No audio with dvd's in media player 11

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by drivehard454, Jun 6, 2007.

1. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

This may be in the wrong section, so if it is can an administrator place in the correct location?

I try to play a dvd with media player 11. I do not get any sound. When I go to music and videos, I get sound. I cannot figure out what the deal is.

Also, my sound works for everything else.

Also, for some reason, when I put an original dvd in to play, I get and error that says I need a plug in to view or my video card needs to be updated. But when I burn a copy of that dvd it will play fine(still with no sound).

Any ideas? Thanks for the help in advance.

2. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Is the audio on that DVD in PCM or AC3 form??
    I know that WMP can't playback ac3 sound without correct codec or filter. Like AC3 Filter. And usually WMP needs 3rd party DVD decoder software to be installed. For DVD playback I strongly recommend to use other software than WMP. So here's my ideas about this issue I hope it helps you. :)

3. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Thanks for the ideas.

Though I find it very odd. I have always been able to play DVD's on WMP. That is until I recently installed a new XP. I never had WMP 11 though, like I have now. But the WMP 10 played just fine.

How do I check for AC3 and PCM sound? Why would I need a plug-in now, when I did not need it on my other WMP versions? And why does it play video after I burn the DVD and not play the original at all?

Also, is there a free plug-in I can use if that is what I really need?

Thanks

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Well before you reinstalled windows you might had that ac3 codec installed. You should be able to see the formats from left clinking the movie and selecting properties. From there you should see the what codecs are being used.
    I personally use AC3 filter. You can get it here: AC3 Filter download @ free-codecs.com

[EDIT] Just looked some stuff at MS site and found this : link hope that gives some inside how WMP need some plug-ins to play DVD.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  5. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

Thanks temeteus, I will check into it and post my findings.

6. drivehard454

drivehard454 New Member

I downloaded the AC3 plug-in and now I have sound and it will play DVDs. But the quality is poor on some movies and on some the screen skips around, the movie is not smooth at all. It Jerks around whenever the is movement. What could be causing this now?

Does this have something to do with my GFX?

Thanks

7. Teme

Teme Super Moderator

Those issues might be because the mpeg-2 video decoder is using CPU to decode the video and the same time the AC3Filter is decoding the sound. And usually WMP don't use hw acceleration in mpeg-2 video decoding so all works is done by your CPU. My recommendation is to get other DVD player and look if you have the same issues with it too.