no multipayer for DOOM III

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by konvict, May 15, 2003.

1. konvict

konvict New Member

Doom III has no multiplayer

Special report E3

TheInquirer.Net
    By Burt Carver: Thursday 15 May 2003, 17:43

JOHN CARMACK, for those who have been living under a virtual rock for the past several years, is the co-founder of id Software, creators of such benchmark games as Doom, Quake, and Return to Castle Wolfenstien.
    Today John spoke at E3 about Doom 3, one of the most anticipated titles this year and gaming development in general. Some of the more interesting points he discussed revolved around the "Golden Point" of graphics. He feels that the current generation of graphics cards can do anything an artist can dream up. Unfortunately, the physics and simulation technology has not kept up with the pace of the graphics market.

In the case of Doom 3, this has resulted in very little interaction with objects. John Carmack felt that the realism of the graphics and the game in general would be negatively affected by the inadequate physical models currently available. In other words, each item to be interacted with has to be individually assigned attributes, including interior structure, interior textures et al in case someone decides to break it.

In other games with a deformable/destructible environment the graphic technology was not in place so the modeling was much easier. In older games a plain-jane texture could be applied to the box, it could split into several chunks and dissipate into the air, and that was acceptable to the gamer as previously shot bodies disappeared, blood did not spray and the list goes on. Because of the realistic nature of Doom 3 (and I saw a preview video. Hold onto your hats.) id decided to leave anything out that would detract from the overall game. First to go? Multiplayer.

Because of the nature of multiplayer games, where individuals have to be able to traverse a map in any direction, often times level designers make several changes to enhance the multiplayer experience. With Doom 3, because of the workflow, an artist would create a room and it would take a week and a half to program. Any changes to the room would require reworking so id chose the economical route.

Another scary fact about Doom 3? It has consumed over 60 man years of development time. So long garage coders. Development costs have gone through the roof, with no end in sight.

On a side note, John chatted briefly about the X-prize (link to xprize site) project he is working on. His company is Armadillo Aerospace, and is competing for the X-prize. Apparently the X-prize project is consuming loads of his time. No wonder the game is delayed. µ

2. digitalwanderer

digitalwanderer Colour Commentator

Screw Doom3!

I'm done waiting for that over-hyped piece of bloatware that Johnny-boy is playing favorites with, it's gonna be yesterdays news after Half-life2 is released. (No, I'm not bitter...NOT AT ALL! :mad: :mad: :mad: )

3. konvict

konvict New Member

LOL - I know what you mean. I didn't expect it to be multiplayer anyway. I've had the Alpha and Beta and, while impressed with the lighting, shadows, highly detailed textures, frightening atmosphere, ok ok, it was pretty damn nice. But you are right. Way Too Much Hype! I honestly don't think this game will live up to the hype. They should have kept it a Classified Secret, under codename: Mood III, lol, then sprang it up on E3.

4. craig588

craig588 Banned

WHOA, YOU HAD A BETA OF DOOMIII!!!!!!???? Whats it like, better performance than the alpha?

5. konvict

konvict New Member

Honestly, the only difference I noticed was on the Alpha, I had to run 800x600 and shadows still slowed it down pretty good.

On the beta, however, I could run 1024x768 with shadows on at a decent framerate ~45fps. Also, the guy at the end of the first level doesn't just sit there and stare at the wall, lol, he attacks!!

6. EvilTypeGuy

EvilTypeGuy New Member

It's odd that your posting this, because I've heard Carmack quoted that there *will* be multiplayer, it will just be very basic and imited, basically enough for people to do mods and stuff with, but nothing like the Quake series had.

7. craig588

craig588 Banned

That was probably back when the game was being disigned, but now that the acctuall work is being done on it he realises that its not possible.

8. EvilTypeGuy

EvilTypeGuy New Member

I don't believe this article after all. Only about a week or so ago in a gamespot interview with Tim Willits, he's quoted as saying this:

"GS: We all know that the focus is on Doom III's single-player component, but tell us what the current multiplayer plans are and where they stand right now.

TW: Our focus hasn't changed--we're putting all our resources into developing an unbelievable single-player experience. We will, however, include a multiplayer component that includes game types like deathmatch and last man standing. There is nothing more visceral than competing against another human player, particularly in a first-person game. However, this experience is going to be very different from something like Quake III Arena. Doom III multiplayer is incredibly intense, and the light and shadows play a much bigger role in the gameplay. Never before in a multiplayer game have players had to worry about their shadow and whether or not it has revealed their position, or been able to shoot out lights so they can hide in the darkness. This alone adds a level of reality, depth, and atmosphere that is again going to redefine expectations about how a multiplayer game should look and feel. "

So I believe that there will be a multiplayer component. I don't think they would have abruptly changed their stance on this so suddenly.

9. TheDarkHorizon

TheDarkHorizon New Member

That is from theinquirer.net. They even mistake RTCW as an iD game. Although, I'm pretty sure I heard before this that Doom III would be single player due to it's intense graphics. It could have just been a rumor though.

10. craig588

craig588 Banned

wha? RTCW is an ID game.

11. Dom

Dom New Member

Runs on Q3 engine. So does Battlefield 1942, Soldier of Fortune 2, and the Medal of Honor series'.

12. tek

tek New Member

I never like Doom... never liked Half-Life.. I jus don like those ghey games where you shoot friggin monsters that prolly never exist.

13. El_Coyote

El_Coyote New Member

1st person horror shooters like doom has their time... i'd like something new or something thats less explored.

14. maGu

maGu New Member

is bf1942 really based on q3 engine.. i don't thinks so.. because it sometimes runs really crappy :p

15. konvict

konvict New Member

yes, based on the Q3 engine, and poorly coded. Especially the AI and online scripting.

16. craig588

craig588 Banned

Wow, all of this time I belived that RTCW was co-produced by ID. I have no clue BF1942 was on Q3, it runs like crap and is really buggy, I even thought it ran on D3D. At least it has good gameplay. SOF2 and MOH:AA are easy to tell.

17. digerati

digerati Everyones life has worth

If any of you have played Daikatana you will know poor coding lol

18. mbeeston

mbeeston New Member

bf1942 is not on a q3 engine

19. Maxblade

Maxblade New Member

That sucks..

20. Sufu

Sufu New Member

I will still buy the game even without multiplayer. Im not very fond of multiplayer FPS's etherway, looking foward to a story to follow in single player.