No SpeedTest Upload since Windows Update

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

Ever since the latest Windows Update, we have not been able to successfully run the speed test applications. The downloads for us are quite acceptable.

But, we can sit and watch for several minutes while the "Preparing Upload" session sits there without any action.

Has anyone else noticed this? And, more importantly, has anyone found exactly what was in the updates that has caused this? I'm suspicious of the Security Updates that were rolled out.

2. -Mr.Fridge

-Mr.Fridge DriverHeaven's Fridge

I happends in my work place too...
    It has something to do with the firewall and/or router.
    first, try turning off windows firewall - you don't need it any way (It for paranoid people...) and than try the speedtest again.
    if the problem persists, there is a section inside Speedtest.net than can help you set your router for working with your computer.

I don't really know why this happends, but you don't really need to check your upload.
    Think about the server - it sure has more download than upload, that's for sure, so if your downstream is sufficient, you upstream should be too...

GL

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I've got a Win7 64bit lappy here that just took the updates and Speedtest worked fine.... No delay in checking upload speed. (other than the "delay" in my crappy internet speeds)

4. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

I'm assuming that you are using speedtest.net?

If so, have you tried different locations?

I know that I have my Win 7 x64 install up to date with all of the updates, and I had no problem with two different locations (St. Louis, and Chicago).

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids -2 Great-grandsons

I've done some more testing on this. If the Upload doesn't work, it tends not to work on any of the testing sites and I've tried a few.

But, after more testing, I'm leaning toward it being a bad CAT5 cable or switch here at our house. We have a LOT of PCs and XBOX 360s connected via switches, hubs, and the router.

I've been working and need to spend some more time on this.

What does make this a problem is that our PC Online Gaming is affected. For example: Star Trek Online keeps kicking us off due to not sensing any response from our PCs. Keep getting a "Disconnected from Server" situation and have to log back in. But, the XBOX Live gaming is fine. Weird.

I'll update this upon further information.

6. Syndicate2083

Syndicate2083 New Member

I have had some issues after the recent updates as well with my upload. It seems sporadic with my upload. I have a 25mbps/25mbps line and sometimes my up shows .03 with nothing going on. I did some tailoring of my network settings and changed my router MTU to match my PC and it seemed to help. Also upgrading it's FW to the latest. It was really bizarre I had my friends downloading some files and before the updates it was all fine and normal floating between 2.8-3.0MB/s and after were lucky to get 300k