No subwoofer in DS3D

Discussion in '3-D Audio' started by Nashrg, Aug 26, 2004.

1. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

I've tried Driver Cleaner, still the same problems.
    I've already tried to format the HDD before ask here for help.

2. thomasabarnes

thomasabarnes Long Time ***** Friend

Hum...

What are the detailed specs for Nashrg's system?
    Are you both running Athlons? Same Motherboard, same soundcard, same drivers for any hardware? the variables can make this very complex.

Seems pretty hard to be a KX driver issue because 3537 is running on other people's system OK. But if u 2 have a common spec about your systems, maybe it can be narrowed down what the problem is.

HunterZ: you say try RightMark 3DSound, and I might find the same problem as u 2 are having? I get 5.1 sound now using 3537, are you saying I dont really get 5.1 even though I hear all the 5.1 speakers working, or what? I dont use such software for tests. I just judge by my ears and what I hear coming from the speakers. Am I missing something here?

thomasabarnes

3. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

My system:

Athlon 2400+ Processor
    ASUS A7V8X-X Motherboard
    512 DDR Kingston Memory
    Geforce FX5200 64-bit 128MB
    Soundblaster Live! 5.1 with 5.1 analog speaker system
    80GB HDD Seagate
    20GB HDD Maxtor

I think he is just saying for you to get Righmark 3DSound and test in your system. Maybe there's some problem with the software and not with kX drivers.:confused:

HunterZ: Can you tell some application or game that works in your system using hardware DS3D? Maybe I can get this and test here, to see if the subwoofer works in it.

4. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

thomasabarnes: No, I'm saying that I get 5.1 sound in some apps and not others, and that Nashrq gets 5,1 sound in some apps and not others, and that as a result I'm betting that the same holds true for you if you're willing to test out the apps we're having issues with (RightMark 3DSound, Doom 3, Halo, etc.).

Let me say that again: some apps DO work with 5.1 (AC3Filter, Unreal Tournament 2004, Morrowind, Diablo 2 - I think), but some apps do NOT work (properly or not at all) with 5.1 on kX (Doom 3, Halo, RightMark 3DSound). From the reports of others who have been as willing to test as thoroughly as I have, I am thorougly convinced that the issues I have with these applications in kX are present and easily reproducable on any system running kX.

BTW, my relevant computer specs are listed in my sig.

With RightMark 3DSound, all you have to do is:
    1. Turn your subwoofer way up.
    2. Run the 3DSound Positional Accuracy Test program. It starts in software mode and we can hear our subwoofers clearly.
    3. Change to hardware mixing and we can no longer hear our subwoofers.

With Halo:
    - Enable hardware sound and things will go haywire (at the very least, you will no longer hear music)

With Doom 3:
    - Enabling surround results in no difference from leaving it disabled. Anything that you hear from your rear speakers is a Prologica or Surrounder trick, and you will not be able to hear sounds that are supposed to be coming from directly behind you no matter what settings you use in Doom 3, Windows, or kX.

Nashrq: I listed a few games and apps currently on my system that work well for me (AC3Filter, Unreal Tournament 2004, Morrowind, Diablo 2). You may want to turn the music off in games when testing, as they usually use Wave 0/1 for the music (which is awesome because I use Prologica on Wave 0/1 so I get ProLogic-like music in addition to 5.1 DS3D positional audio for sounds in many games! This is why I haven't gone back to the Creative drivers actually).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2004
  5. thomasabarnes

OK:

I went and got Righmark 3DSound v1.20. I can hear the subwoofer in hardware mode, but it is louder in software mode. I used the RightMark 3DSound Positioning Accuracy Test. Is that the right test?

I will install Halo and see what I hear.

On the test, if I turn my speakers half way up the subwoofer is shaking loud in the test, but other speakers are considerably louder (all 5). Yet, the subwoofer is shaking loud at the half way up point.

Did u guys say u hear nothing from your subwoofer when conducting the test in hardware mode? If that's the case something is wrong. Btw, I'm using v 3537 of the KX Driver. My system specs are in my signature.

I noticed that you two are using Athlons processors, but I dont think that could be the culprit. I'm stumped. Maybe someone else will reply with a resolve.

Sincerely, thomasabarnes

6. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy?

from what i have heard the rightmark 3d program has issues with some soundcards/drivers - this could be the problem

7. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

I have AC3Filter here and it works great too.

I've found another software to test DS3D too, Audio Winbench.

There's no subwoofer sound in the test of this one too.:tears:

8. thomasabarnes

Nashrg :

I believe you and HunterZ have system specific problems. I used Righmark 3DSound v1.20 (and the v3537 KX driver) and I get sound from my subwoofer, although the sound is not as loud when I used the software mode instead of the hardware accellerated mode in the test.

I installed Halo and played some and found that when hardware accleration is turned on in game options, I dont get music in the game, and music and some audio is missing from the cut scenes, but the subwoofer works as it did in the hardware acceleration mode of the Righmark 3DSound v1.20 test.

I dont know what you all's problem is that your subwoofers dont work in the 3dSound tests and some games (when using hardware acelleration), but to some extent, I believe it's a system specific problem. I do say again, though, that I get no music in the game, and lose music and some audio from cutscenes, when I turn on hardware acelleration from the Halo Game Options menu. However, I do hear the subwoofer when hardware acelleration is on or off in Halo game options. I hear music in game and in the cutscenes when I turn off hardware acelleration in Halo Game Options.

I'm stumped concerning the problem you two have, but good luck with fixing it.

Sincerely, thomasabarnes

9. HunterZ

HunterZ New Member

You misunderstood me. The problems in Halo and Doom 3 were not subwoofer-related. The problems I have in Halo in particular are very similar to what you described. My subwoofer seems to work fine in most DS3D apps other than RightMark 3DSound. I should try v1.20 though to see if that has any effect.

10. thomasabarnes

HunterZ:

OK I C.

Cya around, guy, I'm sure:).

thomasabarnes

11. Nashrg

Nashrg New Member

The subwoofer doen't work with WinDVD e PowerDVD too (when in 5.1 mode, it works fine in stereo).