New to audio need a program

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Ferret_Style, Aug 13, 2007.

1. Ferret_Style

Ferret_Style Bouncing off the Walls

Ok all.... it has been a long dream of mine to try mixing music and was wondering what software most would recommend. I want to mix stuff with samples and mabye even try digital scratching. This is a dream and no idea if i will do well at it so cant cash out huge money until i decide it is something i want to persue. Any ideas of apps?

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

The major players for PC these days are Pro Tools, Cubase, Reason and Live

I'd suggest Ableton Live for what you want to do, the interface is pretty intuitive, I got a free version of the "Lite" edition with my protools setup and had no trouble getting it to work without reading the manual (though I do recommend you check out any quickstart guides or tutorials to begin with, as well as the demo songs).

Ableton Website

They have a Demo version there you can try out

3. ArtQuimia

ArtQuimia New Member

I do recommend you Tracktion by Mackie. the faster learning cuver and most profesional.....

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

i'd hardly call the mackie app the "most professional" but it's a good low-cost alternative to some of the powerhouse apps i mentioned earlier

here's the product site anyway Tracktion 3 Music Production Software may take your interest

5. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

dj_stick: MAGIX - Samplitude?

6. ArtQuimia

ArtQuimia New Member

dj_stick

Well, i dont want to start a discussion, but .... I work Professionally in Audio since 10 years and have saw all steps done in digital audio, By shure no high end studios uses Reason or Cubase, reason sound is awnfull, and this can be easily tested, cubase in its last version its almost the worst try of a pro tool that i ever saw, cubase and logic are things of past. Protools its not a bad "taperecorder" but to ear any substancial difference have to pay for HD hardware, a digi001 002 003 its not most efficiente than any Motu or RME system based. And i talk after try ALL those hardwares ans software, and also after been using in our Sound School.

Belive me we bet for Logic Audio in its 2.8 version, and we are using Tracktion Now, Its going to be the future.

An example of our last 24 tracks live recording with tracktion.... YouTube - Tabletom promo dvd 30 años de Rock (only 1 min and the audio its obiously not the final mix and so compressed but its only to show that its in use in PROFESSIONAL productions.

Sorry if i seem so rude, but its only cause i dont know english enough to be kind ( i know i speak almost as indians from western movies ).

I respect different recomendations, but if you think my recommendation isnt true, must have a acreditted opinion.... XDD

7. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

What about Sony SoundForge pro? Ive used that a few times for some general audio edits and whatnot worked pretty good.

8. ArtQuimia

ArtQuimia New Member

Sound forge its not a bad editor, but to us i got many problem writing registry, uninstalling, with the lot of stuff dx that install, and also its not as fast processing big archives and batching.

As editor I recommend WaveLab, the only software tool that Steingberg has ever done right....

9. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

ArtQuimia: i didn't mean any disrespect there, I'm a music industry - technical student myself

I've bene using Logic 5 for about 4 or 5 years, recently using Pro Tools 7 intensively, both at school and home, Logic 7.2 at school also, and will be buying logic 8 soon

i do like soundforge for "quick edits" when i can't be bothered going through bouncing in tools, and it's the only app i have that has batch processing. Unfortunately it doesn't have the best sound quality.

But back to the original topic, the OP wanted to try digital scratching,in additon to working with samples - basic recording apps, like soundforge/audacity etc, aren't capable of that.

thats why i suggested Live, seeing as that's probably the only app that should do what the OP is asking for - digital scrthcing is not something that's common in sequencers... usually reserved for "DJ: style apps like Traktor and Serato Scratch. I'll check out my version of Live 6 (Lite) tonight to see what it's capable of

10. ArtQuimia

ArtQuimia New Member

Well, must see tracktion it does, and so many people in your country using apple are crossing to tracktion..... for compatibility with pluggins,
    logic its going off, what they have done in 8 version its try to copy tracktion grafical environment, and it is having so many actualization problems with third party developers.......

Back to the topic, Live sound isnt good, and i dont mind if "richy flautins" use it.......