No subwoofer in DS3D

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by Nashrg, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

I have an analog 5.1 speaker setup. Everything here works fine, but I'm not getting sound from the subwoofer in hardware DS3D, in software DS3D it works, but I only get stereo sound.

My Surrounder is configured to 5.1, surround on and bass redirection on with a split freq of 160Hz. Windows speaker setup is at 5.1 also.

The positional audio works fine, I've used Rightmark 3D Sound 1.20 and some games to test.

Can anyone help?

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

what program(s) are you using?

3. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

I'm using Rightmark 3DSound and games (serious sam, painkiller, splinter cell), anything that uses hardware DS3D makes the subwoofer quiet, and in soft DS3D I get only stereo but with the sub working.

In everything else (winamp, media player, etc) the sound is good and the subwoofer works.

4. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

do you have the latest version of directx?

5. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

Yes, 9.0c.

6. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

I forgot to say that I have a SBLive 5.1.

I've searched this forum for someone with a problem like mine but I couldn't find anyone. Tried change the drivers too, 3538a and 3534f, but same thing.

Isn't there any workaround for this situation?

7. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

It shouldn't affect the subwoofer output, but you should have Surround set to Off in Surrounder if you are using 5.1 speakers - otherwise it will mix some or all of the front DirectSound3D sounds into the rear speakers.

Also, what happens when you try the kX Speaker Test applet?

Another thing to try would be clearing your DSP and wiring the DS3D outputs directly to your analog speaker outputs - if that works then you know it's a kX configuration issue (probably with surrounder or the mixer).

EDIT: You may want to try turning off bass redirection as well (e.g. try the 5.1 Direct Path preset in Surrounder) - it's possible that bass redirection clobbers the DS3D subwoofer signal somehow (I don't use Surrounder myself, so I don't know its quirks).

Again, I'd highly recommend using the Speaker Test applet as an easy and quick way to test your DS3D lines.

8. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll turn it off when using DS3D. :lol:

All the speakers respond correctly, even the subwoofer.

I don't know if I make it right:
    I've wired FXBus4 to FXBus9 in "FXBus" directly to the correspondent "Epilog" entries. All the speakers worked fine in the KX test, but still no sub sound in DS3D. :sigh:

No changes. :confused:

9. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Strange... You're sure that you have Windows multimedia properties set to 5.1 mode?

Also, if you click just the subwoofer icon in the test applet, does the sound come out of the subwoofer? I'm wondering if maybe your center and subwoofer are swapped or something - I've seen it happen before.

Other than those possibilities, I'm pretty stumped.

10. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

Yes, the sound configuration in Windows is to 5.1 speakers.

Yes, if I click on the speaker icon for the subwoofer the sound comes out of it, and only from it.

Me too :(
    I think that I'll have to install the Creative crap again if I don't find a solution.

11. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

I just thought of something else to check: Is your hardware acceleration slider in your windows multimedia properties (aka sounds and audio devices)->advanced->performance menu set all the way to the right (full)?

12. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

13. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

Damn... And your default Windows sound device is kX Wave 0/1?

14. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

Yes.

If I choose kX Wave 8/9, the subwoofer plays in the right channel and the center plays in the left channel, in DS3D.

15. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

It sounds like everything is working fine. I just tried RightMark 3DSound 1.0 (after remembering that I still had it installed) and noticed the same behavior that you pointed out. I think the problem may be with that program more than with kX, as my subwoofer works fine in many other applications that use 5.1 sound (well, 5.1 downmixed to 4.1 in the DSP in my case).

Maybe it is a kX bug though - someone would have to test RightMark with the Creative drivers or some other 5.1 sound card and speakers I guess. Certainly kX chokes on some modern games that are supposed to use positional audio, such as Halo and Doom 3.

One thing you can do if you want to force the use of the subwoofer for low frequencies in DS3D apps is to create a custom DSP setup that uses Crossover plugins to split out the bass frequencies from the 5 non-subwoofer DS3D channels, then mix those together with the subwoofer DS3D channel and send the result to the subwoofer output of the DSP. Basically you'd be downmixing 5.1 to 5.0 and then upmixing to 5.1 again ("take off, nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure"). I'm half inclined to try it myself, except that it doesn't bother me enough to overcome my laziness ;)

My intuition though is that the people writing these games and test applications have to specifically tell DS3D to use the subwoofer or something, and that many of these applications don't do it.

You might also want to try playing with DirectSound Control (http://www.parawurst.com/www.bockholdt.com/dsc/index.html), a DirectSound wrapper that lets you force DS/DS3D to behave a certain way (such as using 5.1 as the speaker mode, regardless of what an application or your multimedia settings tell it to use). It works for some apps (e.g. Deus Ex 2) but not others (e.g. Doom 3) for me though...

16. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

Good to know that you are also having the problem. It was making me crazy to think that only I was having this thing. :rolleyes:

I will try that. I think that will work.

I've already tried this, and this thing never worked here in anything that I've tried. I will try again before make adjustments in the DSP.

17. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Do you get this problem with the KX driver version 3537, too?

thomasabarnes

18. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

I'm using 3537 right now, same thing.

19. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Windows probably got messed up on you somewhere. Try using driver cleaner after uninstalling the KX drivers and use Cab Cleaner, too (Cab Cleaner is under tools on the Driver Cleaner toolbar). Then reinstall 3537. If that doesnt work, try a reformat of the HDD that your OS (Operating System) is on, and then, see what happens, if that's not too much of a hassle for you.

Driver Cleaner can be found here: http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

I use 3537 and these drivers work well on my system.

Goodluck

thomasabarnes

20. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

thomasabarnes: Except that I'm experiencing the same thing (with the 3538 dev release). I think it's much more likely that this issue actually exists in kX - I'll bet that if you try RightMark 3DSound you'll notice the same thing too.