noise filter plugin

Discussion in 'Effects and the DSP' started by totya, Feb 15, 2011.

1. totya

totya New Member

Hi, noise filter plugin of KX available? I want filter microphone noise, source is simple speak. Noise gate not really good, because noise is high. Thanks!

2. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

What type of noise?

A noise gate is really for removing noise during parts that should be silent.

e.g.
    With electric guitar distortion, you can get hum, etc which is not noticeable when you are playing (it is covered up by the distortion), but stands out when you stop playing. A noise gate can work good for this type of scenario. However for recording voice with a MIC, there is nothing to mask the noise while you are speaking (or singing or whatever), so a noise gate is not gonna help much (but again it depend on the type of noise). The first thing you should do is try to find the cause of the noise and eliminate it if possible. Depending on the type of noise, it may be possible to remove some of it using EQ, etc (e.g. AC (electricity) hum, as it is at a specific frequency... though it is still better to eliminate it at it's source if possible (e.g. find a better AC outlet, or get rid of ground loops, etc).

Also you could try this: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/effects-dsp/69790-i-made-noise-canceller-filter-get-here.html or this: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/effects-dsp/69525-dsp-challenge-feedback-killer.html

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. totya

totya New Member

Hi, thx for answer! I wrote: "source is simple speak". Noise type is... noise. Microphone has far away from my mouth, required amplified is high, therefore noise is high. I know what is the different between noise filter and noise gate. I use EQ already certainly.
    I see ur links, thanks.
    First link plugin/tweak slider don't work with 3551, slider is can't move. Many plugins slider can't move with 3551.

Noise canceller filter plugin need two inputs. First (primary) input is the signal (here: mic) and second input (reference) is noise. If no speak, result is only noise. But I don't know how create input of noise canceller (reference) from noise. I can record noise to wav, but I can't add this wav file to DSP.

4. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

"noise" or "microphone noise" is not a specific term, it can mean many things, so it is hard to give a definitive answer...

When you amplify a MIC signal you amplify any background noise that the MIC might pick up, plus any noise that may be picked up by the cabling or electrical components, plus the noise floor, (and there is potential feedback, etc) etc. When you say "noise", it can mean any, or all of the above.

Again the best solution is to get rid of the cause of the noise if possible (e.g. (if the main problem is that the MIC is too far away) move the MIC closer (if possible) so it does not have to be amplified as much, or use a better MIC (maybe a directional MIC), etc. If this is for chatting on the computer, you might consider a headset, etc.

Beyond the above, you are unlikely to find any DSP plugin that will do a great job at auto-noise removal (the DSP is limited on resources, and there are many types of noise)... And if the noise has many frequency components in your vocal speaking range, it could be difficult to remove the noise without affecting the vocals too.

You mentioned that you are already using EQ, but you did not give any details... You might try a bandpass filter set to reject frequencies outside your vocal range and see if that helps. You can also try using notch filters... start with a wide setting (low Q) and sweep it across the frequency range and see if you can find what frequencies the noise(s) is located at... then go narrower (higher Q) and narrower to try to zero in on it, etc (see if you can find a setting that gets rid of the noise without affecting your vocals in an unacceptable way). You might try using ASIO and a VST Spectrum Analyzer to locate the noise peaks, to give you an idea of what EQ settings will work best, etc (plus you could try some VST noise reduction plugin(s)). Note: With some noise sources, the frequency may not be constant, which can make EQ type filtering more difficult.

As for the slider problem with 3551a, I posted a possible workaround here: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/general-discussion/206609-3551-alpha-released-2.html#post1402075

As for your wav file, you cannot add it to the DSP, but you can play it to the DSP (maybe set to loop), but I do not know if that will help. Really I do not know much about the plugin.

Anyway, just some suggestions (you did not give a lot of details, so I do not know (specifically) what you have already tried (and I am not an expert on the subject))...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011