New Omega Drivers for Win9x/ME v2.4.31a (06-01-02 Update)

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Omegadrive, May 13, 2002.

1. Omegadrive

Omegadrive Drivers? What Drivers???

Yep, they are ready to rock'n roll.

Fixed most of the issues encountered in the previous release (which was in kind of hurry), these are the details:

New (Omega 2.4.31a)
    * Updated the drivers with the new OpenGL ICD released by ATI, it should fix
    the SoF2 problem and boost OpenGL performance.

Old (Omega 2.4.31)
    * Fixed a setting that prevented turning OFF or ON the V-Sync.
    * Changed some settigs for PM support, now, when returning from sleep
    mode the card should wake up properly.
    * The D3D Control Panel is now installed by default along with the drivers.
    * Now the drivers will remove ANY tweaks in the registry for D3D, OpenGL and
    OpenGLPrivate (even custom-manually entered ones). There's no need now to
    remove previous settings manually or with a tweaker.
    * Modified the setup to give the user more install options and more control
    over the installation. Now the ATI driver installation will not run
    automatically after my drivers setup , but instead it will ask you
    if you want to run it.

Download and enjoy!

Any problems? Please post here ;)

2. Msm80

Msm80 New Member

Thanks Omegadrive. I will install them tonight.

3. Mystik

Mystik i'm an errand.

Hey OmegaDrive..

I've been wondering.. when using your drivers, I would experience extreme slowdowns
    in certain games (UT Engine Based, Serious Sam).. Apparently, my system doesn't
    like having a lot of registry entries enabled, or SOMETHING is slowing it down.. When
    i purge the registry (or used to, when I was using RadeonTweaker), everything
    becomes fast again..

Any clue why this would be happening?

In Serious Sam, it can be felt when you go underwater.. it starts chugging like a male
    giving birth.. o_O

For UT based games.. just the overall fps is low.

4. Omegadrive

The quantity of registry entries doesn't affect the performance of the drivers, those are commands that are executed before the application is run.
    Like I said some time ago, I have found a little bug that I haven't been able to tackle, but it happens so far with a "modified" overclocked BIOS, I haven't tested on a normal one, it's this:
    After the drivers install and restart, if you go directly into a game, it doesn't matter what game, the card will be run in the DEFAULT speed that originally came from the factory, and thus, will be slower.
    The only solution that I have found is this: after the drivers install and the restart, go into ATI's utilities and click on every TAB, but don't change anything (well, maybe the overlay and gamma if you need to), press OK to exit, then OK to exit again, now restart the PC and when Windows comes up again you'll have your full speed again.

I don't know if this applies to you, but just in case try it ;)

Good Luck!

5. Mystik

Mystik i'm an errand.

The thing was, my BIOS (using my original Radeon) wasn't modified.. And I figured that
    it was one of the tweaks that didn't seem to approve of it..

But I will try that tab-clicking solution when I get the time (and HD space) to reinstall
    those games that I remember were affected..

Thanks.

6. skinlab

skinlab Got Satan?

i got them and installed them, but i still havent tested out their gaming performance just caus im too lazy, i'll do that tomorrow

question: i noticed you can install an overclocking utility. i chose not to. question is, will it add a tab in the properties where u can move the sliders around and oc it like it was with the nvidia drivers, or does it install a whole seperate utility which will have to be run everytime windows starts (like rage3d's ocer, or like powerstrip). if it's like nvidia's where u dont even have to run anything to get the oc'ed speeds, that'd be great, i'd reinstall the drivers and enable that feature, it's just that i like to have minimal things running in the background, i only have exporer, systray and my mouse drivers, i dont like anything else.

anywho, long message, simple question, an answer would be great.

later

7. Mcrobrewer

Mcrobrewer New Member

I just installed them last night... They are pretty good... I have no problem running the compressed textures in UT and CS run well in Opengl....

I got about a 10% increase in UT when I ran a bench demo...

Mystik I have noticed with Omega's drivers that if I want to benchmark( I know I know it is not about Benchmarking) and I make sure vsync is off.. I always BM higher when I purge all of the registry settings and set the card basically to default... In all fairness I have noticed this with the official ATI drivers as well...

In terms of ingame performance... Omega's tweaks are excellent.

I actually still use Radeon Tweaker by Humus... but mostly just for purging the registry and for the memory recovery feature... I use unituner if I want to 'tune' my registry... :cool:

8. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

A couple of things new and different with these

I got a couple of questions:

1. What happened to the dropdown setting for the Adapter tab? This is the one where you could set the Refresh to either Adapter Default, or to Optimal. It's missing now. (However, my monitor still does 100 Hz at 1024x768 which is fine.)

2. What is the new Projector tab for in the Displays, Monitor settings? I'm a little puzzled as to why it shows up there.

Dyre Straits

9. Omegadrive

skinlab, the utility is a saparate program, it's not a slider tab, sorry, but it DOESN'T run in memory, just run it, set the speed and close. The only drawback is that is not permanent, so you have to manually adjust the speeds everytime the computer startups :( . I haven't found a stand alone overcloker that starts with the computer, adjusts the speeds and quits.

