No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by MIG-31, Aug 12, 2016.

1. MIG-31

MIG-31 Old time Member.. Staff Member

Sean Murray tweets a reminder that the PC edition of No Man's Sky will launch today. This tweet says this will be a 2.6 GB download, but that preloads are not available. Finally, he offers a schedule of when the game will unlock in various regions. Correcting his use of Standard Time, the game's global launch should come at 1:00 pm EDT. To pave the way, a post on the No Man's Sky website discusses issues players are encountering in the space exploration game. These apply to the already released PS4 edition, but many of the workarounds they offer will apply to today's PC release as well. Here's word on how they are ramping up support along with some temporary fixes:

Here are some things to be aware of:

• We’ve brought a new QA team on board today (larger than the entire Hello Games team!). This will complement the existing Sony QA team.
    • We are working on fixes for the most critical issues, which will be in a patch in the near future.
    • We will be moving to a ticketed support system next week, and have hired someone to manage this starting Monday.
    • Some information will be posted in the Sony forums here http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Games-Services/bd-p/22190
    • Or contact Hello Games here http://www.no-mans-sky.com/support/
    Workarounds

Here are some workarounds for some known issues:

• If you believe you are stuck, or can’t reach your ship, be aware you can jetpack forever whilst pushing against any surface
    • If you have made a mistake – you can revert to any of your two previous saves in the Options Menu
    • If you have left your ship somewhere inaccessible, you will be able to summon it from landing pads or beacons found at most buildings or points of interest (marked by question marks)
    Source: Bluesnews.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I am so tempted to get this game (GOG). Half of me wants it very much, the other half of me says to wait.

3. Trusteft

And all my desire to get the game went out of the window. It looks like the PC version is another Batman Arkham Knight PC.

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I've played for an hour, and I haven't had it crash yet, and all the complaint I've read about... I haven't had one of them. It does require a decent PC to run though, and it took a bit to get the settings right to have it run smooth, even on my machine. The thing that I was appalled by was the default settings the game loads with (the game doesn't do any sort of optimisation at first start up) AND that the cursor controls in the menu act just like they do on the PS4 (you have to select the option with the cursor, and hold it down to... load/cycle it.. nice effect, but cumbersome). They've basically carried over the interaction animation into the menus, which is just not needed. Again.. cumbersome.

Speaking of graphics, personally I think they need a bit of tweaking. Specifically, I think the textures need a bump in resolution. Graphically it doesn't look very sharp. Beautiful, but not sharp.

Edit: For anyone here playing it, try borderless window mode. For one it allows you to use alt-tab again, but it seems to increase framerates for some people. Plus changing the frame rate setting to Max, or something close to your monitors Hz rate should kick the speed up. Oh, and if you are like me, and have a gaming monitor that has a higher refresh rate (mine is 144hz), try setting the frame rate to 90 instead. It's weird. While I can run it set to max my buddy can't. The key difference is we don't have the same monitor.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  5. Trusteft

I got the game, GOG. There are issues alright.
    The two I have are:
    1)a weird hiccup/stuttering every few seconds. Almost like a server lag. I am not playing online though...Otherwise the framerate is great, but this is a killer for the game.
    2) The graphics are on the 640x480 upscaled to 1080p variety. It reminded the first time I played Outcast, only obviously not as "bad".

6. Trusteft

Do not buy this game.
    I used a "fps fix" (basically forcing gsync off in the settings file) and plugging in my xbone controller. The hiccup/stuttering seems to be gone for the most part.
    This is not the bad news, the bad news is I find it addictive. I can't stop playing. I forced myself to quit after over 2 hours.

7. Tipstaff

That "fps fix" that Truseft is referring to:
    • Go to : C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\No Man's Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS or wherever you installed the game to.
    • Find the file "TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML" and open it with any text editor.
    • Look for the line about "GSync", and if it's set to "true" change it to "false".

8. Trusteft

I am scared to go back to the game. I don't know if I will be able to stop playing if I do.

9. Tipstaff

Big tip: Scan EVERYTHING!

All that time I spent on the starter planet, only scanning life forms, and not realising I should be scanning the objects I'm foraging too. A few thousand in lost credits there.

10. Tipstaff

Someone slapped up a SweetFX config for the game. Until someone puts out sharper textures... this will have to do. There's 2 versions: a "sharper" version, and a "sharper reshaded" version. The latter is very very colourful and bright, so I've opted for the former. I've uploaded some image to Imgur for comparison HERE.

Trusteft likes this.
  11. Trusteft

I am against mods, of any level, I will wait a patch or two and then perhaps I will consider it. Thank you though. :)