "Program Files (x86) directory", I think this is mean, "Program Files" directory contains 64bit compiled files. On x64 version, I can't install x86 plugin.

The best way use x86 verison, but the life is not simple, example, I want use x86 plugin, example your VolXt.kxl.
    This plugin register and use possible only from x86 version. But, if I run x64 mixer version... this component (example vol4xt) disappear from my DSP. Okay, start x86 version... component too unavailable :( Reload saved dsp settings... nothing change. I add vol4xt (x86) plugin to DSP, mixer say:"error instantiating effect plugin Dou you wish unregister?"
    Need unregister this plugin, and register again. Shortly, at the moment, If the member use x86 plugin, good idea if never start x64 version :)

15. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Good to know, thanks for the info... I wonder what the difference is between the 32 bit mixer and 64 bit mixer (in audio quality (I wouldn't think there would be any difference here) and performance, etc.).

edit: BTW: I do not expect you to answer the above (it is not a question I am just thinking out loud)...

As for presets, anything I could add would just be basic settings, or settings copied from somewhere else...