Non standard 6 pin fan RGB connectors

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by dawgXdenta, Mar 11, 2022.

1. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta Well-Known Member

Hey guys. I've been too lazy/ to look into this but finally I've decided it's finally time to actually sync up the colors on my motherboard and everything that I have that glows. The problem is I have a non standard 6 pin fan RGB connectors. Which connect to a small 6 pin hub.

To paint a clearer picture I have a cosair RGB headset, a cosair mouse, a non RGB keyboard.( Woops) an addressable aura Asus motherboard. And non standard case fans and case lights that are 6 pin that have Thier own little 6 pin hub (bleaugh) . THIS DOES NOT connect to the ARGB connectors on my motherboard which are 4 pin. & 3 pin. It merely takes a up a power connector.

Who came up with this brilliant niche solution!? I mean.... Why.
    Anyways my case fans don't sync up with my aura/cosair lights.

So... Any setups or advice you could give me. I've been looking for 4 pin to 6 pin adapters so that the I can just connect the weird hub to the motherboard. Instead of scrapping the fans and RGB lights and just getting cosair fans for $150 I'm trying to go for the cheaper solution.

Besides I really like the fans, they are big quiet and colorful. Only their connectors SUCK.

2. dawgXdenta

3. dawgXdenta

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Did the fans come with the case? Who made them? I know 0 about RGB stuff, but I guess we can get the basic stuff cleared before someone who knows more shows up.

5. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

there are a bunch of proprietary garbage RGB/ARGB case fans and lighting solutions specific to the case.

Gamdias is a case brand for example that builds shitty fans that use a 5 pin layout.

Most often, a 5 or 6 pin layout has both the fan power as well as rgb built together as a single connector. Converting it can get a little tedius and if you bugger anything up, risk melting things instantly.

A 5 pin fan will have 2 for power and 3 for ARGB typically. I have however seen a 5 pin in which the RGB (not ARGB) uses 4 pins and the 1 extra pin is shared for the fan power which is bloody stupid (RGB uses 12v where as ARGB is 5v). 6 pin typically employ the same thing, but the 6th will either be for a dedicated seperate power for the RGB connector (4 for it) and 2 for the fan... OR it'll be 3 for ARGB and 3 for the fan (providing sensor information on the 3rd).

Personally.. don't bother trying to make it work, pull the fans out.. and put some universally standardized fans in. I've lost count of how many fans i've junked because they were complete trash like this.

6. dawgXdenta

I can't remember the name of the brand. :D. One of those Chinese off brands. I got it from newegg. & Yes they came with the case.

Ahh this was it:
    https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811353134

Last edited: Mar 11, 2022
  7. dawgXdenta

Yeah I don't know why some companies out there wanna be special and unique and create something that's totally impractical..

Sounds like it's not worth it to get the adapters and I might just end up buggering up my PC for nothing. It does seem like there are some solutions out there. On eBay I've seen some adapters but if it risks my PC I think I will do it then

8. Calliers

Calliers Trophy Hunter Staff Member

Well I agree with @Judas, just get some proper new fans. That is why I don't mind shelling out a little extra and getting a proper case to begin with.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    arb65912 likes this.
  9. dawgXdenta

Just an update fellas. I got these fans:
    I got these coz I alkready have cosair a mouse and headphones.
    I figured i will just get these as part of the icue suite.
    Icue doesnt play well with other software my Aura sync doesnt recognize them.

[​IMG]

Mr Cairo, IvanV and Calliers like this.
  10. Calliers

Calliers Trophy Hunter Staff Member

Cool.... :cool: