No plans to cut PS3 price says Sony

Discussion in 'Gaming News Discussion' started by Vikingod, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Vikingod

Vikingod Int'l Fish Liaison

Source: GamesIndustry

The rumours emerged following an advertisement from US retailer Circuit City which indicated that SCEA was to cut USD 100 off the price of the console. An official announcement was expected next week at the E3 Media and Business Summit.

But according to Bloomberg, Chubachi has said there are "no immediate plans as of now" to reduce the price.

2. Iria

Iria New Member

No immediate plans. Maybe this'll change on July 11th at their E3 press conference. :lol:

3. EcPercy

EcPercy Well-Known Member

I would laugh my ass off if they came out and said something like "PS3 is worth more, you are not paying enough and now the price will be $700 and you will like it"

4. Mazuko

Mazuko Well-Known Member

The joys of marketing, I wouldn't be surprised if they told circuit city they were going to do that an then changed their minds after CC printed their ads. On the other hand it could have simply been a misprint by CC which has happened coutless times.

5. Brutality

Brutality Active Member

Just a marketing trick. They release false information, everyone will discuss it and PS3 will gain 1 or 2 more fame points.

6. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

More likely they are trying to take advantage of the problems that MS is having with the 360. They can say seomthing like "our consoles don't lock up like Microsoft's, they should lower their price for their inferioir product." They'd be right with that, but they are wrong if they think that sales are going to take off without a bump.

7. SFOSOK

SFOSOK 939 Goin Strong

PS3 = inferior product

8. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Would anyone really be surprised if they did this?

9. interspaced

interspaced New Member

They were forced to release it too early. Not everyone has high definition tvs. Heck in the UK they're desperately trying to get everyone to move to digital let alone high definition. This is probably one of the reasons the ps2 is selling so well. It's cheap with a large game library and you don't need expensive tv to enjoy the full benifits.
    So in conclusion the ps3 is a bit ahead of its time. The blu ray components are what make the thing so expensive, but it's not as if they had much of choice since any further delays would allow microsoft to get too big a foothold in the console market. That and they want blu ray to be the high definition format of choice.

10. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

They should of had the blu-ray portion be an add-on just like the 360. Sony could of easily price matched the 360. I imagine most folks would of upgraded to the new console then w/ that choice of 360 or PS3. If what you're saying is true quite a few PS2 owners still have a SDTV.

Choice is the word here. People want choice, and don't want a company deciding what is best for them. Since there is a choice right now is why HD media is a cheap as it is. If it were only Blu-Ray we'd be paying $40-50 a pop for each movie.

11. interspaced

interspaced New Member

It was expensive when dvd came out it as new technology prices will always be high. The fact is you want a format in which you can obtain whatever movie you want from any studio. At the moment neither format offers this. Maybe if all studios released on both formats I would sympathise more with.
    However the current situation should not go on you would have to shell out money for both formats to access films from all movie studios.

Something has to change we're fine with dvd. Sometimes less choice is better as there will be no confusion and gurrenteed access to whatever movies you desire. Sadly it isn't the case and i hope the war ends sooner rather than later just to end the uncertainty in the market.

Edit: so in conclusion in my view people do want chocie in terms of what moives they want to watch not deciding over what format has my favourite movies.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  12. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

13. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

No plans to cut PS3 price, says Sony - but until you do i have no intention of buying one

14. HardwareHeaven

HardwareHeaven Administrator Staff Member

It is certainly not in the context he was referring to, that being build quality. The PS3 is really well made now, the 360 isn't. Ill be jumping on an Elite when they come out over here. ive had 3 360's RMA'd already.

15. interspaced

interspaced New Member

even the elites have been failing i don't think we'll see change until the new 65nm chipsets are released.

16. Yousaif

Yousaif Allergic to WiFi

17. mike2h

mike2h New Member

i say bullshit. most problems with 360 are heat realated.. nuff' said.

18. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

nah its true the towel trick works we did it to my m8ts after his started doing the red light thing and it seemed to cure it

19. mike2h

mike2h New Member

to funny. bad news for ms though, means they got other major problems besides heat.
    i cant think of anything were enclosing a piece of electronics like that 'fixes' a problem:duh: weird.