New system build hard drive choices and more

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by BiGBrOwNPimpsta, Jul 3, 2012.

1. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

BiGBrOwNPimpsta HH's #1 Hustla and Pimp

Oh I know Judas, thing is my ethernet driver wasn't even loading initially, hence why I used the DVD. I always throw them out (every IT guy knows lol!). However, my concern is will it do the same when I reformat next time? That I have to reload the drivers manually before begining?

Edit: specs edited (and my signature too since I had a new sound card for a while now). 6-cores with HT and 32GB is excessive, but ehhhhhhhh! I'll put up some pics later on to show it off.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

yeah you'll have to reload everytime until you move onto potentially windows 8

3. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

Lame... it was even the memory controllers and stuff.

4. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

Always a good idea to head to the various manufacturers websites and grab the latest drivers from there before a reinstall... you would for your GPU right? So why not the rest of the system... and the BIOS..?

5. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

I did, ASUS just doesn't have an easy multi pack since this is a number of stuff... I'll have to figure out a way in the future for faster updates.

Anyone have ideas on how to remove the DVD logos on my bezel? I tried nail polish remover but it start stripping the plastic a bit... I want a sleeker look those logos look ugly!

6. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

Here we are, finalized!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Try sanding it but be sure to take the cover off first if you can (without breaking it). You could also paint over it, apparently some people say it actually can look pretty cool after you do this. Using solvents as you said is tricky as you have to find something that can get the logo off without dissolving the plastic beneath it. Buying a "stealth bay" is another option, then moving the drive farther back so it opens through it.

Edit: you had asked how to remove the logos off the front of the DVD drives so the above is in reply to that! Btw, your system looks absolutely smashing, I love it. :)

8. Judas

imo unless your willing to ruin it and make it looks uglier by trying to remove those logos on the dvd-drive......don't touch them.. Short of perfectly sanding, sanded/scuffed/scratched or chemically remove draws attention to the non uniform appearance rather then making it look clean and neat

Btw you setup your SSD for caching?

My machine i frequently have to update... even on the systems that windows did have drivers for..... you MUST in order to properly setup the system.. install the latest proper drivers for the boards.

that includes memory/usb/chipset overall drivers.

Your main driver packages you need

Intel INF Update utility
    Intel Rapid Storage Technology (for x79 chipsets need the enterprise C600 RST)
    Realtek HD Audio Package
    Lan Driver
    USB 3.0 Driver
    And of course any other 3rd party SATA controllers if you actually have a use for them. HIGHLY recommend using the case's external SATA ports connected to the internet Intel ones with the bios setup so that the drives are considered "hot swappable" (aka enable hot swap support).

I slap these all on my USB drive... and prior to a format/reinstall.. i go to each manufacturers website... download the latest version (while deleting the old one on the drive so i don't confuse them potentially). That way i have everything all ready to roll.

Additionally i typically disable all the internet ports that either aren't connected or will never be connected... this includes serial/com/firewire/IDE controllers/parrelle ports and of course i disable the Asus Sata III SSD Caching system. I don't run with express gate.... no need for it.

9. Calliers

Calliers Administrator Staff Member

Judas could be right, either leave the logos on there and get used to them (they don't look that bad judging by the picture) or get a black stealth bay. Your choice.

10. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Have you tried contacting Corsair directly? From what I remember they used to offer the 5.25" optical bay covers for the case, or at least that's what a client of mine mentioned as he had the same "issue" with the case.

You could also mod the original covers for this purpose too. Seen a lot of mods for it, in fact.

11. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

Really... any links to the Corsair bays or mods?

BTW going back to my situation with the SSD, I am more strapped on primary drive storage rather than my other 2 drives. Now I'm ready to buy another Intel 520 next week for cheap, but I'm not clear on the RAID0 deal totally with Trim. You guys mentioned plug it into the Intel controller, and I should be solid? Shouldn't TRIM be easy to enable on RAID0 just in Windows? I checked and it already was under AHCI.

Also if I run RAID0, will my Marvel SATA3 controller need to run RAID0 as well? Or can that run seperately in AHCI? Or does Windows need RAID across all controllers?

I really don't know what the fuck to do with 32GB of ram, so I turned off my page file lol.

12. Tipstaff

TRIM will work on non-RAID SSDs when the controller is set to RAID, but as stated, if you try to RAID the SSDs, TRIM won't work on them.. at least not with the current Intel RST drivers (only the beta 11 series work.. some of them anyways). If you do use the beta drivers then TRIM is enabled only for RAID0 and non-RAID drives.

Shouldn't be an issue. I've run both RAID and AHCI on the Intel controller on my gaming rig, and have always left the Marvell controller set to AHCI. Haven't had an issue so far.

13. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

I have to use the Intel RST Enterprise edition, had some trouble setting it up but its ok.

14. Judas

yeah the x79 chipset uses a C600 Enterprise Rapid Storage Controller, the standard intel RST package is not supported.

I beleive the latest version is 3.1.0.1085..

Although i have tried.. the RST Betas do not support the C600 RST enterprise either.

15. BiGBrOwNPimpsta

16. Judas

clever ;)

17. Tipstaff

There's a couple stealth mods you can try. A friend did one in which he used the covers they sell for the Lian Li cases.. I think it was what they called a "Universal CD cover"... part number was something like 02, or C02... somethign like that. He had to mod the side pieces a bit, the part where it attaches to the case (cut, and the add a spacer), but it's looks pretty good. I saw another thread on Hardware Canucks where a guy did something similar, but with a different front bezel (looks more cleaner to be honest... more flush with the front).

I saw one thread where a guy completely pulled off the front covers of the optical drive (tray and bay), and made 1 complete mod using an existing cover. Took a lot of "thinning" out of the cover, but it looks so slick, as if it's a brand new case with no optical drives.