New Site Feedback Discussion Problem Reports

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Announcements' started by craig5320, Feb 20, 2008.

1. WhO_KnOwS

WhO_KnOwS The Knows Mister

The fonts I installed are not normaly part of the repositories. There is some jumping through hoops to get them up and running.

2. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

I tried everything I found in google, I have the Microsoft fonts installed but the front page still doesn't show up correctly... :(

3. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

Roy I think Peter is concerned about discussing this in public due to the fact the fonts are legally microsofts etc. Drop him a PM and im sure he will give you a helping hand.

4. RoyBatty

RoyBatty Well-Known Member

OK, I'll do that...

5. HardwareHeaven

Roy we are going to look into a way to do a OS identity check and change the font according to platform. This may be some time away so hopefully Peter can help you in the meantime.

6. IEMC

IEMC Neighborhood screw up.

Nice update. Looks great.

7. Huigie

Huigie New Member

I just removed DH from my standard bookmarks set. Do not like the way the site looks 1 bit, it shouts too much. There is too much info on the first page, no idea where to look first, totally not relaxed to the eyes.

8. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

Lovely crisp icons now (Serene), can easily tell the difference between new and old posts. I don't miss Skyheaven any more.

9. craig5320

craig5320 Well-Known Member

They're just for you matt.

CD's the username at the top "You are logged in as..." click your name it now goes to the UserCP.

More improvements/changes over the coming weeks stay tuned for your personailsed DH Experience :p

10. DesolateThought

DesolateThought New Member

I realize I don't post often, but this website has been my homepage for years.

The new page is just too cluttered and flashy for me. I have to search for what I'm looking for, and can't just read anymore. The Tech News portion of the website seems second hand now, and I've made an effort to just bookmark the sites that tend to show up on it and just individually check them now. I miss being able to pick an article and read through the previews down the page, as the new website seems overly focused on reviews and advertisements I'm not interested in. Not to say they might not be good, just that instead of reading the occasional one that catches my interest, they seem to be the main focus and I'm not interested in that.

I didn't realize that the central flash animation was a link to review articles, I thought it was an ad until just yesterday, and it just contributes to the wall of flash advertisements vibe the new website has with me. I can't comment on the forum since I rarely visit it, but the new layout just isn't for me >.<

11. HardwareHeaven

sorry to hear that. we are removing the flash review section shortly and will be replacing it with something that won't confuse some people.

Personally I didn't like the front page a while ago either but we have made some considerable changes in the last few days and its starting to shape up now. I think it will grow on people, we need to be able to present more information to our public, and yes the changes are meant to let the readers see our news and reviews/articles in a higher profile than outside news. I am aware people who are used to the old page won't maybe like that but it is something I was never happy with. Our own material needs to be higher priority.

For those of you news readers who like our "around the world" news posting, you can always bookmark the generalised news forum which presents the information much like it did before on the old front page..

It really is as easy as this http://www.driverheaven.net/news/

12. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

hey, thanks for that! much appreciated. :)

that's much easier than clicking on "forum" then "userCP".

13. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

Just like to add that the changes in the last few days have all been for the better. It's good to see the community have such a respected opinion on how they'd like the site to look.

After the initial shock the new site is definitely growing on me. Keep up the goodwork.

14. HardwareHeaven

Thanks Leli. As we said we really do listen to you guys and all the changes have been going on feedback. There are more to come shortly.

15. Chaos

Chaos Number Nine

the recent changes do seem to be making the change a bit easier to to navigate and less confusing

16. HardwareHeaven

Glad to hear it buddy. we have a few cool things coming up which should help usability. been a busy month thats for sure.

17. twixt

twixt New Member

Usability is annoying with new site layout

I find the new site layout confusing and cluttered. There is no logical consistency from pagetype to pagetype as to where to find control items, in comparison to the old layout.

IMO, much of the new forum layout is glitz, simply new menuicons replacing old. This often means I am distracted by new, rather than having new indicate a true improvement in functionality.

Bigger is NOT better. Using valuable screen real-estate for backgrounds and title-blocks with large graphical components - when I want to see a proper list of control and navigation items - leaves me cold.:hmm:

There is nothing wrong with "It ain't broke, don't fix it". Change for change's sake is a common tactic To attract attention - but savvy computer users know that "new" does NOT mean improved in this business, new in the vast majority of cases means BROKEN.

Please provide an option to return to the original screen layout. Monitoring the percentage of users adopting the new layout versus the old layout will be the most-accurate way of telling whether you are actually improving the user experience or simply monkeydiddling.

Thanks.

twixt

18. HardwareHeaven

Well thats really because its a new layout. Its not meant to be consistent with the old one. The old one had the forum controls mixed in with the non forum front page. We want them seperate especially for future ideas. We are also continually fixing and adding things as we go, so give it some time.

The forum is basically the same and Vbulletin have improved certain aspects such as you can get into forum subsections immediately without having to click to go into the forum then the subforum, not sure how its more glitzy, its basically the same.

The forum? or the front page? pretty vague. The front page has actually MORE information on it, much more and this was a common complaint, that we had too much information, not that we had less. so im pretty much stumped on this one. All the forum navigation is now in the forum not on the front page and we have easier access to reviews, information, news, other sites etc.

Very true, but we aren't building a PC here, we are moving the site forward in 2008 with the intention of giving more information in the same space and offering a lot of site navigation benefits such as moving to other reviews within reviews. We also have a tabbed design which means people can access double or triple the amount of information in the same box.

No. This is the way forward. The old design was extremely simplistic and fine for a small hobby site but not for an ever expanding network such as this. If we remain with the old site there is simply not enough options for us to accommodate expansion and more content.

No, thank you! I best get back to my monkeydiddling now ;)

19. Mousey

Mousey HH's Official Rodent

Somehow i don't think a user with 5 posts is entitled to bitch to the max about the new layout not being just as he likes it *rolls eyes*.
    It's great Z, nice work. :)

20. swimtech

swimtech Well-Known Member

Hey folks,
    As a heads up and an update this is what the Home Page looks like at the moment using IE6:

[​IMG]
    Shot at 2008-02-28

Hope this helps...