No More Free GPR Registers??

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by Michael Berg, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

Hi.
    I want to add another element to my very simple DSP but I'm getting a message "No More Free GPR Registers".
    How can I get more?
    Thanks,
    Mick Berg.

2. peate

peate Active Member

This is limited by the type of card you have. Audigy can load way more plug-ins than the the Live card. The only way is to remove elements to make room. Some plug-ins are way more resource hungry, like reverbs for example.

3. Michael Berg

Michael Berg Member

Hi.
    Thanks for the reply.
    But its strange, I previously had a much more complicated DSP on the actual same card (a Live) and didn't have this issue. I do have a reverb in there that I can unload. I'll try it.
    Thanks,
    Mick.

4. X172

X172 Audio Hobbyist

Yes, I encounter this trouble at times. Sometimes I have wanted to load more than the maximum allowance, and that's just one of the hardware limitations of the cards we use with kX. Other times, unnecessary or redundant effects can be Unloaded/Untranslated to make room. Furthermore, enough delay or reverb effects can consume much of the card's memory.

And yeah, different cards have different capacities, though I don't know what. My Audigy 2 ZS has 512 GPRs (a generous amount for me). The top of the DSP has a convenient indicator displaying a card's capacity and keeping track of GPRs and RAM currently consumed.

Also, a tip. These UFX plugins seem to have been coded with efficient use of resources in mind. Examples, an EQ Peaking uses 18 GPRs while the UFX EQ P1 uses 13 while providing nine types of filters, an EQ P5 uses less resources than five separate filters, and GainX uses 4 less GPRs than a GainHQ. There's some more, too.
    So, if that sounds useful?:
    (I think it requires a PC restart after installation.) http://www.hardwareheaven.com/community/threads/plugins-in-uniform-ufx.9923/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2014