If any of you, the programmers of those Radeontweakers can help me here...

Dyre,
    1) That appears when the monitor drivers are correctly installed, re-install the monitor driver if it doesn't appear, then restart.
    2) I don't know either :rolleyes: , I just enabled it for fun :D, haven't tested it, don't have my 8500 right now, so I'm basically doing blind updates :p , I think it has to do with some funtions for the AIW users.

10. Dyre Straits

Thanks, Omegadrive!

It's been a while since a driver install necessitated that I also reinstall the monitor drivers. Anyway, that took care of the Adapter Default/Optimal issue.

Dyre Straits

11. Funkybuffalo

Funkybuffalo New Member

Hey Omega, great job. The framerate seems a little slower than the 30s with 16x ansio (I always use it) but the image quality is the BEST of any driver so far in my opinion. Very crisp and clean. Exactly why I like ATI over nVidia.

One question. I see in your bios FAQ that you recomend enabling Fastwrites. Sandra has Fastwrites as not enabled. How do you enable fastwrites with an 8500 or do you even recomend it at all?

Thank you in advance if you could answer my question and thank you for all your work. I have used nothing but Omega drivers since getting my 8500 retail. Oh, the extras with the 31s were a nice touch.

edit: I do have FW enabled in bios.

12. BigBear

BigBear New Member

Yikes! I've never reinstalled monitor drivers....um, how do you do that?

Also, I just noticed that Omega 2.4.30 still shows up in my Add/Remove list, even though I switched back to 1.4.21. Should I remove it...or....?

13. Dyre Straits

Re: Install Monitor Drivers

When installing Omegadrive's drivers, if you revert to an earlier version, you MUST answer NO to all the Version Conflict Popup screens. That forces the current installation into overwriting the newer files in the system. If you don't do this, you can conceivably end up with a real hodge-podge of files.

As for reinstalling Monitor drivers: Right click your Desktop and select Properties to get to the Display Properties screen. Click the Settings tab and then the Advanced button. Now click on the Monitor tab and then the Change button. From there, point to the drivers for your monitor. If you're really wanting the latest, check first with the WEB site for your manufacturer and get the latest drivers for it first.

Dyre Straits

14. BigBear

BigBear New Member

You mean, answering "no" to "You are replacing an existing file with an older version, do you want to keep the newer file?"

Yeah, I did that. Meaning, I told the install to load to load the older version of the files...

15. Dyre Straits

Re: Do you have two separate versions of the drivers showing?

I've never had it happen the way I understand you to mean. It may be that you need to run the install from Safemode. I have done that a few times....but LONG, LONG ago. This is sometimes done to assure that a file that needs to be overwritten can be, because Windows will prevent that from happening if a file is in use.

Dyre Straits

16. Omegadrive

Dyre, when a file is in use by Windows and the drivers need to replace it, Windows doesn't replace it at that time, it just puts it in a TEMP folder, and when you restart your computer, the file is replaced then, before Windows starts.

And yes, you should say that you DON'T want to KEEP the most recent files when updating with my drivers, Why?, because sometimes I use OLD files that FIX problems in more recent files...

17. BigBear

BigBear New Member

Well, I won't sweat it for now.

Just installed the 2.4.31's, gained 15-25% in Morrowind, everything is much smoother. Menus especially. I saved at a rest spot where I was pulling 34-37 sitting still. Loaded up the new drivers, and I was 52-56. Tested in Balmora where I as at 16-17, now 19-22.

Thanks, Omegadrive, excellent work. :)

BTW, I left off the utilities - I use Rage3d Tweak for oc'ing.

18. Dyre Straits

Re: Thanks for the clarification....

....but, isn't it possible that if something goes awry during an installation that the file that 'should' be replaced gets lost? I think this has happened to me on a few occasions which maybe what prompted the Safemode installation.
    Anyway, I'm pretty much 'stuck' on Omegadrive drivers. I get great performance from them with very few exceptions.

Dyre Straits

19. Dyre Straits

Problem with Freedom Force...

When I first installed Freedom Force a couple or three weeks ago, I had a problem with the screen going very dark on a regular basis. It was like the game went from daylight to playing in the dark.
    With the Omega (9030) version drivers, I don't recall the game doing that even one time.
    Now, after installing the new drivers based on 9031, I'm getting this problem about every 5 - 10 minutes. And this is after removing the check in W-Buffer in Direct3D settings.

Anyone else care to check it out?

Dyre Straits

PS I can do a Save and then Load that saved game and it returns to normal....for a while.

PPS In case it's important, I'm at the point in the game where I'm dealing with the destructive Mechanical Men that are tearing down the buildings in the city.

20. Omegadrive

Actually Dyre, that's a known bug in the game, at least for me it has always happen, I think the developers where going to release a patch for it, mostly occurs when passing the camera above a building and you character in on the street, well , that's when usually happens to me.
    Anyway, no need to save and load to fix the problem, just change resolutions or color depth, that will fix it for a while again. ;)