No audio from S/PDIF optical output on Realtek ALC1200 (MSI B550 mobo)

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by g502, Apr 20, 2021.

1. g502

g502 New Member

Hello all

I have an MSI B550M Mortar motherboard which has Realtek ALC1200 onboard audio. Currently running Windows 7 x64.

I'm trying to use the S/PDIF optical output with Logitech speakers but I'm not getting any sound output at all no matter what formats I test, or what settings I apply.

Additionally, I only see options for "2 channel" output formats whereas there should be 5.1 channel options too.

The speakers and optical cable are confirmed working with my old motherboard's onboard audio.

The Hardware Ids of the MSI B550M's ALC1200 audio device are:
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0B00&SUBSYS_1462EC94&REV_1000
    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0B00&SUBSYS_1462EC94

Things I have already tried:
    • Latest "Univeral" Realtek audio drivers from their site (R2.82)
    • Older Realtek drivers which worked with an Asus motherboard (R2.80)
    • Drivers from a different MSI motherboard with similar onboard audio for Windows 7 (driver v6.0.1.8619)
    • Drivers from a totally different mobo (Asrock) which uses the same chip as mine (driver v6.0.9132.1) -- in this case, the driver package contains the exact same hardware ID string as mine so it *should* definitely be compatible

An extremely helpful driver modder has been trying to help me on a Techpowerup forum thread but so far I've had no success. I discovered a discussion thread about the ALC1200 on this forum from 2008 (!) so I thought I would ask here as well because people here seem very knowledgeable.

I'll try anything at this stage - I've wasted a whole day trying to make this work.

Any suggestions are very welcome.

Thanks.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there is a chance your mainboard is faulty.

I will say though that 5.1 over optical from within windows has mostly neutered, it's considered legacy, certainly windows 7 would support it but the driver level support has been backtracked, you might need to install realtek's 2.6x or 2.7x driver. Bitstreaming is about the only way to get 5.1 but only from an audio playback of 5.1 (such as playing a AC3/DTS based movie that allows selecting that format).

Things started falling apart for optical/coax 5.1 back in 2014/2015 when functional support for it was dwindling and no one seemed interested in fixing the problems associated, which for the most part seems to be DRM related as well.

Basically these days, if you don't use HDMI for multi channel output, you're limited to multi channel analog via the 3.5mm analog jacks.

I used to heavily use optical on my computer for ages until well completely falling through in 2017 i believe. I relied on Dolby Digital Live! or DTS-Connect to get endless 5.1 optical output. The factor involved for this is that Both those technologies agreements and licenses ran out and realtek nor windows are allowed to "enable it". My 3930k system with a P9X79 Pro for example had dts-connect and 2017, the thing simply disappeared even when running windows 7 and an older driver.

3. g502

g502 New Member

I wondered if the board might be faulty. I don't see a red light coming from the optical port or cable as I did with my old Asus motherboard. I might try replacing the board.

Should I look for a board with any particular onboard audio which might play more nicely with Windows 7?

My old board, for example, had Realtek ALC1150 onboard audio and it did work 100% with 5.1 audio via optical, however only after applying a driver patch to enable Dolby Digital Live or DTS Interactive (search Techpowerup thread 249140). I guess the patch re-enables the features for which the licence expired as you explained.

I'll try downgrading the Realtek driver, then if that doesn't work I guess I'll look for a replacement board with different onboard optical audio if one is even available.

4. Judas

if you can't get any audio at all from the optical, i'd say it's definitely faulty and a new board is required.

5. g502

g502 New Member

Cheers. Will RMA it and update in 1-2 weeks.

6. g502

g502 New Member

Dyre Straits likes this.
  7. Judas

great to hear